Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Figure I would start a new thread on 3D stuff rather than hijack the other thread. I have had a good time learning about 3d Printers and dinking around with them over the past 2 years. It wasn't until I started taking a few pics for the other thread until I realized how much I actually use the printer to make everyday practical stuff. Thought I would share with the group. First off, find that I make a lot of hanger brackets and mounts:

In the garden:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a dedicated sprinkler for watering a single specific plant / bush at the base.
[Linked Image]

Once you have a basic 3D design for a part, it is very easy to modify it, stretch it, shrink it to accommodate a new use.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I wanted a firm mount for my rain gauge in the garden.

[Linked Image]

As most are aware, T-posts have an "orientation". Once in the ground they cannot be rotated vertically. So I made the mount in 2 pieces...

[Linked Image]

.. with a splined coupling that allows me to rotate the rain gauge on 30 degree increments to allow for best viewing angle from the house.

And garden signs as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We are on our 3rd year of locally grown beef. I hate "patting out" hamburgers. So, a couple hamburger presses:

[Linked Image]

Small one = 1/3 lb patty. Large one = 1/2 lb patty.

[Linked Image]

Removable bottoms pop out to make it easier to get the burger out. Printed with ABS filament to make them food safe and dishwasher safe.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do you have one of the 3d scanners as well?
I always though the combination would be great for small "out of production" parts in classic vehicle repair/restoration/maintenance...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
A few more hanger brackets:

For long stuff. I got tired of having my trekking poles propped in a corner behind a door.

[Linked Image]

Now, to utilize the space that that I freed up behind the door:

[Linked Image]

For secure stowage to keep small things from rolling around on the bench / desk:

[Linked Image]

Double scalloped to securely hold 1" and 30mm main tubes:

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Since this is technically a hunting and firearms related site...

Easy, peasy, light mount:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And with a light more effort, work in progress:

[Linked Image]

The cheek riser will actually sit significantly lower on the stock when I swap out the thick double sided tape for the thin 3m adhesive that God-A-Grip uses on their products. However, it is not a bad sight picture as is...

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Finally, a project I have been working on for a year. Still work in progress. Most folks here know that I am left handed. Many know that I am VERY picky with regard to rifle ergonomics and fit. So, figured I would find a way to 3D print a stock that fit "me"... Significant undertaking. "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time..."

Step1:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Concept is to develop a modular design:
1) Center section tailored to specific make/brand/model/length/orientation of action. (Right hand, Pre-64 M70, .300H&H pictured) smile
2) Fore end options to suit the shooter. eg: feather weight, standard, Forbes/NULA rounded square, Biesen "wide oval", Rem Varmint, 3" flat BR.
3) Likewise, butt stock with low/med/high comb, LOP, wrist open/med/vertical, cast on/off...

Pick one from Column A, one from Column B, one from Column C. Use the magic of 3D design to merge/meld the three components. Feed it to the printer. And in a few days later, a truly custom stock. No need for a $25K-$50K custom mold for a one off design. Or, print the three pieces independently, and find an appropriate means to bond/fuse them together... Printing three separate pieces would allow the option to use different filaments and infill values for each sub assembly. eg: center section at 50% infill with carbon fiber filament. Fore end and butt stock from less exotic filaments at 20-30% infill.

For reference, the center section above weighs right at 4 oz at 20% infill, and is STIFF. I can not force any flex in the part.

As stated above, I have been a year, part time, getting this far. Long ways to go. But will update at significant mile stones...

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Do you have one of the 3d scanners as well?
I always though the combination would be great for small "out of production" parts in classic vehicle repair/restoration/maintenance...

Yes, I finally invested in a scanner for my latest project. There are some excellent videos of the scanner on the internet and vendor websites. HOWEVER, this is the one item I fear I may not get a reasonable return for investment. I have 6-8 hours into scanning various small objects. I have yet to get a clean scan that I would bother 3D printing.... It could totally be me.

Part of my rationale for the scanner was an eye toward repairing non-load bearing ag equipment parts that crack/break, etc.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a nephew with a PhD in glass engineering. He's a materials scientist for a large lab and some of his work is running around on Mars on the last rover. He said he's recently been switched to a new division developing ways to use 3D printers for making lots of new stuff in their work. He's getting paid big money for playing with company owned toys.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
That barrel holder is a damn good idea.

What 3D printer are you using?

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a nephew with a PhD in glass engineering. He's a materials scientist for a large lab and some of his work is running around on Mars on the last rover. He said he's recently been switched to a new division developing ways to use 3D printers for making lots of new stuff in their work. He's getting paid big money for playing with company owned toys.

Company I recently hired on with is using 3D printers to create production tooling. I would be amenable to being paid "big bucks" to play with a 3D printer. smile

Originally Posted by dye7barrel
That barrel holder is a damn good idea.

What 3D printer are you using?

Thank you. Creality CR10 "Smart Pro" ... direct drive metal extruder and fully heated bed.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Orion,

Thank you for posting.

What CAD program are you using?

I really like you T-post mount. Cleaver yet simple, and looks stout.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post.
I've wanted a printer for a few years now. I built a CNC plasma table for my shop a few years ago so I already have a handle on the technical aspects and CAD. I think it would really add to what we can put out the door for product.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Orion,

Thank you for posting.

What CAD program are you using?

I really like you T-post mount. Cleaver yet simple, and looks stout.

Using Tinker-CAD at the moment. Pretty basic, but easy to use. Have used Sketch-up in the past. However, cannot seem to get clean STL files out of Sketch-up that slice well with CURA. I will need to bone up on a more robust CAD tool for the fore end and butt stock assemblies.

"Stout" ... Rear storm door faces prevailing wind. Printed a drip guard to prevent rain from blowing in around the door. Used PLA resin which is the most "bio-degradable" of the 3D resins. Shown below after 1 year in service. Zero damage to the drip guard after two recent 70-80 mph straight line wind events that caused significant damage to roof and took down several nearby trees. The "sag" in the drip guard is due to deformation of the substrate it is fastened to...

[Linked Image]

Printed in sections. Joined with CA glue.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Good post.
I've wanted a printer for a few years now. I built a CNC plasma table for my shop a few years ago so I already have a handle on the technical aspects and CAD. I think it would really add to what we can put out the door for product.

If you are already in the designer / builder / tinker mindset, you will have no issues ramping up 3D printing. Additive manufacturing: Instead of taking a block of steel and machining away what you do NOT want, you start with a spool of filament and add what you DO want...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've made some pretty cool and useful gadgets. Reminds me of the saying about necessity being the mother of invention.

I've never gotten into it, but my 16 year old son is into 3D printing. He designs and builds a lot of things including an ashtray delete panel for his car that accepts accessory switches. This past Christmas he used the school's scanner to scan a Milwaukee drill, brought the file home and printed this motorized miniature "Lil'waukee" drill, battery and case for my gift.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We started 3D stacking steel in the past few years.

Think of a high quality MiG welder with a XYZ axis

Of course it isn't as clean nor is it acceptable as a finished part so there is still a lot of machining performed on these parts.

We've used 3D since the 90''s to create prototypes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yep. Somewhere on the internet is picture of 3D printed (wire welded) crane hook that was stress tested to 80,000 lb load.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
cool stuff. Always wondered if you could print a stock center piece that would take a wood forend and butt stock . Kinda a like an Omega rifle made by Homer Koon. It had a rotary magazine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot some .177 pellets in my .22 cal Diana Bandit PCP pistol. Took out the first two aluminum wipes. Printed a monocore insert and tried it out today indoors at the club. Works fine, quiet.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5985238

Last edited by Szumi; 04/23/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 3,243 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,814
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.