[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I suggest giving the Sightron S1's a serious look.

https://sightron.com/collections/s1-series

Al, I was not aware of this 1.75x5x32 model. This one is a consideration.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Trijicon credo 3-9x40 comes in at 17oz. Solid scopes. Am impressed with them so far.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Al:

I'm looking to give the 1.75-5 S1 a try on a couple of old school levers. Have you ran any of that model since they came out?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I suggest giving the Sightron S1's a serious lok.

Al:

I'm looking to give the 1.75-5 S1 a try on a couple of old school levers. Have you ran any of that model since they came out?
I'd be interested to hear how that works out. I considered it but I had a Sightron S-1 before and didn't like their wider than average duplex with very thin center crosshairs that were quick to disappear in fading light. It appears Sightron has stuck with those same crosshairs on the G-2's. It also appears to suffer from the trendy overly bloated ocular bell and power ring that are so popular today and might require higher rings than I want on my lever rifles in order to clear the hammer. Those negatives plus the nearly 13 oz. weight made me cross it off my list as a lever gun scope.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flufftart,

Your "life's" supply of fired cases,wouldn't fill the bottom of a TicTac dispenser...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Good luck. I've recently been looking for a good, lightweight, low power variable to put on a lever gun and there ain't any. Even Leupold fuucked up their 1-4x20 and 1.5-5x20 with CDS turrets and stupid ass reticles unsuited for close range hunting in dark woods. Everything else is too big and/or heavy with giant eye bells, huge power rings, goofy ass throw levers, 30mm tubes, turrets the size of an Aztec burial mound and/or reticles that look like a goddam Christmas tree. Came to the conclusion I'm going to have to buy used because NOBODY makes a good HUNTING scope for a lever gun anymore.
Preach, brother!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Typically run Leupold fixed powers but they seem to have fallen out of favor here, .

Only here, and only with a few paid hatchet men and their followers. Leupold still killing game outside of 24hour land all day every day.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Good luck. I've recently been looking for a good, lightweight, low power variable to put on a lever gun and there ain't any. Even Leupold fuucked up their 1-4x20 and 1.5-5x20 with CDS turrets and stupid ass reticles unsuited for close range hunting in dark woods. Everything else is too big and/or heavy with giant eye bells, huge power rings, goofy ass throw levers, 30mm tubes, turrets the size of an Aztec burial mound and/or reticles that look like a goddam Christmas tree. Came to the conclusion I'm going to have to buy used because NOBODY makes a good HUNTING scope for a lever gun anymore.
Preach, brother!

Agree with the sentiment. The 1.5-5x20 was always the easy button for a decent quality lightweight, compact scope. I have a few of the VX-2 ultralights, which are also among my favorites. That clean, used ultralights are bringing about $100 more than they sold for when new is probably a good indicator of supply vs. demand for scopes of this type.

Guess I will need to turn in my man card now.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Al:

I'd be interested to hear how that works out. I considered it but I had a Sightron S-1 before and didn't like their wider than average duplex with very thin center crosshairs that were quick to disappear in fading light. It appears Sightron has stuck with those same crosshairs on the G-2's. It also appears to suffer from the trendy overly bloated ocular bell and power ring that are so popular today and might require higher rings than I want on my lever rifles in order to clear the hammer. Those negatives plus the nearly 13 oz. weight made me cross it off my list as a lever gun scope.

I've had good luck with several Sightrons over the past couple of decades. Haven't found their duplex to be limiting for my uses. The 13 oz doesn't bother me. Main concern is reliability, which I haven't always found with several models of lighter scopes that have smaller ocular housings. I want something that holds zero after a lot of knocking about on FS roads and while tripping over snow covered deadfall while putting the track on or still hunting second and third growth timber. I'd prefer a #4 variety reticle, but is what it is. Center is center.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some folks actually shoot and it's never been difficult to understand who do and who don't...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The antithesis of Reupold. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Fhuqkin LAUGHING!................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Al:

I've had good luck with several Sightrons over the past couple of decades. Haven't found their duplex to be limiting for my uses. The 13 oz doesn't bother me. Main concern is reliability, which I haven't always found with several models of lighter scopes that have smaller ocular housings. I want something that holds zero after a lot of knocking about on FS roads and while tripping over snow covered deadfall while putting the track on or still hunting second and third growth timber. I'd prefer a #4 variety reticle, but is what it is. Center is center.
My old Sightron holds the distinction of being the only scope I ever had internally fog so it didn't get high marks for reliability.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I been down the rabbit hole for reliability in scopes. Lots will hold up to recoil, few can survive even a small fall on their side. Trijicon would serve you well, but I need alpha glass, so I just ordered a Schmidt. If you were shooting Leupold, then trijicon glass should look normal/good. I believe it's LOW Glass. I'm sorry to say, Leupold is failing in the reliability realm these days. NOT just here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

Al, I was not aware of this 1.75x5x32 model. This one is a consideration.
Agree ^^
I'd have to buy a new rifle to put it on. This place is really good about spending my money.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Swarovski Z3 3-9 and 3-10 are under 16 oz (actually 12-13). I have had good luck with my 3-9s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It appears that my Reupold MK4 Spotter is delaminating a coating internally,from 2:30 to 7:30 on all magnifications. Hint.

Though it has puked on me before. Hint.

Reupold Mk4 M3 6x getting pried offa' new S/S 70 Classic Alaskan Express Six-bits,after the first outing this morning. Thought I could trick myself and make a go of it. Nope. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqk the rear sight boss,4" of spout and .685" at 21" is a nice place to be. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That turned out well.

I’ve not done the chop, but the contour on the SC version is a hell of a lot more palatable than the old CT version (0.81”@21”)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My gut hunch was on THE money. Hint.(grin)

Winchester is amongst the BEST at fhuqking up contours,throat geometry,COAL latitude,RPM and stock design. This fhuqking thing at 3.610" COAL,is leaping well over .100"++,with 270 Speer BTSP's. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.