Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I wore a Kelty backpack on two dall sheep hunts. One hunt was in the Brooks for 7 days in 1979, shot a full curl ram as well as a caribou. The other hunt was in the Crystalline Hills (sp) along the road from Chitna to McCarthy. That hunt was short but shot a nice ewe. Think it was 1995. The interesting thing about this hunt was we left the truck at 5 am, climbed all day to reach the top, shot and boned out the ewe, and on our way back down observed a nice billy goat about 200 yards away in a easy to get to spot. If I had stopped at F&G for a registration permit before hand could have shot it. Not too many hunters could claim a dall and a goat within a 1 days hike/hunt of their truck.
Live and learn, lol
The Kelty backpack performed fine. I do remember wishing the shoulder straps had more padding when the pack was loaded with meat.
However, after owning and using a Barney’s I would never go back to that Kelty.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had an early 90’s Kelty internal frame that brings back good memories. It was my first real backpack. I bought it for about $90 when I was 16.

I wanted an Osprey or Gregory but couldn’t afford it. I did a of couple of wilderness deer hunts and a lot of backpacking with it. I used that pack and made more memories with it than any that I’ve owned since.

Great times.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
They are great (without the pack, just the frame) for packing out meat, or for packing in a light camp, but no good to carry while hunting.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Still do. Bought this model in about 70, at Barney's, or maybe Gary King's in ANC , acquired another same model and size in about 75 with remote cabin purchase, bought my wife one her size same year. I wore out one of mine (broken frame), but we are still hunting/ camping with the other 2, with better straps and bands than the originals.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I can find a legal one of these next year, it will get real work again. I took this pic from between pack and staff with iphone SE. Birch above high point of pack frames the moose on the right, in that pic.

Last edited by las; 11/01/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Plumdog
They are great (without the pack, just the frame) for packing out meat, or for packing in a light camp, but no good to carry while hunting.

Matter of opinion. And perhaps what, where, how one hunts, and definition of "hunting". I've probably carried mine upwards or over 1,000 miles while hunting, or packing in to hunt, or working USFS trail crew back in the day, going back 55 years. Noisy and catchy when woods slip hunting, true, but it's never a good idea to hunt without the pack along. Better ones for this, probably, but I'm not carrying around TWO packs!, or buying an expensive new "modern" one for what limited usage I have left, nor am I going back perhaps several or many miles to fetch it from truck or camp. The thing has proved itself sufficient for over 50 years now. I see no reason to get another. Heck, I'd buy another just like it if I needed one and could find it. You will notice mine is no longer in the best of shape.....

Bitsy deer near a road back East....meh! A day, fanny or internal frame pack, or just a drag rope works, yeah... Perhaps miles across tundra, alpine or woods without vehicular access, you had better be hunting with your meat-packing pack on - it's got your daily possibles in it for one thing. I shortened the stock of my .338WM rifle that I could, and did, shoot it offhand, over the packs strap, while slip hunting in woods for "any bull". Antler regs have since changed, as has my technique, but the rifle hasn't. A half dozen dead jumped-up moose while slip-hunting belie the "no good while hunting". Not saying it's "best", but far from "no good", at least then and how.

Our last previous hunting usage until this year (posted above) of our packs for hunting/meat hauling was a walk-in caribou hunt 5 years ago. Packs worked well packing, with bags still on, knees not so much, packing out 2 bulls on successive days about a mile and a half, down-hill. In fact, I shot my bull on a quickie sit- down and shoot scenario, pack still on, while hiking back to the truck for something on the first day. We took the Rancher the next year, and my wife bought herself an ATV right after that. We are old, but not completely stupid. Hell Yeah!!! smile

My pack still goes along on that hunt, on the ATV. Might have to get the meat out of someplace the ATV can't go, or I'm not willing to chance riding it, and it's, as said, the "possibles" bag, ready to hand, tho not worn. It can be, and has, with meat on the machine. I have just such a place in mind for next year.... maybe 700 yards if I drop one where I think I will. I will leave the ATV (and possibly a camp) up on top of a steep slope, about 4 miles in. I and the pack go down and over to the other side of a pass, where I will set up on a knoll, covering the pass behind, and the slope beyond, where I watched caribou come down this year. Max 350-400 yard shot either way. Any time one can cover darn near a half-mile of travel route from one central shooting location is good - even if there is a bit of a meat pack involved. Tell me I'm not "hunting".

If I have someone else there to recover my body, I think there is a somewhat indirect way down, and more importantly, back up that slope, with meat. Solo - the ATV stays up top. And probably even with a partner there. It's puckerish and maybe not worth the risk.... Or maybe two trips per bull... Depends on the level of "hold my canteen" that day. smile

I made/improved a 2-man tent/tarp camping spot up there behind a big rock face, if the wind direction is same (about 20mph!) as this year, or calm. Go in day before opener. Assuming it is still a registration hunt. It was something to do that last afternoon this year, only cows and calves coming through.

Wife and I took 3 full curl Dall's rams in 3 successive years, 18 miles back-packing back -in in the mid-70's with those newly acquired packs. The first year was solo for me, and my pack load coming out was greater than my own 150# weight. Two 14 hour days... Slow, with rests every 100 yards or so, including going over a 5300 foot peak between truck and the kill, both at about 3500. Had to roll over onto my knees and climb the rifle to get to my feet if I didn't have a rock or slope to rest the pack on.

I did have to replace the bands and straps after that trip tho. smile. 50 years ago this year, and at least one more set of straps and bands since the first replacement. Good packs!

That kind of crap is way behind me, now. Maybe.... With the possible exception of a couple 100# moose hinds ( I hope!) for short distances, otherwise nothing over 75 if I can help it. 50 is mo-betta.

And for the first time ever, I'll do some pre-moose-season conditioning. I'm not finding this stuff as much "fun" as it used to be.

Last edited by las; 11/01/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad bought some kind of Kelty, with the square frame, not huge, in the late 1960s. As I got big enough, I used it and man, it fit and carried big loads, the only issue being hooking the darn frame on something. But if it wasn't too brushy and jungly, what a helper.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10Glocks, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,945
Posts18,480,184
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.