Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Al, iffin I had to pay 15-16 cents for a primer, 38 cents for powder and 30-50 cents for a bullet minus the case is roughly 90 cents per + time, I wouldn’t say that’s the time to start, and I have been loading 25.06 since 86.

Swifty
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I reload so I have ammo, just picked up 2000 more bullets to add to my supplies.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished knocking the gay out of some 270 WIN brass and made some fine upstanding 25-06 out of it. Ya ought to try it. It's a most satisfying hobby within a hobby.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And then you get to chamber cartridges stamped 270 into a 25cal chamber!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
And then you get to chamber cartridges stamped 270 into a 25cal chamber!

More fun than 270 is 280 and 30.06.

Swifty
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Hey Al, iffin I had to pay 15-16 cents for a primer, 38 cents for powder and 30-50 cents for a bullet minus the case is roughly 90 cents per + time, I wouldn’t say that’s the time to start, and I have been loading 25.06 since 86.

I just looked @ Midway for a baseline. 23 offerings for 25-06 (only a couple available). Least expensive is $1.32/shot Prvi Partizan, next is Hornady Whitetail @ $1.50/shot, then everything is $2+ per shot.

Yes, there is a cost for your time, and the equipment and components to get up and running.

There is IMO, a much larger cost to not having what you want, when you want it.

I tell those who ask me about the economics of reloading:

"No, you won't save any $$, you'll spend the same amount you do now, but, you'll get more shots for that $$."

The days of $9.99/box of blue-box Federal, green and yellow Rem, or grey-box Winchesters for a week or two preceding deer opener are very unlikely to be seen again.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’m still shooting ammo that uses this priced primers.
I think factory ammo is a source of brass.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1

I just looked @ Midway for a baseline. 23 offerings for 25-06 (only a couple available). Least expensive is $1.32/shot Prvi Partizan, next is Hornady Whitetail @ $1.50/shot, then everything is $2+ per shot.

Yes, there is a cost for your time, and the equipment and components to get up and running.

"No, you won't save any $$, you'll spend the same amount you do now, but, you'll get more shots for that $$."

The days of $9.99/box of blue-box Federal, green and yellow Rem, or grey-box Winchesters for a week or two preceding deer opener are very unlikely to be seen again.

Sh*t, you might as well go to Scheels as a baseline as Midway is just as bad for wanting full retail and then some. Potterfield hasn’t had any deals in years.

Swifty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Sh*t, you might as well go to Scheels as a baseline as Midway is just as bad for wanting full retail and then some. Potterfield hasn’t had any deals in years.

OK, $1.20/shot is still $.30/shot more than your hand loading example. Still a 25% savings, and the chance @ better availability if a person nabs a few things when they're available.
Originally Posted by Bugger

Where did you find 25-06 brass that uses small rifle primers? grin grin grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

OK, $1.20/shot is still $.30/shot more than your hand loading example. Still a 25% savings, and the chance @ better availability if a person nabs a few things when they're available.

No I said minus brass if you saved it. If not add 75-80 cents per.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by kwg020
The .257 Roberts seems to be in trouble as well. Is it because of the 6.5 Creedmore ??

kwg
The .257 Roberts has been in short supply for years. Federal dropped production a couple of years ago and Remington is just Remington. Hornady dropped several popular .257 bullets and not sure if they are producing ammo either. The .257 Roberts for all its virtues is a handloading affair. Not likely to change.

I always wanted both the 25-06 and .257 Roberts but just didn't have a real need for either one. I understand the 25-06 can shoot the light weight bullets approaching 4000 fps. That sounds fun.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Bingo.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once had the misguided itch for all things 25 caliber, hence my moniker 257 Bob. I bought and chambered rifles in 250-3000, 257R (3), 257R Improved, 25-06 and 257 Wby. My sons used the 250-3000 on about ten deer, all one shot kills and I used the 25-06 for a few years with good results (the only failure was with Ballistic Tips, deer was recovered but took multiple shots to put it down, no more BTs for me after that). These days, my safe is void of all things 25, they were useful and entertaining but I concluded that if you had a 270 Win, you didn't need a 25 or a 6.5 for that matter. I do have one 6.5 but I admit it's nothing special, just amusement.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I have Remington 9 1/2 and 9 1/2 M that was purchased at the same time, but boxes didn't have a price on them. I did buy some primers that were for an AR 308 that had thicker cups and I paid and outrageous price of a little over $.02 each - almost $.03 each.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Bingo.

Hey Al just when in the last 3 years have you been able buy what you want when you wanted it?

Bugger, I just used the last brick of my SRP that had a price on the box of 9.99. Now working on 14.99 per.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 1977 I had been reading P.O. Ackley's books and decided that I needed a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved for my deer and antelope hunting. I had a FFL at the time, so I bought a Mauser Mark X barreled action in .25-06 and had a local gunsmith re-chamber it to .257 Ackley. I stocked in a piece of fancy walnut from Fajen and for about 45 years it has been one of my favorite rifles. It's ballistics are just slightly less than those of a .25-06, but the .257 AI case looks a whole lot cooler.

It's put a Mule or Whitetail deer and a Pronghorn antelope into my freezer most of those years. And it has put the mounts of 4 of those antelope, 3 Bighorn rams, a Dall ram, a Mountain Caribou, a Wolverine, and my 2nd best 6x6 bull Elk on the walls of my Trophy Room.

I hopefully have another 10 or so more years of hunting, and my .257 Ackley easily fills the gap between my .22-250 and my 7mm Rem mag or my .300 Weatherby so I see no reason to waste my money on a 6.5 manbun or any other new wiz bang cartridge that the rifle and ammunition manufacture's come up with just to increase their sales.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 25 through 7mm calibers all handle the same critters with pretty much equal aplomb. Deer-sized game on down. The .25s do it with less recoil.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the .25-06 Rem and .260 Rem. They'll easily handle anything I want to hunt at ranges I'm willing to shoot at, with low recoil and economical loading costs.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
On my way to a dental appointment, I swung by one of my local gun shops. I could have walked out with every component needed to load 25-06....brass, primers, three different bullets, powder and dies.

Not much of a hill for even a poor climber. wink

Forbidden Zoner
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

No I said minus brass if you saved it. If not add 75-80 cents per.

Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Bingo.

Hey Al just when in the last 3 years have you been able buy what you want when you wanted it?

Bugger, I just used the last brick of my SRP that had a price on the box of 9.99. Now working on 14.99 per.

Are you concerned that someone is going to buy the very last bits of 25-06 components left in the world? Totally freaked out that the OP will drive from CO to NE and nab them just before you have a chance?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
get some one on here that loads 25-06 to load you a couple of boxes or a friend load a couple of boxes for you ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (22250rem, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,398
Posts18,488,906
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.