Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Here in central Mississippi, we just had three male and two female grosbeaks at our feeders. We’ve seen one or two before but never three males at the same time.

Evening grosbeaks are maybe my favorite. They're my fishing camp buddies. Up on the upper reaches of the St Croix they show up and much further north in Canada they are more common. They are friendly little buggers and in rough weather they don't mind seeking shelter inside the camp under cover to get out of the weather. They're polite and do not steal food, and a little chirpy at times which is welcome when it's too ugly our to fish. They seem to appreciate warm and dry about as much as I do.

Last edited by MILES58; 04/28/23.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Courious,how will we know if this has a really negative impact on the tweeters?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SOb we just got beat to death with hail

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I keep hope open for those Whoopers over in Horicon to make it over to Fish Lake and Crex with some of the Sand Hill Cranes, but I haven't seen them mixed yet like down on the Platt

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Interesting stuff, 'watcher. Any updates on, or even a way to know how many fell out?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And if the little birdies manage to make the flight, guess who is waiting for them:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We had that wind all day today.

It sucked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hell storm that came through my joint was only 1” but dense as hell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SupFoo
And if the little birdies manage to make the flight, guess who is waiting for them:

I could fill a 55 gallon drum with just the house cats we've killed on my property here in Florida.

People keep buying them and letting them roam, I keep blasting them when they show up here.

They seem to be attracted to the Cardinals that hang in the low brush around my place.

My dogs have perfected a sneak and destroy technique that's pretty effective, the quick cats that make it up a tree to evade the dogs get dropped with my 25 caliber air rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rong
Courious,how will we know if this has a really negative impact on the tweeters?

Most likely we won’t because

1. Our estimates of bird populations aren’t that exact across their wide ranges.
2. There are a whole bunch of other mortality factors in play.
3. Many areas have extra birds that don’t get to breed due to competition, these will take up the slack.
4. Only a small fraction of any species is crossing the gulf on any given night. Exactly when they come back is always a roll of the dice and is largely genetic, early birds benefit in mild springs but get hammered by late spring cold snaps. Late birds might not get to breed at all unless the early ones get taken out.

Hurricanes and tropical storms in the fall are at least as common as late April cold fronts and must play havoc with birds crossing the gulf, many of which must get scattered way out over the ocean.

The only weather event we know for a fact hammered a migrant bird population was Hurricane Wilma, third week of October 2005. The eye crossed Florida and moved up parallel to the coast just offshore clear past Newfoundland.

Afterwards more than 700 dead chimney swifts were found in Europe. IIRC Live ones were reported from Scotland to Spain. Imagine how many of these small birds must have died such that 700 were picked up, and how many more never made it to land. More than that how many kazillion other songbirds that don’t fly as well as chimney swifts perished at sea.

The scattered live swifts if they were able to feed at all would possibly head back west over the Atlantic in a doomed attempt to reach the headwaters of the Amazon where they winter.

Turns out most of those swifts were from the Eastern Canadian population, which was down by 50% the following year. We know this because chimney swift populations, because they actually do nest in chimneys (used to be hollow trees) are relatively easy to count.

If they had been forest birds, which are best counted by vague measures like the number of singing males over relatively tiny census areas in the spring, the loss wouldn’t have been nearly that obvious.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My wife said she saw a NOTAM (Notice To Air Mission…used to be Notice To AirMen) on the flights out of Costa Rica warning of migrating birds and cautioning aircraft to be aware of the potential for bird strikes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
1. Our estimates of .....

Who is "we"? You belong to some bird club?

How come your migration maps show zero migration through CO? That seems impossible.

Here's a pic of a Kestrel in a cottonwood across the street from my house. He had just caught a mouse in the meadow grass and flown up on the limb. Bad Ass, huh.

He and his mate have been nesting in that same tree for several years. The hen is very nondescript. Most peeps would look right past her sitting on the barbed wire.

One of my neighbors took the pic, he knows what he's doing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
From the link birdy provided:

Note that many radars in mountainous areas (e.g. the Rockies) have obstructions that restrict radar coverage, providing the appearance of no migration where migration may be occurring.

Hope that was helpful.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

Note that many radars in mountainous areas (e.g. the Rockies) have obstructions that restrict radar coverage, providing the appearance of no migration where migration may be occurring.

Hope that was helpful.

I saw that, but there are no mountains in the eastern half. Same with Montana too. Course there isn't chit for trees either, at least compared to heavy migration areas noted.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
1. Our estimates of .....

Who is "we"? You belong to some bird club?

Absolutely, it’s called All of Humanity, and we think we know what we know from the activities of a few hundred Ornithologists, mostly across the collective Western world.

How come your migration maps show zero migration through CO? That seems impossible.

It’s not a perfect measure, but is based upon concrete data in the form of weather radar imagery. I dunno the specifics but a crapload of birds gotta be airborne to register.

Here’s the image from an hour ago; 3am Eastern Time. Note that the cold front which hit the coast around 10pm has knocked all the birds across much of Texas off of the radar. Presumably they either landed or are too low down to register.

Note a purple fuzz of migrating birds over SE Colorado tho none at all over Nebraska right now. Also note, judging by the dots, only three reporting weather stations across all of Colorado. Maybe the mountains get in the way.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

Hope that was helpful.

‘Nother question is, why don’t they project radar returns from over water, particularly over the Gulf, I dunno.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a pic of a Kestrel in a cottonwood across the street from my house. He had just caught a mouse in the meadow grass and flown up on the limb. Bad Ass, huh.

He and his mate have been nesting in that same tree for several years. The hen is very nondescript. Most peeps would look right past her sitting on the barbed wire.

One of my neighbors took the pic, he knows what he's doing.

That is a great photo. That vole likely weighs more than that little male kestrel.

Fun fact; rodent pee reflects UV light (I dunno if that’s true for urine in general) and kestrels, as is common in birds, can see into the UV light spectrum. It is thought that seeing rodent pee can help kestrels find them.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 04/29/23.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My wife said she saw a NOTAM (Notice To Air Mission…used to be Notice To AirMen) on the flights out of Costa Rica warning of migrating birds and cautioning aircraft to be aware of the potential for bird strikes.

Literally millions of raptors pass over Veracruz Mexico in the fall, funelled by the coastline of the gulf, so many that when people are counting on the ground using one of those mechanical thumb clicker counters each click represents an estimated hundred hawks.

I dunno how they manage air flights in and out of that city at all.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good stuff Birdie,interesting.
Gonna send a pm with a question unrelated here.
thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most songbirds migrate at night, flight speed maybe 25mph for the smallest to 40 for the bigger ones.

Based on weather radar returns ( dots on the map) an estimated 340 million migrants were/are in the air last night, riding favorable winds in clear skies, most coming in from the Gulf of Mexico up from the Yucatán. This is peak migration season.

https://birdcast.info/migration-tools/live-migration-maps/

Actually, even given such numbers, they’re not always that visible on the ground the next day because they come down scattered pretty thin over the landscape.

THIS is what is forecast to happen along the coast tonight, in the case Corpus Christi: Strong cold front w/thunderstorms. Nearly perfect timing (a bit earlier in the night might be better). Southerly winds pushing birds north over the Gulf abruptly doing a 180 with heavy rain.

Which means if you’re a songbird over open water, your forward progress is gonna slow to little or none while getting hammered from above. This is what Windy.com predicts for Saturday morning; songbird catastrophe.

And here is the predicted migrant forecast for tonight as the front approaches the coast….

If this were a computer simulation, picture maybe 100 million little dots creeping north, then piling up against that cold front and getting scattered all over. Birds don’t get tired, they fly until they run out of fuel. Those over land or lucky enough to make landfall land immediately.

Always a crapshoot but conditions are right for what is called a “fallout”, best I’ve seen in years. In a big one birds are everywhere, practically every bush and tree. Ever’body and their brother into birds is gonna be at the coast with binocs in the morning. Could be spectacular.
So quick question.... When the barometric drop sense of most animals kicks in don't they seek shelter and hunker down?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (264mag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.