Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
These threads are always fascinating. They really demonstrate why one must being careful taking advice about anything from the internet, especially when it comes to load data. Another example is a thread sometime back where 30338 posted about an overload situation. The thread didn't gain as much traction, but was enlightening nonetheless to the dangers of hot loads.
A couple observations:
The two guys espousing H335 on this thread are also the two guys who've never found fault with Leupold. Make of that what you will.
A lot of the love for H335 around here back in the day was originally because of Big Stick, who pushed its use, though he lives in a locale where the temperature varies something like 30-40 degrees over the entire year. His sycophants picked up on the idea, but many later found H335 lacking in more varied environments. Yet many have still take his advice on powder selection, even when he espouses temperature sensitive powders like Leverevolution.

P.G, it’s not about the powder per se, it is about loading 1.9 grains over max in a 223 plus a slight jam. That sir is a recipe for disaster no matter what powder you use. But yes a lot of this sh*t got started with the kiss, find pressure and rock on even if you are 2 grains over max crap.
Pharm got lucky, found out the hard way he did. Good buddy of many years lost his right eye and spent 2 months in the hospital from a bolt hitting him in the face from an overload.

His loading style is dangerous. Both characters you mention. No bueno as far as I'm concerned. Like I've told him, it's going to bite him in the azz one of these days.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higginez
Curious what temps Pharm?

Can’t be that hot in OR yet.

Just outside of Klamath Falls.

Plenty hot the two days we shot last week.

High 70’s both days.

P

Good thing it wasn’t actually hot.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'seller is always in a hurry,to prove what a Dumbfhuqk she is and that never ain't not funnier than fhuqk. Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as her,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Beezer is a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk and she likes to prove it obliviously. She's still trying to get 105/8's in her 6x45 upper. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

SchitSmell is a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk,who just "happens" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit and her Ballistics "understanding" is fhuqking HILARIOUS. She gets dizzy,once twist rates exceed 14". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pass the Lever' and hold the Fluff,with moly 75's at 2950fps in a 223 SALAMI at a 2.450" Smooch or better(a coupla my Teekers run 2.520" to same). Hint.

You gals keep dueling with Feather Dusters,while trying to Outdumbfhuqk one another for The Crown. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Shrapnel, is sense a bit of jealously on many commenting about your shooting and loading. Hang in there.

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
His loading style is dangerous. Both characters you mention. No bueno as far as I'm concerned. Like I've told him, it's going to bite him in the azz one of these days.

You’ve said this before but I disagree.

Keep in mind this is the first time I have exceeded published maximums. Ever.

It’s the last time, too.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

It’s the last time, too.

P

I feel you have eaten more crow than necessary . Good on you for admitting your mistake.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m happy to serve as the poster boy for what not to do.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by rickt300

It’s the last time, too.

P

I feel you have eaten more crow than necessary . Good on you for admitting your mistake.

I agree, he doesn’t need to be pounded on anymore… he’s owned his mistake and learned a valuable lesson!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Comes down to it, we've probably all made mistakes at one time or another following this hobby- we just happened to get away with our mistakes without paying the price by sheer luck for the most part. How do you think someone figured out some powders were temp sensitive? Or, that very light loads in magnum cases can be dangerous? Or any number of things... If nothing else, Pharmseller gave us all a quick reminder that we need to be vigilant all the time when participating in this hobby so we go home with all the appendages, eyes, and other parts we came with....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Truth be told the pressure made my dick bigger, so I’ll be marketing the recipe as male enhancement.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That should push your sales over the top in your new division....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm VERY "surprised",that the fhuqktards shut the fhuqk up. Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm VERY "surprised",that the fhuqktards shut the fhuqk up. Hint.

Now if only the Biggest Fhuqktard on the Campfire Will STFU once in a while.. it'll be in a better place...

its amazing how congenial the place can get, when said Fhuqktard is in the Drunk Tank for 30 days.

if you can't figure out who exactly that is Stumpy... look in the mirror as you Wash and Wax that chrome dome on the top of your head... If you can see over the sink counter.....without a stool...

have a good day Stumpy, patting yourself on the back all day...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
That should push your sales over the top in your new division....

Send Stumpy a bottle....max it will get his height OVER 5 feet finally in his life...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
He’s on ignore for a reason.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: The ignorant imbecile now known as SMALL TWIG is simply irrelevant in todays CampFire.
His immature blatherings are so full of profanity that I actually think small twig is a demented, drug addled, teenager running amok.
It is sad that in this day and age small twig can NOT bring himself to engage with anyone in a mature, thoughtful and respectful manner.
Sad little twig - he is his own punishment!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Aww common you guys....

ya know Stumpy is the best entertainment value of the www....

There aren't two of him and NO ONE imitates him... he's an Oregon Original....He's from Coos Bay for those that don't know that...

I actually like the guy.... but I'll concede his biggest fan is himself, and he thinks a thousand times more of himself than I do, but still doesn't mean you can't enjoy the guy....

I can't think of a comedian ever that is funny as Schtick, when he takes himself seriously....

VG, do you think Stumpy has a clue what the word "Respectful" even means?

He lives for the times someone rattles his cage and he can get up on his soapbox and do his Schtick in response...

While he laughs at us ( supposedly), plenty folks are laughing at Stumpy...

We're lucky to have the little gnome... I've learned to respect the guy... he's like a pet cockroach...nothing can hurt him.

and on one gets more out of two working brain cells than Little Larry... It ain't easy being Schtick...

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Seafire,
I noticed you mentioned you busted two stocks and screwed up a Ruger 77 shooting a .223 with 55’s and 25 grains of H335.
Care to elaborate?
I’ve been running 25.3 with 55 Hornady sp’s in an AR and it seems pretty sedate. Granted I’ve probably never shot it above 82 deg.
25.3 is Hogdon’s max in a .223 chamber, I’m running it in a Wylde seated out to p-mag length, so there may be a bit more leeway there I’d guess. R-P cases, 400’s.

Last edited by Potsy; 05/06/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

Where did your punctuation come from...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist,while you Google aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Potsy,

BOTH of those was in an 8 week period, and the same rifle.

The first was some Black Hills Ammo, back when you could buy a 50 round box for like $11.00. They were reloads. Like a lot of folks for that price, it was a cheap way to get 223 brass. I had gone thru a box, and on the 43 round, the rifle blew up. I kept the box and ammo, took pictures and contacted Black Hills Ammo. Like 6 weeks later they sent me a check for $11.00 that I had paid for the ammo, and a brief note of 'Sorry bout that'.. and nothing more.

Meanwhile I had gone to a friend that did cabinets for a living, so he had all the wood working items. He repaired the stock, which had really come apart in the kaboom. He put would glue on it, after stripping it, and then glued it back together, and let it sit in some sort of vice he uses for a week or so. I told him, I'd refinish the stock from that point. Used Early American colored Urethane on it. It was pretty eye catching, as I had folks ask where did I get the stock at, because it looked really nice.

Had a gunsmith friend go thru the action and he replaced a few parts and got it whole once again.

Put some more rounds thru it, and it was doing just fine once again. Probably about a 100 or so.

Then reloaded some rounds with 25 grains of H 335, just 10 or so... but on like the 7th or 8th, it did another blow up, and the stock came apart in big pieces once again. I pulled the last remaining 7 rounds of the Black Hills ammo apart and their charge was 25 grains of what looked like H335 powder ( who knows what it was ), with Hornady 55 gr SPs. Sent an email to Black Hills and got NO response.

So I contacted Hodgdon and they told me they had sent out some bad batches of H 335. The one I had, was in the production range, that they said they had tried to recall. I missed that evidently. I don't burn a lot of H 335, usually bought it when it was on sale.

Mike Bellm, the gunsmith who had worked it over before, looked it over real well, and came up with the conclusion it was a bad batch of powder. He shot a lot of H 335 in his guns. I had paid $300 for the rifle used, and had put about 5,000 down the tube. Mike offered me $250 for the action and barrel. I let him have it for $200 since we were friends and he had done the previous work in repair for free. I was going to just give it to him, but he insisted. The stock was shot ( literally ), but he said he had a few other Ruger stocks hanging around. When I bought the rifle for $300, it also had a 3 x 9 Nikon on top, which survived both blow ups. So I didn't have much to complain about financially on the entire affair.

Mike repaired the action and rechambered the barrel from 223 to 222. I use to take him to shoot ground squirrels and he always carried that Ruger afterwards and put a lot of rounds thru it... he took it with him when he moved back to Colorado.

However since about anything works pretty well in a bolt action 223, there are a million other powder options other than H 335. So I don't buy it. Avoid using it totally. I know many others who use it by the trainload, and never had an issue.
I just chalk it up to a bad batch.

Hodgdon did tell me that some of that bad lot number had gone to Black Hills Ammo ( in a large quantity in fact.. bulk purchase).... Hodgdon offered to replace the powder with any of my choice from their distribution network. So I said Okay, and they sent me 2 pounds for good will. Think I took H 322 IIRC. Still burn A LOT of H 322.

It all worked out in the end, but I just avoid H 335. Left a bad taste in my mouth, and as I say.. About anything works well in a 223 case. Kinda like old VWs would pretty much run on any quality of gasoline, high or low.

So there ya go... the story of it, from beginning to end. Have never ever had another issue with any powders since. Just the incidents were luck of the draw I guess...

If H 335 is working for ya, I'd keep on using it if you are happy with it. Myself, I won't touch it, just because I don't want to repeat the experience, but I know others who have used it for decades in quantity, and NEVER had a problem...

best of luck out there!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.