Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Overpressure is a thing. I’ve seen it. And when you’re pushing the envelope and then the temperature gets into the 80’s, you’re fúcked.

Remember the 75 gr ELDM load I was so happy with? The one some of you guys said whoa Nelly you dumbass, that’s overpressure? And then I said I’m not getting any serious pressure signs and it shoots fantastic? And then you said okay it might shoot fantastic now, but what about when it gets hot? And I said I wasn’t worried about shooting in the heat?

Well, I shot in the heat. Fúck.

Normal bolt, see the little ledge? That ledge holds the bolt shroud on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ll bet some of you already know where I’m going with this.

So here’s the bolt on my .223. Notice anything different?

Kinda odd, the bolt shroud blew off and landed in my shirt pocket. Made it pretty easy to find. Ripped that little ledge clean off.

Lesson definitely learned. And the important question, what’s the name of the piece I need, and where can I buy it?

If anyone wants to kick me when I’m down, feel free, I deserve it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you are OK.

Learned my lesson as well.

Maximum book charge weight or book velocity, whichever comes first is my max max. I reserve the right to tone it down from there.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like I have to buy a complete firing pin assembly. There goes $140.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Looks like I have to buy a complete firing pin assembly. There goes $140.

P

You got off easy.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Got any photos of the brass?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Got any photos of the brass?

No, but the primers were cratered badly.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just glad you weren't injured. Parts can be replaced much easier than eyes.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Did the case rupture or the primer get pierced? If not, I don't understand why the bolt shroud blew off.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glad you came out ok other than a broken part.

It's funny how things happen like that.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I remember reading your post and you came off pretty cocky telling everyone how safe your load was and quite a few members we’re trying to let you know that you were more than pushing the envelope, but you kept coming back with your smart a$$ remarks on how safe you thought your load was!

Sometimes it pays to listen….

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad you got off so easy. $140 is barely a stern reminder. Now go buy quickload. 😁

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm glad you're Ok and the damage is only a modest amount of cash.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I remember reading your post and you came off pretty cocky telling everyone how safe your load was and quite a few members we’re trying to let you know that you were more than pushing the envelope, but you kept coming back with your smart a$$ remarks on how safe you thought your load was!

I deserve that.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Did the case rupture or the primer get pierced? If not, I don't understand why the bolt shroud blew off.

Primer might have gotten pierced, I didn’t recover the last case.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What was/are the load specs, so no one repeats the offending load?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad you're okay, and the price for a lesson learned was not drastic....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Speed comes at the expense of pressure, not being a way around this fact.
In a tight, concentric, properly assembled throat-barrel-bolt, pressure signs will not appear until pressure is not way above maximum already.
A .223 will never make it safely to 22-250 speeds.

With this said I am glad that the lesson cost you so little. I was as lucky as you have been.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Learned the same lesson, but not as harshly, with a .223AI and H335. Shot GREAT here in Montana at 40 degrees. First and only shot with it in Texas at 90 degrees blew the primer, End of H335....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Learned the same lesson, but not as harshly, with a .223AI and H335. Shot GREAT here in Montana at 40 degrees. First and only shot with it in Texas at 90 degrees blew the primer, End of H335....
that gets a lot of people. of course some powders are much worse about that than others

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickBin
Glad you are OK.

Learned my lesson as well.

Maximum book charge weight or book velocity, whichever comes first is my max max. I reserve the right to tone it down from there.

This sums it up for me.

Thank you, Pharmseller, for having the humility to share your experience - it's good us to be reminded periodically about the need to err on the side of caution.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I deserve that.

P
You deserve an ATABOY. for standing up and admitting you made a mistake. Which most want do. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I love the temperature sensitivity thing about H335. I have shot 10’s of thousands with H335 and no issues. I do shoot 40 and 50 grain bullets, however, and don’t shoot heavier fast twist.

I am not saying it hasn’t happened, but I’m saying it hasn’t happened to me…

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The results sure could have been much different..... Glad you came out ok.

Tip of the hat for being man enough to admit your mistake. Hope this serves as a example for us all....and yes, that includes me.

Sometimes experience is the best (and most cruel) teacher.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shrapnel & Ingwe: I have been a many decades long user of H 335 and have shot countless thousands of handmade cartridges that were made with it - knock on wood - to date I have had no issues with it - just great accuracy and consistent velocities (according to my Oehler chronograph).
I must add that "I" am a notorious non-hotrodder when it comes to my handloads - I have NEVER loaded a single centerfire cartridge "above" book maximums, since I began handloading 63 years ago.

I also am so happy the O/P was not injured.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HawkI

Waaaay too much TAC.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18147804/1

Thanks for the kind words. This is the only load I’ve ever done above book max. Won’t be doing it again.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
New firing pin assembly on the way from Midwest Gun Works.

Went over to Mountain Tactical and ordered a new bolt handle just for fun.

Gonna go back to my Varget load and fiddle with seating depth.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by HawkI

Waaaay too much TAC.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18147804/1

Thanks for the kind words. This is the only load I’ve ever done above book max. Won’t be doing it again.

P

Understood. AA2230 behaves better with a hot gun on a hot day than TAC, which at atime was to be temp insensitive. Not in my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the infatuation with a 223 and fast twist has done the shooting world a real injustice. The 223 is a small to moderate case designed for different ballistics than what it has become.

Somehow the desire to make the 223 a long range cartridge is like putting a 250,000 BTU furnace in a 6,000 square foot house. Certain things can be achieved, but at what expense?

I am no ballistician, but I can see how heavier bullets, spun faster in a barrel could create more pressure than it would equally balanced with a lighter bullet and slower twist.

I have killed deer and antelope with a 223, and I know it can be done, but I will continue to hunt big game with larger bullets in a larger cartridge and save the 223 for varmints, as it has proven itself to be one of the very best for just that purpose…

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good words. Thanks.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Exactly the same experience here with the same round and powder.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by EdM

Exactly the same experience here with the same round and powder.

I tested my TAC loads on a hot day as hot as I knew I would get the gun(s) in question. They failed and I ended up getting safe results with an extruded powder.

They were both 1-14 twisted guns with 40gr. bullets and I'm betting ingwes loads were too.

Its about pressure at the chamber and heat generally makes it go up if you're already at max.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
[align:right][/align]Now I have about 250 loads to pull. Never had to do this before. One or two finding OAL but never full loads.

PITA.

Gonna toss all the fired brass, too. I have lots.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for sharing and just glad your OK - a good reminder just what we are dealing with each time we pull the trigger and why it is a very good idea to pay attention to all the cautions read or voiced - at ALL times when reloading.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 04/30/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Similar situation to this happened to me with standard albeit maximum data from a mid 90's Hornady manual and the 30-06 with 165gr Interlocks and Winchester 760 powder. The max load was fine on cold days and during cold weather deer hunting, but would blow primers at the range on a 90° day. The load must have been developed without considering the effects of summer Texas temperatures.

I wouldn't kick myself too hard over this. Stuff happens and lessons are learned. I also have a keg of Military Surplus IMR-4895 that's the fastest lot I've ever seen. I have to be very very careful. Normal data doesn't kosh too well on the upper end with this stuff. I now use it primarily for reduced loads and cast lead bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Similar situation to this happened to me with standard albeit maximum data from a mid 90's Hornady manual and the 30-06 with 165gr Interlocks and Winchester 760 powder. The max load was fine on cold days and during cold weather deer hunting, but would blow primers at the range on a 90° day. The load must have been developed without considering the effects of summer Texas temperatures.

I wouldn't kick myself too hard over this. Stuff happens and lessons are learned. I also have a keg of Military Surplus IMR-4895 that's the fastest lot I've ever seen. I have to be very very careful. Normal data doesn't kosh too well on the upper end with this stuff. I now use it primarily for reduced loads and cast lead bullets.

😁 Hornady manual early 90’s loading 25.06, 117 grain Hornady and RL22, max load listed was 56.5 grains got to 54.5 and couldn’t lift the bolt then had to have a smithy get it open. Never have trusted that manual or any other Hornady manual since.

Swifty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've blown primers with normal 308 win data using that military IMR-4895 mentioned above, so it's not just temperature swings that cause trouble. There's also a tolerance in slow vs fast burning lots of the same powder.

In the world of statistical variation, if you do something long enough you'll stumble across the worst case scenario and something happens.

Mix an upper end (say the heaviest possible charge of the run) of fastest burn rate powder in a least possible capacity case. Maximum diameter bullet seated with a primer with maximum compound touched off with your hardest trigger squeeze..on a hot day.

It's hard to say what really happened here. Was the metal inherently flawed during manufacturing? Who's to say?

I'd like to think I'm a little wiser now than in my younger hot rod reloading days. Yes the hotter loads tend to burn cleaner and are often the most accurate, but at the same time I prefer to use no more resources than necessary to get the job done.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ll tell you what, pulling 75 gr bullets with a kinetic hammer is a bitch. It took me a while to figure it out, not a lot of momentum with that little bullet. Got through the partial box of 55, called it a day. 200 more to go. Bullets look good, tips are fine. I’ll run the primed cases over the expander ball before loading again.

I have enough Varget for about 2,000 rounds.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy a collet puller, way faster than an inertia and less likely to damage the bullets.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Buy a collet puller, way faster than an inertia and less likely to damage the bullets.

Never heard of them, how do they work?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P

Be careful!

That collet puller can crimp the bullet quite easily on any light jacketed bullets. The inertia puller, although slower, is still a better way to go on light jackets...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hornady cam lock bullet puller item # 050095. Best $50 I ever spent (maybe). Get all the collets you'll potentially need. Best way to pull bullets fast. Does not harm the bullets when setup properly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

P
Screws into press like a die, cartridge fits in the shell holder and goes up into the "die", there is a caliber specific collet that tightens on to the shank of the bullet. It is a bit like the collet in a Lee LCD. Mine is an RCBS, there is a handle on the top that tightens the collet. Hornady is somewhat different but same principle. Works fast. They can mar the bullet if you use a heavy crimp or if the bullet has cold welded to the case, but I doubt you'll have that issue. I can see Shrapnel's point about thin jacketed varmint bullets, bet you won't have the issue either with the 75's.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, marring the bullet was my question.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I don't use it... too many other good options out there.. so why bother...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Book velocity, adjusting for barrel length and such, is my general guide. No free lunch exists.

Like others, I’ve also been bitten by stout loads that were worked up in cooler temps. A strong load of RL17 in a 6.5x47L did not agree with 90 degree days. Ditto for 335 and the 223AI, as others have mentioned. Only primers I remember popping.

Sticking with book speeds, testing in warm months, and trying to lean toward heat-stable powders for “fun” guns has helped.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I’ll tell you what, pulling 75 gr bullets with a kinetic hammer is a bitch. It took me a while to figure it out, not a lot of momentum with that little bullet.

P

Sometimes seating the bullets a bit deeper just before you pull them can help, but maybe not much if the cartridges were assembled recently.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Didn't read all this so not sure what your talking about now. Back to the OP's post, I think, seem's to me everyone that reloads push's the limit now and then, nature of the beast. Sometime we fry ourselves! I like to push it but work loads up mid to late spring when outside temps are a bit higher. When it get's hot out I seldom do much shooting so 90* temps don't phase me. I suspect if I shot in the heat I just might find I've pushed the envelope to far also! I can't imagine getting ready for a hunt in 100+* temp! First at 100* I'm normally sitting around somewhere drinking ice tea! Lucky thing probably as I do pust the limit when loading. Another good thing about me is I no longer like it all that cold. if there's a breeze and temp at about 45* to 50* you won't find me out shooting much anymore. Shoot anymore I don't even like hunting in those conditions. Just for grins tried shooting at just under 50* a while back and when I got to my shooting spot the breeze had picked up but was comin from my back. Went ahead and shot and damn near froze my finger's off!

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
I’ll tell you what, pulling 75 gr bullets with a kinetic hammer is a bitch. It took me a while to figure it out, not a lot of momentum with that little bullet.

P

Sometimes seating the bullets a bit deeper just before you pull them can help, but maybe not much if the cartridges were assembled recently.

Yeah, they’re only a couple of months old.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Overpressure is a thing. I’ve seen it. And when you’re pushing the envelope and then the temperature gets into the 80’s, you’re fúcked.

Remember the 75 gr ELDM load I was so happy with? The one some of you guys said whoa Nelly you dumbass, that’s overpressure? And then I said I’m not getting any serious pressure signs and it shoots fantastic? And then you said okay it might shoot fantastic now, but what about when it gets hot? And I said I wasn’t worried about shooting in the heat?

Well, I shot in the heat. Fúck.

Normal bolt, see the little ledge? That ledge holds the bolt shroud on.

I’ll bet some of you already know where I’m going with this.

So here’s the bolt on my .223. Notice anything different?

Kinda odd, the bolt shroud blew off and landed in my shirt pocket. Made it pretty easy to find. Ripped that little ledge clean off.

Lesson definitely learned. And the important question, what’s the name of the piece I need, and where can I buy it?

If anyone wants to kick me when I’m down, feel free, I deserve it.

P

Dang man, that's probably your varmint model too? I'm just glad you are ok!. I know, I've made some remarks about you loading hot, or too hot. It could happen to anyone here, but that is why a lot of us say, start low and "work up". Double check your loads in varying temps as well. I recently had to back off of a damn good load in a new to me 308w, because I was getting stiff bolt lift on a book max load. It brought a tear to my eye because that load shot so damn well. That load was developed in 24 degree temps though. Had to reduce the load from 47gr to 45.5 to find the next good node man!!! But it will be safe, even in the summers heat. You are a good man to admit when you are wrong, and again glad to hear you are not hurt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

P

Be careful!

That collet puller can crimp the bullet quite easily on any light jacketed bullets. The inertia puller, although slower, is still a better way to go on light jackets...

I go inertia puller as the way to go also. Have collet puller but have simply ruined to many bullet's with it. Found with the inertia puller you'll mess up the tips if the blow that release's the bullet is to hard. Used to put toilet paper in it to catch the bullet and hope to save it. Now I simply watch the bullet and the last hit or two is softer and bullet doesn hit the bottom.

Last edited by DonFischer; 05/01/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DonFischer

P

Be careful!

I go inertia puller as the way to go also. Have collet puller but have simply ruined to many bullet's with it. Found with the inertia puller you'll mess up the tips if the blow that release's the bullet is to hard. Used to put toilet paper in it to catch the bullet and hope to save it. Now I simply watch the bullet and the last hit or two is softer and bullet doesn hit the bottom.

You guys that use those cheap azzed inertia bullet pullers have some small girl hands too. I've broke a few of them, but I'm used to swinging a man's sized hammer. Collet puller has worked great for me.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad you’re okay Pharm.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Funny story, I was wearing eyes and ears, of course. Primers were cratered but bolt lift wasn’t bad. Took a break for awhile, let my nephew take a turn. What I didn’t know was that he had moved my box of shells into the sun. I wasn’t paying attention to it so when it was my turn I just loaded a magazine and got ready to slay a marmot.

Bam! Ignition was loud and I felt something tap my shirt. I looked down and the bolt shroud (aftermarket aluminum) was gone. I ejected the shell and lost it in the grass. Damn.

Started looking for the shroud, didn’t see it anywhere. What’s that in my shirt pocket? There it was. Tried to put it back on but with the lip missing off the firing pin assembly it wouldn’t stay on.

Lucky as hell, the only thing injured was my pride.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You nailed it Shrapnel.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I think the infatuation with a 223 and fast twist has done the shooting world a real injustice. The 223 is a small to moderate case designed for different ballistics than what it has become.

Somehow the desire to make the 223 a long range cartridge is like putting a 250,000 BTU furnace in a 6,000 square foot house. Certain things can be achieved, but at what expense?

I am no ballistician, but I can see how heavier bullets, spun faster in a barrel could create more pressure than it would equally balanced with a lighter bullet and slower twist.

I have killed deer and antelope with a 223, and I know it can be done, but I will continue to hunt big game with larger bullets in a larger cartridge and save the 223 for varmints, as it has proven itself to be one of the very best for just that purpose…

Hilarious.

Thousands of fast twist .223's not having pressure issues when loaded with 75's and Shrap chooses do bad mouth them when Pharm does something OBVIOUSLY stupid.

Are the 6BR, 6BRA and 6 Dasher doing the shooting world a real injustice Shrap?

LMAO

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ya know Lawrence,

I've never had a load with Blue Dot blow up on me, on a hot day....in a 223 or any other cartridge.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.... whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higginez

Hilarious.

Thousands of fast twist .223's not having pressure issues when loaded with 75's and Shrap chooses do bad mouth them when Pharm does something OBVIOUSLY stupid.

LMAO

Ah, he just has a real hard on for fast twist cartridges right now. Not a damn thing wrong with them. We all know and have told Pharm his hot rodding will catch up to him. At least Pharm is man enough to admit when he fu cked up. Shrap doesn't think he can do wrong... Even though he's dead wrong about fast twist cartridges..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Ya know Lawrence,

I've never had a load with Blue Dot blow up on me, on a hot day....in a 223 or any other cartridge.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.... whistle

I may delve into that one of these days. Just not there quite yet though..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Hilarious.

LMAO

Lol!!!

I noticed that too. I just thought wow talk about spinning something around. A man is hand-loading a factory rifle 100-150fps over book max and it’s the factory rifles twist rate that’s the problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Hilarious.

LMAO

Ah, he just has a real hard on for fast twist cartridges right now. Not a damn thing wrong with them. We all know and have told Pharm his hot rodding will catch up to him. At least Pharm is man enough to admit when he fu cked up. Shrap doesn't think he can do wrong... Even though he's dead wrong about fast twist cartridges..

You and the others didn’t really read what I said. I didn’t blame the fast twist for the problem of over loading a cartridge. I did qualify that statement with theory. Yes, I am not a fan of fast twist 223 as it has become the golden boy of many that think it is some magical combination that kills like the hammer of Thor.

The truth is that long range shooting with high BC bullets is done with larger cartridges, the 223 is used in 3 gun or military categories and as such is limited by it’s case capacity to compete in long range shooting other than those disciplines.

All the guys that tout the killing ability of the fast 223 cartridge, I have no doubt have done it, but the message to the neophyte is that he could get the fast twist 223 and magically become Daniel Boone.

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have. I am not posting pictures of holes in paper and no one else is showing the superiority of the 223 with enough experience that doesn’t come from a background of shooting and hunting skill. That, I believe is sending the message to the beginner that the 223 with fast twist is as capable alone as it is without the experienced shooter behind it.

Dead pigs and other critters killed with the 223 are not in question, it is the continual insinuation that a 223 is a long range cartridge, and it can’t possibly compete with a 22-250 sized case or larger with a fast twist to shine beyond the limits of the velocity of a 223 and a heavier bullet…

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Glad you're OK. Try using Gordon's Reloading Tool (GRT) to determine pressure. Similar to Quickload but free.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
Glad you're OK. Try using Gordon's Reloading Tool (GRT) to determine pressure. Similar to Quickload but free.
Well went back to the OP’s other thread and used his seating depths and matched the velocity he reported. Hot day and he shot these rounds he should have had a lottery ticket.

2.373 seating

Predicted to get where he got 2.9 grains over max. 68-71K pressure. That’s without letting them sit in the sun, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. 55K is max I do believe.

Last edited by Swifty52; 05/02/23.

Swifty
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I think what most people are saying about fast twist 223’s and what Shrap hears are two very different things. A lot of what Shrap is saying is correct I just don’t know why he’s saying it?….lol. I don’t think anyone is saying it’s the hammer of Thor or will make anyone Daniel Boone. Just as no one is saying it’s better than the 22-250,22-250AI, or 22creedmoor. It just seems like he has a axe to grind and will twist(no pun) and turn things so he can pitch his fit.

He’s not alone by any means though. Guys do the exact same thing about hunting with match bullets anything on a creedmoor case and Trump.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cartridge : .223 Rem. (SAAMI)
Bullet : .224, 75, Hornady ELD-M 22791
Useable Case Capaci: 25.862 grain H2O = 1.679 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.477 inch = 62.92 mm
Barrel Length : 24.0 inch = 609.6 mm
Powder : Ramshot TAC *C

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 2.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time
% % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % ms

-20.0 83 21.36 2445 996 35191 6057 88.0 1.373
-18.0 85 21.89 2505 1045 37651 6241 89.2 1.335
-16.0 87 22.43 2564 1095 40289 6420 90.4 1.294
-14.0 89 22.96 2624 1146 43117 6593 91.5 1.255
-12.0 91 23.50 2683 1199 46151 6760 92.6 1.217
-10.0 93 24.03 2743 1253 49408 6919 93.6 1.181
-08.0 96 24.56 2803 1308 52909 7071 94.5 1.146
-06.0 98 25.10 2862 1364 56675 7214 95.4 1.112 ! Near Maximum !
-04.0 100 25.63 2922 1422 60731 7347 96.2 1.080 ! Near Maximum !
-02.0 102 26.17 2981 1480 65104 7471 96.9 1.049 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+00.0 104 26.70 3041 1540 69828 7585 97.5 1.019 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+02.0 106 27.23 3100 1600 74937 7687 98.1 0.989 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+04.0 108 27.77 3159 1662 80473 7778 98.6 0.961 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+06.0 110 28.30 3219 1725 86485 7856 99.0 0.934 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+08.0 112 28.84 3278 1789 93026 7921 99.4 0.908 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+10.0 114 29.37 3337 1854 100163 7972 99.7 0.882 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba 104 26.70 3169 1672 82224 7483 99.9 0.953 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba 104 26.70 2870 1372 57818 7363 91.7 1.104 ! Near Maximum !

I see about the same on QL. 70-75K give or take, before the heated up ammo..

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Hilarious.

LMAO

You and the others didn’t really read what I said. I didn’t blame the fast twist for the problem of over loading a cartridge. I did qualify that statement with theory. Yes, I am not a fan of fast twist 223 as it has become the golden boy of many that think it is some magical combination that kills like the hammer of Thor.

The truth is that long range shooting with high BC bullets is done with larger cartridges, the 223 is used in 3 gun or military categories and as such is limited by it’s case capacity to compete in long range shooting other than those disciplines.

All the guys that tout the killing ability of the fast 223 cartridge, I have no doubt have done it, but the message to the neophyte is that he could get the fast twist 223 and magically become Daniel Boone.

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have. I am not posting pictures of holes in paper and no one else is showing the superiority of the 223 with enough experience that doesn’t come from a background of shooting and hunting skill. That, I believe is sending the message to the beginner that the 223 with fast twist is as capable alone as it is without the experienced shooter behind it.

Dead pigs and other critters killed with the 223 are not in question, it is the continual insinuation that a 223 is a long range cartridge, and it can’t possibly compete with a 22-250 sized case or larger with a fast twist to shine beyond the limits of the velocity of a 223 and a heavier bullet…

I’ve killed a pile of deer with a .270WCF. Most with a 140 Berger at 2,950 but several with 130 Sierras and 130 NPT. The .223 with 75’s launched at similar speeds would have had the exact same results as the much heavier .270 bullet.

Is there a limit on how far you should take game with it? Sure. Just like any of the other cartridges. Out to 600 yards that little fugger is a deadly sumbitch though and there isn’t a deer walking this earth that would make me worry I didn’t have enough gun.

It isn’t magic, but it is pretty dang remarkable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 223 having the same killing ability at 600yds as a 270 win? BULLSCHITZ

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grovey
A 223 having the same killing ability at 600yds as a 270 win? BULLSCHITZ

Nobody said that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funny story here, a guy I know thought he could hit a deer (nice buck that everyone was chasing) that was on the tree line first shooting light, well he missed but he did manage to hit a cow that he couldnt see behind that deer. Farmer extremely pizzed, cow was on property he couldn’t hunt, so this guy ends up buying the cow (not cheap either) and fills his freezer with beef instead of deer. He decided that shooting deer at 400+ yards wasn’t too damn smart.

Moral of the story, don’t shoot unless you know exactly what’s behind the target.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Well went back to the OP’s other thread and used his seating depths and matched the velocity he reported. Hot day and he shot these rounds he should have had a lottery ticket.

2.373 seating

Predicted to get where he got 2.9 grains over max. 68-71K pressure. That’s without letting them sit in the sun, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. 55K is max I do believe.

26 grains.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

2.373 seating

26 grains.

P

I can run it at 26 but guess what you’re still going to be ~65K. Give a minute and I can run it.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

2.373 seating

26 grains.

P

I can run it at 26 but guess what you’re still going to be ~65K. Give a minute and I can run it.

No need, I just wanted to be accurate.

I was wrong, but I wasn’t 27 grains wrong.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ok here you go, GRT defaults to 31 which is about average.

If your case capacity is 31.0 grains then

Decrease your case capacity 1/2 grain then

Decrease capacity 1 grain

At 31 2K overpressue, 30.5 your at ~60K, 1 grain your ~62K

Now if I had you exact case capacity to the top of the neck I could get closer. No way I would use that load at under 31 and I have seen variances between 29-32 grains dependent on brass manufacture.

Swifty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pharm, you've taken some heat on this thread no doubt. It takes someone genuine to step up and say, I fawked up. Good on you as you don't see too many doing it today. This is a lesson to all that eyes and ear protection are a necessity.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I particularly give an eye roll when some people think because it's an AI cartridge gains 200 to 300 ft per second or more because it's not showing traditional pressure sign..... which way too many people think judged by primers..

Last edited by ldholton; 05/02/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pharm, you've taken some heat on this thread no doubt. It takes someone genuine to step up and say, I fawked up. Good on you as you don't see too many doing it today. This is a lesson to all that eyes and ear protection are a necessity.

Hey, it’s pretty easy, I don’t know any of the asshōles on this site, I can be as honest as possible. No risk.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Hey, it’s pretty easy, I don’t know any of the asshōles on this site, I can be as honest as possible. No risk.

P

I always appreciate honesty. It's the ones you know are lying out there azz that get under my skin.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is all interesting. The last Western manual I have lists 25.8 gr max for the Hornady BTHP in 5.56x45 NATO. Aren't they 65K psi? (Yes, I know the .223 chamber is tighter)

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

2.373 seating

A testament on how strong the Tikka action is.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
70k psi shouldn't harm a modern bolt action itself. The case and primer are always the weak link.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

P

Know any of the decent guys? grin

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of the reasons I ask questions on this site if I'm even a little nervous or ignorant about a new cartridge, powder, etc.... there is more experience here than anywhere I've been and I know I'll get reliable info if I ask the right people. I've only been reloading for 50 years now, so I still don't know it all....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Just when you know it all something else pops up and proves you wrong. That’s my problem anyway. Edk

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A couple comments:

Shrapnel almost always jumps into these threads, saying he's used H335 for many years in his .223s and never had any problems.

But one thing he doesn't mention is that he HATES hot weather. I have shot PDs and "gophers" (Richardson's ground squirrels) with him many times over the years, and cannot remember ever doing so on a day over about 80 degrees.

Might also mention that I have tested a bunch of powders at temperatures from zero F. to around 100 degrees--and by that I mean in actual temperatures including the rifle, not just chilling or heating the ammo, which only rarely produces similar results. The velocities of the best temp-resistant powders don't change much at all from 70 down to zero, and even somewhat below zero. But they ALL result in faster velocities (and hence higher pressures) at temperatures above 70, usually becoming more obvious around 80.

The more temp-resistant powders, however, do tend to gain less velocity/pressure at over 80 than "standard" powders. Also, even the most temperature-sensitive powders (among which I'd list H335) don't vary much in velocity from temperatures in the 20s to around 80. Or at least none of the presently produced rifle powders I've tested have.

All of this is why I prefer the term temperature-resistant, rather than temperature-insensitive. None of 'em are totally immune to temperature, especially heat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree MD. I won’t shoot 335 over 80 degrees. 2 of my favorite loads in a 223 won’t get used over 90 degrees. 26.5 grains BM and a 52 is a very accurate load, but on a 95 degree day it gave me issues such as stiff bolt lift. Finished that match with a load of 25.8 with no issues. Finished off that 26.5 batch in 70-80 weather with zero issues as usual. My other is 24 grains LT32 and a 52 that has to be backed down to 23.5 at 90+.
So my conclusion was that max or slightly over max loads don’t play well at 90-100 degrees even with temp resistant extreme powders like BM.

Swifty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A couple comments:

Shrapnel almost always jumps into these threads, saying he's used H335 for many years in his .223s and never had any problems.

But one thing he doesn't mention is that he HATES hot weather. I have shot PDs and "gophers" (Richardson's ground squirrels) with him many times over the years, and cannot remember ever doing so on a day over about 80 degrees.

Might also mention that I have tested a bunch of powders at temperatures from zero F. to around 100 degrees--and by that I mean in actual temperatures including the rifle, not just chilling or heating the ammo, which only rarely produces similar results. The velocities of the best temp-resistant powders don't change much at all from 70 down to zero, and even somewhat below zero. But they ALL result in faster velocities (and hence higher pressures) at temperatures above 70, usually becoming more obvious around 80.

The more temp-resistant powders, however, do tend to gain less velocity/pressure at over 80 than "standard" powders. Also, even the most temperature-sensitive powders (among which I'd list H335) don't vary much in velocity from temperatures in the 20s to around 80. Or at least none of the presently produced rifle powders I've tested have.

All of this is why I prefer the term temperature-resistant, rather than temperature-insensitive. None of 'em are totally immune to temperature, especially heat.

This cannot be true because every truck he has, that I'm aware of, has AC and the barrels have been outside of the cab...

And despite his nickname, he doesn't hot rod his loads. Which is what this thread is really all about when we get down to it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
A couple comments:

Too dang funny!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple comments:

I have shot prairie dogs with H335 in weather above 90 degrees and still had no pressure issues. I am talking about real life experience and not surmised or hearsay. Mule Deer has a selective memory and likes to bring up instances where he looks as good as possible, he does have an image he needs to keep up.

Yes, John and I have shot a lot together and he would be amiss if he didn’t admit that I do have good guns and hit more than I miss with 223’s loaded with H335. John also is the one that made the sarcastic statement about how all the trucks driving around Montana with cracked windshields was due to cartridges loaded with H335 and cracked those windshields from cooking off in the heat.

John will also remark how I sight guns in on rocks and not always paper targets. He is also right about that, but it produces the same results that bsahunter does with all his targets.

Nobody else but John and HawkI have any ability to comment on what or how I shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hilarious.

LMAO

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have.

NOW THERE IS A BOLD STATEMENT. BOTH ON GAME AND DOGS.

Bulllshitt

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 05/03/23.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Hilarious.

LMAO

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have.

NOW THERE IS A BOLD STATEMENT. BOTH ON GAME AND DOGS.

Bulllshitt

The only thing that stands out in almost everything he posts is his arrogance……

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very small world false arrogance.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 05/03/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Replacement firing pin assembly arrived today. Waiting on the fancy bolt before I put her back together.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IIRC, shrapnel uses 335 in more than just the 223.

There's never been any '335 "incidents" at any time I've shot with him, at least 3 or four times.

And yes, one year he bought a newly procured Sako 22-250 or 220 Swift that was "sighted in" on a rock or errant 'dog mound rested on the truck window bag.

I would bet shrapnel shot dogs today while the rest of us posted stupid stuff on the 'Fire. Heck, he shoots them when they first pop out of the snow.

Pharm,

Hope everything goes back into battery without issue.
I generally use tipped 75 grainers in the PD fields. I usually use the 222 Mag (I believe the 223 AI would be close) when getting in the velocities between 3k and 3,100 fps with those weight bullets in the 222 class cartridges.

Be safe.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A couple comments:

I have shot prairie dogs with H335 in weather above 90 degrees and still had no pressure issues. I am talking about real life experience and not surmised or hearsay. Mule Deer has a selective memory and likes to bring up instances where he looks as good as possible, he does have an image he needs to keep up.

Yes, John and I have shot a lot together and he would be amiss if he didn’t admit that I do have good guns and hit more than I miss with 223’s loaded with H335. John also is the one that made the sarcastic statement about how all the trucks driving around Montana with cracked windshields was due to cartridges loaded with H335 and cracked those windshields from cooking off in the heat.

John will also remark how I sight guns in on rocks and not always paper targets. He is also right about that, but it produces the same results that bsahunter does with all his targets.

Nobody else but John and HawkI have any ability to comment on what or how I shoot.

I figured you were a legend anyway knowing you have burned a heck of a lot of powder. Didn't know you were temp sensitive.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zippy.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
26.0gr of tac bullet "barely" into the lands in a 223 chamber to boot ph uck me. Surprised you didn't a get a bolt into the forehead. Send that damn thing off and get a wylde chamber done up if you want to run 62K.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Curious what temps Pharm?

Can’t be that hot in OR yet.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm sure most know this but I'll make a note of it as the discussion of powder sensitivity and getting hot in overpressuring seems to be up. Sure almost everyone knows that more sensitive powders you get out shooting prairie dogs let's say it 100°. your loads are going to be hotter and you run the risk of being overpressured with some things depending on how they were loaded at lower temperatures.
but what I've seen happen also if people don't think about leaving their ammo in the right sunlight somewhere especially like on the truck dash is a really big No-No. but what I've seen happen people don't think about they keep their ammo as cool as possible shaded in between towels or in a possibly a cooler in boxes, but then they've been shooting for a while the barrels borderline too hot but about to quit that gun and go to another quickly going to fire off another shot chamber around and then lose the shot and don't fire it. that does not open the bolt back up and eject the live round and it sits there in that very hot chambering barrel and gets way hotter than it should and that's when we go boom...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
These threads are always fascinating. They really demonstrate why one must being careful taking advice about anything from the internet, especially when it comes to load data. Another example is a thread sometime back where 30338 posted about an overload situation. The thread didn't gain as much traction, but was enlightening nonetheless to the dangers of hot loads.
A couple observations:
The two guys espousing H335 on this thread are also the two guys who've never found fault with Leupold. Make of that what you will.
A lot of the love for H335 around here back in the day was originally because of Big Stick, who pushed its use, though he lives in a locale where the temperature varies something like 30-40 degrees over the entire year. His sycophants picked up on the idea, but many later found H335 lacking in more varied environments. Yet many have still take his advice on powder selection, even when he espouses temperature sensitive powders like Leverevolution.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just outside of Klamath Falls.

Plenty hot the two days we shot last week.

High 70’s both days.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
These threads are always fascinating. They really demonstrate why one must being careful taking advice about anything from the internet, especially when it comes to load data. Another example is a thread sometime back where 30338 posted about an overload situation. The thread didn't gain as much traction, but was enlightening nonetheless to the dangers of hot loads.
A couple observations:
The two guys espousing H335 on this thread are also the two guys who've never found fault with Leupold. Make of that what you will.
A lot of the love for H335 around here back in the day was originally because of Big Stick, who pushed its use, though he lives in a locale where the temperature varies something like 30-40 degrees over the entire year. His sycophants picked up on the idea, but many later found H335 lacking in more varied environments. Yet many have still take his advice on powder selection, even when he espouses temperature sensitive powders like Leverevolution.

P.G, it’s not about the powder per se, it is about loading 1.9 grains over max in a 223 plus a slight jam. That sir is a recipe for disaster no matter what powder you use. But yes a lot of this sh*t got started with the kiss, find pressure and rock on even if you are 2 grains over max crap.
Pharm got lucky, found out the hard way he did. Good buddy of many years lost his right eye and spent 2 months in the hospital from a bolt hitting him in the face from an overload.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
A couple observations:

P.G, it’s not about the powder per se, it is about loading 1.9 grains over max in a 223 plus a slight jam. That sir is a recipe for disaster no matter what powder you use. But yes a lot of this sh*t got started with the kiss, find pressure and rock on even if you are 2 grains over max crap.
Pharm got lucky, found out the hard way he did. Good buddy of many years lost his right eye and spent 2 months in the hospital from a bolt hitting him in the face from an overload.

His loading style is dangerous. Both characters you mention. No bueno as far as I'm concerned. Like I've told him, it's going to bite him in the azz one of these days.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Just outside of Klamath Falls.

Plenty hot the two days we shot last week.

High 70’s both days.

P

Good thing it wasn’t actually hot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'seller is always in a hurry,to prove what a Dumbfhuqk she is and that never ain't not funnier than fhuqk. Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as her,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Beezer is a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk and she likes to prove it obliviously. She's still trying to get 105/8's in her 6x45 upper. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

SchitSmell is a CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk,who just "happens" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit and her Ballistics "understanding" is fhuqking HILARIOUS. She gets dizzy,once twist rates exceed 14". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pass the Lever' and hold the Fluff,with moly 75's at 2950fps in a 223 SALAMI at a 2.450" Smooch or better(a coupla my Teekers run 2.520" to same). Hint.

You gals keep dueling with Feather Dusters,while trying to Outdumbfhuqk one another for The Crown. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Shrapnel, is sense a bit of jealously on many commenting about your shooting and loading. Hang in there.

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
His loading style is dangerous. Both characters you mention. No bueno as far as I'm concerned. Like I've told him, it's going to bite him in the azz one of these days.

You’ve said this before but I disagree.

Keep in mind this is the first time I have exceeded published maximums. Ever.

It’s the last time, too.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

It’s the last time, too.

P

I feel you have eaten more crow than necessary . Good on you for admitting your mistake.

Dog I rescued in January

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m happy to serve as the poster boy for what not to do.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by rickt300

It’s the last time, too.

P

I feel you have eaten more crow than necessary . Good on you for admitting your mistake.

I agree, he doesn’t need to be pounded on anymore… he’s owned his mistake and learned a valuable lesson!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Comes down to it, we've probably all made mistakes at one time or another following this hobby- we just happened to get away with our mistakes without paying the price by sheer luck for the most part. How do you think someone figured out some powders were temp sensitive? Or, that very light loads in magnum cases can be dangerous? Or any number of things... If nothing else, Pharmseller gave us all a quick reminder that we need to be vigilant all the time when participating in this hobby so we go home with all the appendages, eyes, and other parts we came with....

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Truth be told the pressure made my dick bigger, so I’ll be marketing the recipe as male enhancement.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That should push your sales over the top in your new division....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm VERY "surprised",that the fhuqktards shut the fhuqk up. Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm VERY "surprised",that the fhuqktards shut the fhuqk up. Hint.

Now if only the Biggest Fhuqktard on the Campfire Will STFU once in a while.. it'll be in a better place...

its amazing how congenial the place can get, when said Fhuqktard is in the Drunk Tank for 30 days.

if you can't figure out who exactly that is Stumpy... look in the mirror as you Wash and Wax that chrome dome on the top of your head... If you can see over the sink counter.....without a stool...

have a good day Stumpy, patting yourself on the back all day...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
That should push your sales over the top in your new division....

Send Stumpy a bottle....max it will get his height OVER 5 feet finally in his life...

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
He’s on ignore for a reason.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: The ignorant imbecile now known as SMALL TWIG is simply irrelevant in todays CampFire.
His immature blatherings are so full of profanity that I actually think small twig is a demented, drug addled, teenager running amok.
It is sad that in this day and age small twig can NOT bring himself to engage with anyone in a mature, thoughtful and respectful manner.
Sad little twig - he is his own punishment!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Aww common you guys....

ya know Stumpy is the best entertainment value of the www....

There aren't two of him and NO ONE imitates him... he's an Oregon Original....He's from Coos Bay for those that don't know that...

I actually like the guy.... but I'll concede his biggest fan is himself, and he thinks a thousand times more of himself than I do, but still doesn't mean you can't enjoy the guy....

I can't think of a comedian ever that is funny as Schtick, when he takes himself seriously....

VG, do you think Stumpy has a clue what the word "Respectful" even means?

He lives for the times someone rattles his cage and he can get up on his soapbox and do his Schtick in response...

While he laughs at us ( supposedly), plenty folks are laughing at Stumpy...

We're lucky to have the little gnome... I've learned to respect the guy... he's like a pet cockroach...nothing can hurt him.

and on one gets more out of two working brain cells than Little Larry... It ain't easy being Schtick...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Seafire,
I noticed you mentioned you busted two stocks and screwed up a Ruger 77 shooting a .223 with 55’s and 25 grains of H335.
Care to elaborate?
I’ve been running 25.3 with 55 Hornady sp’s in an AR and it seems pretty sedate. Granted I’ve probably never shot it above 82 deg.
25.3 is Hogdon’s max in a .223 chamber, I’m running it in a Wylde seated out to p-mag length, so there may be a bit more leeway there I’d guess. R-P cases, 400’s.

Last edited by Potsy; 05/06/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

Where did your punctuation come from...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist,while you Google aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Potsy,

BOTH of those was in an 8 week period, and the same rifle.

The first was some Black Hills Ammo, back when you could buy a 50 round box for like $11.00. They were reloads. Like a lot of folks for that price, it was a cheap way to get 223 brass. I had gone thru a box, and on the 43 round, the rifle blew up. I kept the box and ammo, took pictures and contacted Black Hills Ammo. Like 6 weeks later they sent me a check for $11.00 that I had paid for the ammo, and a brief note of 'Sorry bout that'.. and nothing more.

Meanwhile I had gone to a friend that did cabinets for a living, so he had all the wood working items. He repaired the stock, which had really come apart in the kaboom. He put would glue on it, after stripping it, and then glued it back together, and let it sit in some sort of vice he uses for a week or so. I told him, I'd refinish the stock from that point. Used Early American colored Urethane on it. It was pretty eye catching, as I had folks ask where did I get the stock at, because it looked really nice.

Had a gunsmith friend go thru the action and he replaced a few parts and got it whole once again.

Put some more rounds thru it, and it was doing just fine once again. Probably about a 100 or so.

Then reloaded some rounds with 25 grains of H 335, just 10 or so... but on like the 7th or 8th, it did another blow up, and the stock came apart in big pieces once again. I pulled the last remaining 7 rounds of the Black Hills ammo apart and their charge was 25 grains of what looked like H335 powder ( who knows what it was ), with Hornady 55 gr SPs. Sent an email to Black Hills and got NO response.

So I contacted Hodgdon and they told me they had sent out some bad batches of H 335. The one I had, was in the production range, that they said they had tried to recall. I missed that evidently. I don't burn a lot of H 335, usually bought it when it was on sale.

Mike Bellm, the gunsmith who had worked it over before, looked it over real well, and came up with the conclusion it was a bad batch of powder. He shot a lot of H 335 in his guns. I had paid $300 for the rifle used, and had put about 5,000 down the tube. Mike offered me $250 for the action and barrel. I let him have it for $200 since we were friends and he had done the previous work in repair for free. I was going to just give it to him, but he insisted. The stock was shot ( literally ), but he said he had a few other Ruger stocks hanging around. When I bought the rifle for $300, it also had a 3 x 9 Nikon on top, which survived both blow ups. So I didn't have much to complain about financially on the entire affair.

Mike repaired the action and rechambered the barrel from 223 to 222. I use to take him to shoot ground squirrels and he always carried that Ruger afterwards and put a lot of rounds thru it... he took it with him when he moved back to Colorado.

However since about anything works pretty well in a bolt action 223, there are a million other powder options other than H 335. So I don't buy it. Avoid using it totally. I know many others who use it by the trainload, and never had an issue.
I just chalk it up to a bad batch.

Hodgdon did tell me that some of that bad lot number had gone to Black Hills Ammo ( in a large quantity in fact.. bulk purchase).... Hodgdon offered to replace the powder with any of my choice from their distribution network. So I said Okay, and they sent me 2 pounds for good will. Think I took H 322 IIRC. Still burn A LOT of H 322.

It all worked out in the end, but I just avoid H 335. Left a bad taste in my mouth, and as I say.. About anything works well in a 223 case. Kinda like old VWs would pretty much run on any quality of gasoline, high or low.

So there ya go... the story of it, from beginning to end. Have never ever had another issue with any powders since. Just the incidents were luck of the draw I guess...

If H 335 is working for ya, I'd keep on using it if you are happy with it. Myself, I won't touch it, just because I don't want to repeat the experience, but I know others who have used it for decades in quantity, and NEVER had a problem...

best of luck out there!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stumpy:

Where did your punctuation come from...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

well Stumpy, who taught you how to wipe your ass when you take a dump?

I'm sure you eventually figured out how to use Toilet Paper, after figuring out wiping your ass with your hands was a dumb idea. Especially afterwards your sandwiches always tasted like Schidt...

so me and how I do punctuation.....

are you really dumb enough to try and tell us all, that if we do something similar to you, that we are copying YOUR style?

put down the crack pipe, sober up and get your head out of your ass...

Since you were hatched in 1968, I was a Junior in High school in 1968. By the law of averages and a lot of common sense ( which you don't have ), I've never need to LEARN anything from you, or had the initiation to even copy anything from you.

I like ya Stumpy, but when it comes to common sense, or you even being one of those who is not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to social skills.. you are probably the last person on the planet I'd consult for style OR social skills on...

So its more likely you copied me, vs me copy you on the use of punctuation...or anything else...

So if you sobered up and read that... you can get back to being drunk and high on meth for the rest of your day, and trying to impress campfire members by showing people the same photos for the 10,000 th time...

but PM me your birthday, and mailing address, and I'll send ya a bar of soap, and a bottle of shampoo, so you can clean up for your annual birthday... oh, sorry about the comment on the bottle of shampoo.... you have nothing to use that for.... unless you shampoo your pubic hair, or use it for toothpaste... Keep me posted...I'll ship them up too right away....

Hey maybe Hutch would like the shampoo...Fluff him right up....

Have a good day Stumpy....burping, farting and passing out drunk by 4 PM...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Seafire,

One of my experiences with H335 wasn't necessarily "bad" powder, but occurred in the early 1990s when Hodgdon ran out of the original H335. They then had some made by a powder manufacturer, though I don't know who. They didn't make any announcement about it, at least that I saw--and was pretty well involved with gun writing by then, and had recently started working regularly for Wolfe Publishing.

I was running low on H335, which was THE .223 powder for many years, so bought a new batch. Loaded some ammo with the same powder charge and 50-grain bullet I'd used for years, also the same brass and primers. The first shot blew the primer--and the chronograph showed a velocity about 250 fps faster than usual--and I'd been using the load a long time. Adjusted the powder charge, and it turned out 2 grains less matched the accuracy and velocity of the original load.

Mentioned this in an article and was contacted by Ron Reiber, who headed Hodgdon's ballistic department for a long time before retiring maybe two years ago. He explained about the "new" powder being hotter than the original, and said the load I was now using was OK according to their pressure-lab tests. (After that Ron and I became good friends, and he provided a lot of good info on various aspects of powder testing and handloading.)

Anyway, the "new" H335 still proved to be pretty dirty-burning, which everybody accepted back then as part of the deal--and still pretty sensitive to heat.

But a decade or so later TAC was introduced, and it produced about the same results but with almost no fouling. In general, it was also less sensitive to heat: During one of the PD shoots my wife and I went on back then, Eileen was using the max listed load of TAC with 50-grain Ballistic Tips, and on a very hot day (the official recorded temperature by the nearest town's weather station was 104) her Kimber of Oregon .223 sporter still did not show the same pressure-signs as H335 even in somewhat lower temperatures. But she did have to let the rifle cool down more often than usual, or the bolt got a little sticky....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used H335 in a .30-30 in the 90s. It was my farm gun...rode beside me in the pickup while baling, fencing, etc. I was using fairly mild loads, but noticed a sharper report and a little more recoil if I let a round off on a hot afternoon when the rifle and ammo were nice and warm. I now use IMR 8208 and it seems better behaved on hot afternoons.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Seafire. Had been wondering about that.

Worst problem I had with 335 was when I loaded a batch of federal brass, some of which had primer pockets that were past done. Primer came out and I had to take my AR apart to remove it. Chunked that batch of loads and all my federal brass. No problem since.

Earlier in my reloading career it got a little sporty with RL22 and 760. Still use ‘22 in 7x57, .25-06, and .270WSM, I’m just not as adventurous as I used to be.

Worst experience I’ve had so far was in a .45 Colt with a 270-SAA and what was supposed to be 9.0 H-Universal. I’m pretty sure I left the small holed funnel in the bottom of the Uniflow and some bridged.
Blew the primer. Had to yam open the lever on my Henry (primer was stuck in the works), knock the case (Winchester) out with a cleaning rod. Hairline crack 2/3 of the way around the case. No visible damage on dis-assembly and inspection, but scaredthe hell out of me. Proof that a load doesn’t have to be hot by design, you can do something stupid and get hurt.

Last edited by Potsy; 05/07/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have.

Kirk,

Dunno what you're calling "killed more game without a 223," but have killed a LOT of big game without a .223, due to hunting far more places than Montana--sometimes several states/countries in one year. But whatever...

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

Sorry to hear you're irritated by my comments, but--

"There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223...than I have."

Know you have hunted in Alaska a couple times, but don't know where else aside from Montana. I have taken as many as 30 big game animals in a year without a .223, and averaged close to that for a number of years from around 1995 to 2012. (Also went on up to five several-day prairie-dog/ground squirrel shoots each year during the same period--aside from shooting "burrowing rodents" locally in Montana, with rounds from various .17s on up. On one such shoot fired 600 rounds with a .22-250--and almost as many with a .22 rimfire and .223--in two days.)

Also don't know if you remember when we (and a couple other people) discussed coming back to the PD area we've shot several times in May/June in July. You said, if I remember correctly, "No! I HATE shooting in hot weather!"

Or was that your stunt double?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Say, where did Shrap disappear to?

LOL

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had enough of you asshóles.

This thread was supposed to be about me.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn't paint with that broad of a brush. There's been lots of helpful posts here. True, had a troll or two show up, but it's been entertaining nonetheless.

Bottom line is lots of folks have had similar experiences. Unexpected things happen and things go boom. Thank God no one was hurt then we fix our gear and move on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gaschekt, I believe Pharmseller was tongue in cheek but I could be mistaken. I don't think he is that thin skinned. I was quite impressed with his willingness to admit a mistake and come publicly post it as well as take the tongue lashings. The majority here on the campfire when online can't admit to being wrong or apologize about anything.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Say, where did Shrap disappear to?

LOL

Shakin the tree boss!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
these bad lots of H335 or a formula change do we have any kind of lot numbers or dates?..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are no bad lots of H335, only bad judgement loading with it. Same as with any other powder. Overload the case and experience excessive pressure.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
''There is not a person that has killed more game--------"

Pretty damned bold statement.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
PatB, if you’re gonna revive a months-dormant thread, you gotta make the post about me.

Don’t be like all those other åssholes.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
PatB, if you’re gonna revive a months-dormant thread, you gotta make the post about me.

Don’t be like all those other åssholes.

P

🤣

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Swiftly just made the list.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Swiftly just made the list.

🤣 👌 ✌️

Swifty
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I for one appreciate a guy that can own up to mistakes. Good on ya @Pharmseller

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pharm is a bit of a glutton for punishment. Or perhaps an exceptionally good sport.

Never having met him, I couldn't say for sure.

😸

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I didn’t get enough attention as a child so I seek it even now, positive or negative.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn’t get enough attention as a child so I seek it even now, positive or negative.

P

did you steal that statement from Schtick?

in all of his BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
that appears to what he is hinting at... Hint.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.