Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Howdy fire,
I know we have a good guy list of reputable people to deal with who have has positive transactions with other members on here, but do we have a blacklist of people who not to deal with?

Reason I ask is that I was recently attempted to be scammed by a [bleep] for a want add that I posted. Luckily literally every sign was there from the git-go but I chose to play along and see how far the scammer would take it before I called him out on it. Since then, he has gone quiet. So I just wanted to make sure that he doesn't get anyone who might not be so observant to see the signs.

Signs that were observed:
Answering a want add with something very nice, way under market.
A junior member on here that literally just met his 50 post count.
All 50 of his post were minimum, one line answers.
Refusing to answer a phone call and talk in person
Refusing to provide name/location
Refusing to provide who he planned to use for shipping(firearm)
Only accepting paypal, venmo and zelle as payment
Sent me pics of a rifle that was listed on gunsamerica
When asked for a pic with the date and his name he sent me one of the same pics with a poor attempt to photoshop the date onto the pic, left his name off.

That's when I called him out. Lots of bad people out there. Watch your back.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So what's his handle so that we don't get suckered by him?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oldhardluckrifle

Maybe I'm wrong, but there has just been to many signs. He was last active 5 hrs ago

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
Howdy fire,
I know we have a good guy list of reputable people to deal with who have has positive transactions with other members on here, but do we have a blacklist of people who not to deal with?

Reason I ask is that I was recently attempted to be scammed by a [bleep] for a want add that I posted. Luckily literally every sign was there from the git-go but I chose to play along and see how far the scammer would take it before I called him out on it. Since then, he has gone quiet. So I just wanted to make sure that he doesn't get anyone who might not be so observant to see the signs.

When asked for a pic with the date and his name he sent me one of the same pics with a poor attempt to photoshop the date onto the pic, left his name off.

Just stay away from him/it/her.......

Too many honest guys here to deal with

Your post shows too many red flags

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh I agree. I chose to play along knowing that the deal was fake. Never hurts to find out what the latest and greatest tactics these people are employing to alert the good guys out there who are trying to do the right thing.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
Howdy fire,

Just stay away from him/it/her.......

Too many honest guys here to deal with

Your post shows too many red flags

I'd let Rick know. He's taken trash to the curb for being a scammer before.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Report flag icon and brief reason to Bin .

He can't do anything if he ain't aware.
Same for scumball sockpuppets up here and scumball sockpuppet scammers in the classifieds...
More people need to use the report flag........

Totally aynomous......

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
No shìt?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds almost identical to the corksucker that tried to scam me on a WTB ad here about 6 months ago. Rick Bin got rid of him. Probably the same guy.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I do a lot more buy/sell on the local hunting site coueswhitetail... guaranteed if you put up a WTB thread, scammers will sign up and offer the item, anybody that hasn't figured this out yet needs to pay attention, most guys know already.

I only buy guns FTF, high end optics ect. I want to handle the item first.

Less expensive items I'll sell or buy here, can't get hurt to bad, mostly it's been with established members which always seems to make the deal go smooth.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The obvious answer is, quit posting WTB ads in the classifieds. With CHAT GTP, the replies are going to keep getting more realistic.

Another forum has said quit posting WTB ADS because they are a magnet for scammers and cause problems for the administration having to deal with it.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Funny how the scammer guy has not a single post in the classifieds. Went straight to PMs?

Part of the MO for him I guess.

The WTB ads sure seem to draw them out, as stated.

Thanks for the heads up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, that's one of the things that make me think...ok maybe.... that and he joined 5 months prior. But all the signs were there. I dont mind taking away some time and effort from a cock bag. I knew soon as he replied to me the first time that it was bogus. Wanted to see how far it would go.
But as far as posting want adds. Yup, I generally dont do it, and have never once had one work . It paints a target on you for scammers. Another thing I hate is that if I post up a want add, then I loose all my bargaining leverage in any deal. Which sucks cause I'm a cheap, broke ass...lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are exceptions - the man who bought my pistol had less than five posts. His money order was good and his FFL was good, and he now owns a nice pistol.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Whoa there mister. Black list? That sounds a bit racist.

-Piss into the wind.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
If I ever post a WTB add here or anywhere again it's gonna have quite a few stipulations.

BTDT, had strangers with just what I wanted but were vague with some answers. Thinking I'll buy from only known members with X transactions.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well he was active only 45 minutes ago and given that almost every one of his 52 posts have been in the Hunter's Campfire I think it likely he saw this thread.
So I wonder why he isn't commenting...

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
He tried to scam me as well. He sent me a PM on an ad that I had placed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vixen

He's been banned and marked as a scammer

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by vixen

He's been banned and marked as a scammer

Good.... may he die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,237
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.