Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Mid point/neutral balance is not perfect for off hand shooting. Never has been, never will be. Butt heavy is the worst. Weight forward best.

It's pointless to argue the matter. Weight forward, weight rearward. Next some "expert" has to say how much weight forward or rearward is appropriate. No two people will agree. But most people agree that a rifle that balances between the hands makes for a very comfortably carrying and handling rifle. My BLRs balance where my Marlin rifles balanced. Where my slug guns balance. If I am holding a gun up without a rest, especially for any length of time, a balance point mid way between my hands is much appreciated. A muzzle heavy gun can dampen muzzle wobble if you are disposed to wobbling your muzzle - until you start to tire, then it can exacerbate it. Snap shots are one thing. But still hunting often requires holding up a gun without a rest until a good shot is available.

But be all that as it may, my point was to address your implication that the BLRs are rear-heavy and have bad triggers. They are not rear heavy. In fact, they are slightly front heavy. My scopes moved the balance point back a bit on my rifles. Otherwise, or with a scope with a bigger objective, the balance point would be right at the front edge of the magazine. And what's "bad" with respect to a trigger is as subjective as where one wants weight. The BLR trigger is poor compared to some rifles and better than others. I've had lever rifles that people tend to get all gooey over than had worse triggers. It certainly isn't so poor that I felt I needed to send it off somewhere to get it worked on. I've learned to use it and have no complaints about it.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
I have a 1985 steel receiver 257 Roberts that isn't terrible with anything I shot in it. 100 gr Speers with IMR 4350 will generally go under an inch. 115 Partitions hang real close with the same powder. Trigger sucks. Been meaning to polish it up as you can get to them without getting into the action mechanism, but didn't get to it yet. Doing that will make it a different gun for me.

Have a newer light weight 358 Win that's still in the box, never shot it yet. Little bit I tested the trigger it is much better than the older Roberts. I dislike the glossy stocks. I wont touch the 257 because of what it is, but if I ever get to using the 358 as a carry gun, that gloss will have to go.

I’ve got a glossy 358 as well I’ve threatened to refinish with oil as well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Mid point/neutral balance is not perfect for off hand shooting. Never has been, never will be. Butt heavy is the worst. Weight forward best.

It's pointless to argue the matter. Weight forward, weight rearward. Next some "expert" has to say how much weight forward or rearward is appropriate. No two people will agree. .
Yeah, it would be pointless for you to argue since I tend to pay little heed to people with a small fraction of my own experience on a subject. Get back to me after you've won a few league, State and regional competitions and killed a couple hundred more deer shooting off hand with various rifles.. Every BLR I've ever picked up had what I consider a lousy trigger and being a life long lever action fan I've handled more than a couple. Since I can't stand Brownings lousy high gloss finish or the lousy trigger, I've always decided it would take more work than it was worth for me to turn it into something I'd be willing to hunt and put them back on the shelf.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOL, whatever, Blackheart, whatever. From that guy that thinks the Mossberg 500 is the end-all, be-all shotgun. crazy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd bet my 500's have killed more deer, turkeys, rabbits, upland birds, waterfowl and predators than all of your shotguns combined and they've never malfunctioned in many years of heavy use. They also center their patterns nicely, which is something that can't be said for many of yours.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd bet my 500's have killed more deer, turkeys, rabbits, upland birds, waterfowl and predators than all of your shotguns combined and they've never malfunctioned in many years of heavy use. They also center their patterns nicely, which is something that can't be said for many of yours.

I know, I know. You're the greatest hunter on this board. Most knowledgable. That's why you're held in such high esteem. whistle

I average 5-7 deer a season, no bait, no food plots, no lease fees, no cameras, no range finder, no turret twisting, no elevated stands,..

An no pictures.

Maybe you kill a lot of critters. Maybe you have good reason not to back up any of your claims. I recall you saying on the Turkey Forum you just don't like posting pictures, and that's why you never do.

Or maybe you're just a lying sack of shyt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I know, I know. You're the greatest hunter on this board. Most knowledgable. That's why you're held in such high esteem. whistle

I average 5-7 deer a season, no bait, no food plots, no lease fees, no cameras, no range finder, no turret twisting, no elevated stands,..

An no pictures.

Maybe you kill a lot of critters. Maybe you have good reason not to back up any of your claims. I recall you saying on the Turkey Forum you just don't like posting pictures, and that's why you never do.

Or maybe you're just a lying sack of shyt.
What reason would anybody have to lie to a bunch of strangers on the internet ? I don't know you and don't care to. My evaluation of your hunting experience/expertise or rather lack thereof, is based on what you've posted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What reason would anybody have to lie to a bunch of strangers on the internet ?

What reason? Because you have a huge chip on your shoulder. Lots of nobodies and liars craving attention and admiration do.

I don't know you and don't care to.

How many people have you said this to? In a quick perusal of your bullshyt posts, you've written it out more than once when someone calls our your idiotic posts.

My evaluation of your hunting experience/expertise or rather lack thereof, is based on what you've posted.

From what I can tell, what you know is available to anyone who can use Google. Your actual experience, though, would fit in a bee's dick.

Have a good day, poser.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What reason would anybody have to lie to a bunch of strangers on the internet ?

What reason? Because you have a huge chip on your shoulder. Lots of nobodies and liars craving attention and admiration do.

I don't know you and don't care to.

How many people have you said this to? In a quick perusal of your bullshyt posts, you've written it out more than once when someone calls our your idiotic posts.

My evaluation of your hunting experience/expertise or rather lack thereof, is based on what you've posted.

From what I can tell, what you know is available to anyone who can use Google. Your actual experience, though, would fit in a bee's dick.

Have a good day, poser.
Wow, that's not very nice. I'm heartbroken. LOL

PS...

After the creepy shyt you pulled on Goalie, I don't know why you'd think anybody would want to know you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure you are, poser. The moment you decided to comment on the BLR, as if you know anything about it, I knew you didn't know what you were talking about. But you decided to spout off anyway. It's not the first time you've given every indication that you don't know what you are talking about. But it never stops you. And when you get called out, you get cantankerous, as if that will mask your ignorance. The difference between me and you is I have no one to impress here, and care not one iota if I do. You, on the other hand, you desperately seek affirmation. You've been full of shyt since you started on this site. Your posts speak for themselves. Given the regard folks seem to have for you, I suspect I'm not the only one that sees through your bullshyt.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Why don't you post some more video of you missing sitting birds with one of your great shotguns. Hmm, wonder why I find it hard to believe you have the first fuuckin clue what it takes to shoot well offhand with a rifle ? Or maybe you could post some more pics of trophy jakes you mounted that look like they were done by a first grader in art class. Those were fuuckin hilarious ! I'd show you the pics of the gobbler I shot this past spring and the 8 point buck I killed in November but I'm afraid it'd just make your completely justified inferiority complex even worse and push you into more creepy behavior. Now post up some more pics of guns that have never been hunted and keep wondering why you suck at it. I'm sure you must be good at something but hunting and shooting sure as hell ain't it. Loser.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i purchased a Browning BLR takedown s.s. 30-06 Laminated wood satin finished , i had the trigger redone its very nice now, shoots very decent groups at 100 yds. 200 yds probably farer if i had to, what i like about this lever rifle is it has a decent clip/magazine so the bullet ends don`t get mushed up . and no i have not shot as many animals with it probably never will since i only will shoot nicer bucks anymore with a firearm and this year 2023 no buck with a firearm but seen plenty deer , at 70 years of age i like to let my 11 yr.old grandkids and the rest of the family shoot deer. i get more excited being with and watching little grandson shoot a deer with his 257 Roberts Ruger #1 its kinda a lever too with one shot 90 yards out. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 01/02/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd show you the pics of the gobbler I shot this past spring and the 8 point buck I killed in November but I'm afraid ...

Just asking you to put your money where your mouth is.

Now whoever is running your group home needs to reset the NetNanny password.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/03/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are one creepy, pathetic sack of shyt and don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about hunting or shooting.. GFY

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So you're saying no verifiable proof of the "hundreds" of deer you claim to have killed in NY?

LOL.

Next poser up?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You don't rate proof of anything. My grandkids and nephews are far better hunters and marksmen than you'll ever be. You proved what an incompetent boob you are with your own pics, posts and video. My walls are virtually covered with antlers and mounts and my freezer full to the top with venison.. You have a bunch of shotguns that don't hit where you point them and rifles with lousy triggers that you're too stupid to realize are junk as they are and correct their obvious shortcomings. Like I said. Loser.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ahh, children.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an early BLR in .358 I inherited recently when my Dad passed. Luckily he had a couple of boxes of ammunition as it seems it is not readily available. I will hunt with it this fall. Most of the thread was informative and even the name calling added drama.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
I have an early BLR in .358 I inherited recently when my Dad passed. Luckily he had a couple of boxes of ammunition as it seems it is not readily available. I will hunt with it this fall. Most of the thread was informative and even the name calling added drama.

You'll really like the 358 Win. I have a later BLR that was a nightmare on deer for me. Just a great rifle.

Keep your eye out for ammo, and don't pass up the WW 200 grain Silvertips or Power Points if you can find them. They are pretty accurate in my BLR and really open nicely on bucks.

Just checked Ammoseek and they had quite a pile of options for the Winchester 200 grain Power Point and Buffalo Bore 225 TSX.

Last edited by beretzs; 02/14/24.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by pete53
i purchased a Browning BLR takedown s.s. 30-06 Laminated wood satin finished , i had the trigger redone its very nice now, shoots very decent groups at 100 yds. 200 yds probably farer if i had to, what i like about this lever rifle is it has a decent clip/magazine so the bullet ends don`t get mushed up . and no i have not shot as many animals with it probably never will since i only will shoot nicer bucks anymore with a firearm and this year 2023 no buck with a firearm but seen plenty deer , at 70 years of age i like to let my 11 yr.old grandkids and the rest of the family shoot deer. i get more excited being with and watching little grandson shoot a deer with his 257 Roberts Ruger #1 its kinda a lever too with one shot 90 yards out. Pete53

Pete, I owned two BLR's. One was a TD in .308 the other was a .358. Nice rifles but sold them both to try different stuff.
I often read the longer actions like the 06 or 300 win Mag were more difficult to work, especially from the shoulder. What is your opinion of the longer actions?
I am considering buying a TD in stainless 30-06 and having it rechambered/rebored to 9.3x62

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.