Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I think it’s about time I bought a “good” .22 RF rifle. I have a good .17 HMR; a 10+ year old CZ but I’d like a .22.

I have not looked at “good” .22s in over 30 years so I’m really out of touch.

No interest in the 10/22.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would start with a Tikka T1x or another CZ. check out the 457. There are others, depends on how much you want to spend. If your into older guns a Win. mod 75 would be a good one also. Jmo.

Last edited by jc189; 05/08/23.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Used could get you a Anshultz or Savage Anshultz. Edk

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Winchester 69A….had on few years now and very few rounds down it. The 75 is a well made one too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
CZ s are are hard to beat. Or, look around for a cherry Marlin M39. Bergara makes a couple nice ones. Lots of choices out there.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have owned several really accurate .22s, including a New York Kimber sporter and an Anschutz Model 54. But my present one is a heavy-barrel CZ 457.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
T1x

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find a nice used Rem 541T.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GRF
I think it’s about time I bought a “good” .22 RF rifle. I have a good .17 HMR; a 10+ year old CZ but I’d like a .22.

I have not looked at “good” .22s in over 30 years so I’m really out of touch.

No interest in the 10/22.

Thanks in advance.

I saw a CZ457 the other day that I almost bought. It had one of the nicest stocks I've seen on a 22lr in a long time. If you like CZ's, that's what I'd suggest.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Winnie70
The Winchester 69A….had on few years now and very few rounds down it. The 75 is a well made one too.

Very accurate and exude the classic charm.

Old guy, old guns.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If you don’t mind plastic, I like my Tikka very well so far. She do need some accessorizing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
CZ hands down. Love my 455s.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hardway
Find a nice used Rem 541T.

Great choice. I've had one since they were first introduced.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bolt action.22's bore the hell out of me. So does the thought of punching endless holes in paper shooting for groups from a bench. I'll take my BL-22 over any bolt action .22. It's slim, light, handy and works great for hunting cottontails and squirrels and shooting steel spinners in the back yard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GRF;
Top of the morning to you my friend, I hope that the day in your section of the world is breaking bright and fair and that you're all well.

As I believe you know about me, I'm prone to dive down rabbit holes somewhat, though I must admit that when I go to the rimfire section here I see I'm not alone in that regard.

This was a couple years back so some have since been traded off and there are different scopes, rings and bases on at least two.

[Linked Image]

Again I'm cognizant that selection shows I'm a mere piker for a few here, but it illustrates a bit of a baseline.

A shooting and hunting friend just picked up a CZ 457 that looks like this, but that's not his and he's running a Vortex if I'm not wrong.

[Linked Image from womensoutdoornews.com]

Another buddy picked up a single shot Anschutz 54 single shot with a heavy barrel about the same diameter of the one on the 10/22 with the thumbhole stock and I want to say he's running an Athlon.

Lastly another buddy has a Winchester 69 along with a couple of older Remington bolt actions, a family member has a Ruger American Compact and another good friend has a new Browning T Bolt, CZ and Tikka T1X but with the longer barrel than mine.

All that then is the basis for the following thoughts.

They are all very much ammo dependent as far as what they like to eat. Even the CZ's and Tikka will show preferences.

Here's my Brno No 5 and the Tikka T1X test groups which are 10 shots at 25yds.

[Linked Image]

We do our best work with scopes which have adjustable objectives so we can dial out the parallax. Surely we can work around it to a certain degree, but it requires more effort and is more hit and miss - literally. wink

If one can't get the trigger below about 3lbs and fairly crisp, it's a struggle to be consistent.

Good front rests and rear rabbit ear bags accompanied by good technique and habits can make or break the testing session.

We're early days testing them against each other, mostly for now we're each trying to get our own techniques down first, but it looks like the heavy Anschutz will perform best, though the single shot part of it would eliminate it for me personally.

Anyways as always there's a whole bunch of roads to Mecca, but this is where I'm at so far on the journey.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My all time favorite might be the 513s by Remington. I had a 39 Marlin and I have a 61 Winchester, both nice rifles. If I wanted a fairly inexpensive paper puncher it might be another 513T, yet I have one and it doesn’t get shot a lot.
If I were to buy another 22, it would probably be a CZ 527 or a different CZ not sure.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Another vote for a Remington 541T.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mostly maligned but if you can pickup a Ruger 77/22 reasonably priced go for it. Some dozen years ago I ordered 5 consecutively numbered specimens with wood stocks and Nikon rf 4x scopes. Gave each of my grandkids one and set them up using CCI minimag ammo. Some of the trigger pulls were heavy but that was fixed with aftermarket springs. All of the rifles will shoot 1/2 in groups or better provided they are single loaded and not from the magazine which will expand the group somewhat. Liked them so much I bought me a used 77/22 RS and it shoots just as well

For fun and great accuracy I sure like the Marlin 39. Even more fun is a Winchester 1890 pump.

Last edited by Caplock; 05/09/23.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
CZ 457 Premium...SUPERB shooter!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, whatever you pick up, and there are some good suggestions here, don't buy one of these dang things. They don't shoot worth a damn.

Pathetic they are.

These things suck too.

I've seen shotguns that pattern better than this.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a new one, and wood, CZ 457s are the easy button. They have a nitride finish, so the lack of SS isn’t a big deal for me. They offer multiple styles, and you can swap stocks and barrels around, assuming you can find the parts and turn say, a heavy target style into a sporter, which is what I ended up doing.

If synthetic is your thing, the Tikkas are really good shooters by all accounts.

Lots of great old guns out there if you enjoy the chase……..

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Bolt action.22's bore the hell out of me. So does the thought of punching endless holes in paper shooting for groups from a bench. I'll take my BL-22 over any bolt action .22. It's slim, light, handy and works great for hunting cottontails and squirrels and shooting steel spinners in the back yard.

Bolt guns bore me too, but so do pretty much any rapid fire .22 rifles anymore. I mostly treat .22 rifles as I do centerfire rifles - measured unhurried slow fire for score & accuracy. Where a lot of people get their jollies by ding-ding-dinging steel and expend a brick of ammo in an afternoon, I get the same jollies by expending one box for ten 5-shot groups in an afternoon. (.22 pistols are another story, and I'm as bad as anyone else.)

Ballards, a Stevens Walnut Hill, and a Martini International:

What I did with the Martini last weekend, 100 yards, Eley Tenex:

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Bolt guns bore me too, but so do pretty much any rapid fire .22 rifles anymore. I mostly treat .22 rifles as I do centerfire rifles - measured unhurried slow fire for score & accuracy. Where a lot of people get their jollies by ding-ding-dinging steel and expend a brick of ammo in an afternoon, I get the same jollies by expending one box for ten 5-shot groups in an afternoon. (.22 pistols are another story, and I'm as bad as anyone else.)

Ballards, a Stevens Walnut Hill, and a Martini International:

What I did with the Martini last weekend, 100 yards, Eley Tenex:

Bench shooting doesn't interest me in the least. I practice for hunting and there are no bench rests where I hunt. My practice is almost all done off hand since that's how most of my game is shot.. As long as I can ding a 2" diameter spinner consistently from 65 yards I'm happy. My record is 78 hits in a row. If you can shoot off hand, everything else is easy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bench shooting doesn't interest me in the least. I practice for hunting and there are no bench rests where I hunt. My practice is almost all done off hand since that's how most of my game is shot.. As long as I can ding a 2" diameter spinner consistently from 65 yards I'm happy. My record is 78 hits in a row. If you can shoot off hand, everything else is easy.[/quote]

Yep, I have to agree, and through most of my life I shot a helluva lot of offhand. But now my back and neck are bolloxed up with scoliosis and I can't assume even a halfway decent offhand stance. So the bench it is, and I don't mind it a bit - just a different form of burning powder and slinging lead. When squirrel/deer hunting I'll sneak around and take periodic sitdowns where I can wield a rifle effectively, hopefully with a tree trunk or branch to steady my aim. An animal that's skittering around while I'm standing on my hind legs gets a bye.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought a CZ MTR 22LR recently.Along with having super nice wood I was able to get the factory trigger down to 14 ounces with out the CZ after market trigger pull spring. They are pillar bedded from the factory and have a match chamber.I have gotten 1/4" groups at 50 using inexpensive sub sonic ammo.I can`t wait to see what it does with some of the good stuff.I also have a CZ 457 Varmint in 22WMR but have not fired it yet. Just had my knee replaced last Tuesday and it is holding up my shooting. I have also picked up a Tikka T1x in 22 LR.That sucker is also a shooter. The trigger went down to 1.5 pounds of pull no problem.Another winter purchase is a Steyr Mannlicker Zepher II. I have not shot that one either but is is very cool with outstanding wood and a fine adjustable trigger.My only fault with that rifle is a long LOP.14.5 inches. I am hoping to be shooting by this weekend.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dead nuts accurate 22 s are a lot of fun. I've won my share of 22BR matches with my M54 Anschutz.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gnoahhh;
Top of the morning to you sir - well it's still morning out here in the BC mountains - regardless I trust all is going according to plan for you.

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your single shot rimfires. My goodness those are "just right" to my way of thinking! cool

While I love the look of the hammer guns and would be hard pressed to say which one stirs my heart more - that Martini reminds me of a BSA that I really and truly should have made a greater effort to buy.

It had no scope mounts as I recall, just a fairly sophisticated set of aperture sights and it belonged to a buddy's son in law. Although it was decades ago now and I might be wrong, I recall it being quite heavy with either a full diameter bull barrel or one with not much taper.

I've no clue how well it shot either, but it's one of a few that I didn't get and once in awhile think about.

Thanks again and good shooting too by the way!

All the best.

Dwayne

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dwayne, if you get a chance to snag a BSA International do it. I don't know of one that won't hold its own with M52's and Anschutzes, and often surpass them. They are 70+ year old technology now but were always built to very high standards with magnificent barrels - qualities which stand the test of time no matter the gun.

Those groups I posted a pic of were shot in a twitchy 5-6mph head wind. I doped the wind fairly well but I got the fliers that you see when my brain said "don't shoot", but my trigger finger disobeyed.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/09/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry to hear of your physical limitations gnoahhh but happy to hear you're keepin' on and are still able to enjoy the sport. May you have many more years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have an Anschutz, Ruger 77/22, and CZ457. All great shooters, but each is ammo dependent. Neighbor's Tika seems to do well to. Presently, I'd go with CZ or Tika and work the trigger.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
gnoahhh;
Top of the morning to you sir - well it's still morning out here in the BC mountains - regardless I trust all is going according to plan for you.

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your single shot rimfires. My goodness those are "just right" to my way of thinking! cool

While I love the look of the hammer guns and would be hard pressed to say which one stirs my heart more - that Martini reminds me of a BSA that I really and truly should have made a greater effort to buy.

It had no scope mounts as I recall, just a fairly sophisticated set of aperture sights and it belonged to a buddy's son in law. Although it was decades ago now and I might be wrong, I recall it being quite heavy with either a full diameter bull barrel or one with not much taper.

I've no clue how well it shot either, but it's one of a few that I didn't get and once in awhile think about.

All the best.

Dwayne

gnoahhh has some cool rifles. I also appreciate him posting pics of them and the groups he's shooting. While I will admit, shooting 22lr really bores the heck out of me, it's also nice to have some nice shooting ones in the stable. I pulled out a couple in the last couple months, just to keep from getting too rusty and to check my weak side shooting. To me, it sounds like the OP is looking for a really nice rifle, so I stand by my suggestion of the CZ 457 with a beautiful wood stock. Not the weird looking european hump back stock either.

Also, what I think is funny is blackheart gets so irritated with guys shooting off the bench, but that is really the only way you are going to know the rifle's full potential. Just how the cookie crumbles. I'm sure there are many of us that have slayed truckloads of vermin, but we don't brag about it. That's just not in my nature. Others mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take a look at a Steyr Zephyr II.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm sure there are many of us that have slayed truckloads of vermin, but we don't brag about it. That's just not in my nature.

That’s rich.

Yet you’re always trying convince everyone how great you are.

I guess the truckloads of vermin pics are with the truckloads of big game pics?

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
541-S or 541-T.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
gnoahhh;

All the best.

Dwayne

gnoahhh has some cool rifles. I also appreciate him posting pics of them and the groups he's shooting. While I will admit, shooting 22lr really bores the heck out of me, it's also nice to have some nice shooting ones in the stable. I pulled out a couple in the last couple months, just to keep from getting too rusty and to check my weak side shooting. To me, it sounds like the OP is looking for a really nice rifle, so I stand by my suggestion of the CZ 457 with a beautiful wood stock. Not the weird looking european hump back stock either.

Also, what I think is funny is blackheart gets so irritated with guys shooting off the bench, but that is really the only way you are going to know the rifle's full potential. Just how the cookie crumbles. I'm sure there are many of us that have slayed truckloads of vermin, but we don't brag about it. That's just not in my nature. Others mileage may vary.
Zeroing and load work up/testing is the only time I'll shoot from a bench. Often not even zeroing as I can easily shoot sub MOA groups off a rolled up jacket on the hood of my Jeep. Poking endless holes in paper targets from the bench holds no fascination and precious little practical value for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 457 Sporter and Bergara BMR Steel. Both shoot very well with the edge going to Bergara. I also have a 17HMR barrel for the .17HMR which is excellent. I have also owned a couple of Savage Anschutz 22's that were nice but no more accurate than the CZ or Bergara for me.

Last edited by centershot; 05/09/23.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CZ 457 has scratched the 22lr bolt itch that my 39A just could not. I went with a good scope and have used the sand bags to send rounds out waaaay farther than I have in the past. My friend has a few of the classics mentioned in above posts. He shoots them well and I do my best to keep up. We each have our days. Which ever route you take your going to like 22lr, and the change of pace sub sonic ammo provides on range days.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Paid almost a grand for a Cooper 22LR 10 yrs ago. Worth every penny and I would do it again.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
That was a USED Cooper!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
oldcuss-

Go look at that Jackson Squirrel Rifle on Rimfire Central for sale. Too purty to shoot for me!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
GRF-

I would suggest setting some guidelines first.

What’s your budget? Rifles suggested so far can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

What’s your intended purpose? Bench target shooting, or perhaps hunting?

What is your desired accuracy expectation?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by robertham1
GRF-

What’s your budget? Rifles suggested so far can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

FINALLY!!! 5 pages deep and we don't have the budget and use defined. It's an exercise in futility without some parameters defined.

G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Lol lots of useful and interesting information given so far in an “exercise in futility”

Parameters

Budget $1500 Cdn (about $75 usd 😃 sarcasm font for those who can’t read betwixt the lines) I recognize that quality and consistency carrys a price.

Purpose to improve my centrefire skills via; bench, silhouette, plinking and varmint slaying.

Desired expectations around MOA similar to my .17 HMR.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep in mind I told you to stay away from 10/22's and Contender Carbines....with Bullberry barrels...and good ammo. The Contender group I posted was shot from a bag rest at 50 yards.

My 100 yd group with the 10/22 is...

They both suck.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
Lol lots of useful and interesting information given so far in an “exercise in futility”

Parameters

Budget $1500 Cdn (about $75 usd 😃 sarcasm font for those who can’t read betwixt the lines) I recognize that quality and consistency carrys a price.

Purpose to improve my centrefire skills via; bench, silhouette, plinking and varmint slaying.

One rifle that will meet those specifications is a 513T Remington. Mine is truly a tack driver. 513T’s were designed as target rifles. I’m not how you’d import from the USA. I’m guessing you’d still have a few Loonies in your pocket after buying one.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/09/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If someone wants a BSA International MKIII I am thinking of selling mine. First year rifle in excellent shape. (UF12*) Has the correct Parker Hale peeps with inserts and holder, handstop and adjustable butt plate. Also have a Lyman Super Target 20X with end caps, rubber eye cup and wood case. Won't be cheap, these are now hard to come by when they are correct and complete.

Back track for the OP a Tikka TX or several CZ's are also very good and much less expensive. I have a CZ 452 that is very accurate with ammo it likes but not at the same level as the BSA.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like the Kimber of Oregon Model 82s. Mine have been very accurate, and are put up nicely, both wood and metal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
GRF-

What kind of sicko are you?
Budgets?
Guidelines?
Intended purposes?
We’re talking guns here, you find what you like and you figure out a way to get it.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have a CZ and like it, I'd suggest getting whatever the current production version of your 17 HMR is. I like having the same make/model of rifles chambered for different cartridges that are set up the same so that moving from rifles to rifle, cartridge to cartridge, is sort of seamless.

You can't go wrong with an Anschutz, Savage-Anschutz, Krico, Winchester 320, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
CZ 457 has scratched the 22lr bolt itch that my 39A just could not. I went with a good scope and have used the sand bags to send rounds out waaaay farther than I have in the past. My friend has a few of the classics mentioned in above posts. He shoots them well and I do my best to keep up. We each have our days. Which ever route you take your going to like 22lr, and the change of pace sub sonic ammo provides on range days.

On the right colored target or background @ 200 yards you can watch that .22 bullet in flight. Pretty amazing just how accurate they are at that range. Fun stuff.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by GRF

Parameters

One rifle that will meet those specifications is a 513T Remington. Mine is truly a tack driver. 513T’s were designed as target rifles. I’m not how you’d import from the USA. I’m guessing you’d still have a few Loonies in your pocket after buying one.

Or, if you can find one, Remington 521-T. Originally designed as a target/field hybrid. Mine’s a 1948 version and the rifle I learned to shoot with. I can still recall the first shot I ever fired, at, probably 3 years of age, sitting between my father’s knees and pulling the trigger, the crack of the rifle, and the intoxicating smell of the rimfire gunsmoke. Don’t know if they were d&t, but an easy enough job. Mine’s in my son’s custody now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

On the right colored target or background @ 200 yards you can watch that .22 bullet in flight. Pretty amazing just how accurate they are at that range. Fun stuff.

Indeed. But, 200 yards, and farther, with a .22LR isn't for the faint of heart! Wind is your enemy, especially if starting out sub-sonic, and further exacerbated if there's a super-sonic to sub-sonic transition along the way if faster ammo is employed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
GRF-

What kind of sicko are you?
Budgets?
Guidelines?
Intended purposes?
We’re talking guns here, you find what you like and you figure out a way to get it.

I’m the worse kind of sicko when it comes to .22’s. Im non discriminatory and love them all. From antiques to modern- they all are great.

But I understand that some don’t share my addiction

Last edited by robertham1; 05/10/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ERK
Used could get you a Anshultz or Savage Anshultz. Edk

I know where several of those are.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I’m the worse kind of sicko when it comes to .22’s. Im non discriminatory and love them all. From antiques to modern- they all are great.

But I understand that some don’t share my addiction

I’ve got a couple of antiques if interested.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thoughts on the Weatherby Mark XXII?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
GRF-

FINALLY!!! 5 pages deep and we don't have the budget and use defined. It's an exercise in futility without some parameters defined.

Paul;
Top of the morning to you, though it's admittedly later in the day on the east coast for you folks. I trust it's good cycling weather and you're well.

With respect, I'm going to differ with your assessment of the thread being an exercise in futility for the following reasons.

When my friend GRF posed a broad question, he left it open for a few of us to answer it in a correspondingly wide open fashion, so we had gnoahhh putting up photos of his exquisite single shots, Digital Dan his TC as well as a 10/22 and a host of others who like my response tossed up experience from more than half a dozen manufacturers and styles.

Perhaps it's my wiring, but I rather enjoy getting the perspective from a wide range of shooters and experience.

As well, it does my heart good to know I'm not alone in having a bit of a problem with way too many .22 rifles in the safe.

Anyways as always Paul, just some random thoughts from an even more random semi-geezer north of the medicine line.

All the best to you all today Paul.

Dwayne

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
I had one, really liked it but it was too nice for me to use. The wood and finish on it was beautiful. I shot it very little, enough to show it was a shooter though. Mine was the magazine fed version.
The value on these skyrocketed and I sold it a few years ago. Kind of regretted it now.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had the itch for a nice 22LR a couple of years ago and splurged on a Cooper Western Classic and never looked back. I bought a CZ 457 in 22 mag and it was a great shooter very accurate rifle. I saw another Cooper custom classic in 22 mag and bought it and sold the CZ. The 17HMR bug bit and a Browning T bolt was purchased. This shoots extremely well and it comes in 22LR. I like the 10 round magazine. Yet another Cooper Custom Classic in 17 HMR showed up and yup I bought that as well. I will keep the Browning however. The Cooper's make the perfect tri fecta of rimfire rifles for me. They look as good as they shoot.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
A lot of great suggestions and exceptional shooting presented here…..and none of the rifles suggested would be a bad option. I tend to lean towards the CZ 457s for currently manufactured rifles as they tend to be extremely accurate and attractive (to me)…….so it’s really up to what you think that you’d like in a rifle.

I don’t understand though finding any rifle or type of shooting “boring”….I can understand preferences for types of shooting but I just can’t imagine being bored when I have the opportunity to shoot ANY types of rifles or venues - especially with .22s🤔😁

PennDog

p.s. Awesome shooting Gary - look forward to seeing that done in person next time!!

Last edited by PennDog; 05/12/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thread is not a waste, the responses are interesting. Pics, too.

But this geezer wondered about the same things as Robert: budget, expectations, purpose.

Expectations drive budget. There is a law of diminishing returns.

Have a 1712 that shoots right along with an older 52C heavy. 1" for 10 at 100 yds in calm is very doable. That's CCI SV, no less. But neither gets used much b/c my purposes are informal paper punching, youth training, and killing.

Doesn't take much $. Have a couple Americans. Groups are within a 1/2"-7/8" range at 50 yds for 5 SV. I use a Waltz die to make HPs out of SV because they seem a bit more accurate than factory CCI sub-HPs. This range is plenty good enough for rats and pigeons. These two rifles get bounced around inside a side by side, or might bump or get dropped in barns at night. Synthetic stocks and $400 price tags make sense. One is for rats, wears a thermal, and eats CCI Quiet segmented HPs. Other is for pigeons, wears a 10x MQ.

Also have a couple 64 Ans sporters. They're more in the 3/8"-3/4" range at 50 for 5 CCI SV. One kills crows inside the ranged backyard. Has a SWFA and 110 yds is the long so far.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
I had one, really liked it but it was too nice for me to use. The wood and finish on it was beautiful. I shot it very little, enough to show it was a shooter though. Mine was the magazine fed version.
The value on these skyrocketed and I sold it a few years ago. Kind of regretted it now.

I’ve never seen a gun of any kind that’s too nice for me to use.

Weatherby Mk XXII was one of those grail guns when I was a kid, but not my thing now. A girlfriend’s father had one. He had half a dozen guns, all sporterized SMLE’s (he was Canadian) except that one Weatherby.22.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You make a lot of sense.

Earlier this year I converted my CZ MTR to a sporter configuration so I could actually carry it around and maybe even hunt with it. It’s still a bit heavy, even with a tiny 6x Burris scope, but handles well, and shooting it offhand is a pleasure, not a test of strength and endurance. I got bored and a little frustrated with shooting groups with mid-grade ammo and its inevitable flyers, so mostly now I shoot offhand at reactive targets and also from the seated position I usually shoot from while hunting; not the classic sitting, but mostly from a chair or stool, like sitting on a log or rock as often is the case afield. I also use a stick of some sort at times. Gotta work out a method with my new trekking poles, which I’m finding very helpful in keeping Grandpa out and about and upright.

There are a lot of great older rifles out there to be had, but anyone who’s spent much time here knows that getting and keeping them running can be challenging at times as parts and especially magazines can be elusive, so it’s not a bad idea to have something more current on hand as a practical matter.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Pappy348. Give these a look for your trekking poles

https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/quick-stix

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah. that....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.