Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There's a sign in one my local gun stores that says:

"The gun you thought about buying yesterday is the one someone else bought today."

There's a lot of truth to that.

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

"The gun you thought about buying yesterday is the one someone else bought today."

OUCH! JUST BUY IT!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

OUCH! JUST BUY IT!

A local shooter has been "....researching" a specific gun he wants to buy and asked my help in finding it. Over the past year, I've steered him to three (3) very, very good rifles that were exactly what he supposedly wants.

They've all been sold.

He's still ".....researching."

Not surprisingly, it's a Winchester. wink

Forbidden Zoner
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sometimes sh*t happens. Last Friday, my dentist told me I have a little problem to the tune of $7229. I'm going to take advantage of my situation and do more "researching" on Pre-War, and Transition 375 Magnums. I will have one....."still researching" will not be on my tombstone!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good man! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I stated earlier I wasn't going to be a Model 70 collector. If I find a 375 magnum that I like I thought that would satisfy me, but after a bit of looking, the Pre War 30'06 that takes stripper clips looks just too cool to pass up. I can see a rabbit hole opening up if I'm not careful. Maybe just one more.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cleanbore
I stated earlier I wasn't going to be a Model 70 collector. If I find a 375 magnum that I like I thought that would satisfy me, but after a bit of looking, the Pre War 30'06 that takes stripper clips looks just too cool to pass up. I can see a rabbit hole opening up if I'm not careful. Maybe just one more.

A rabbit hole will open up for sure. Especially if you have it in your mind that you want to find and buy a certain model. Within the last few months, there was a lot of talk about the 270's, so my interest was peaked. I was out and about doing my thing and ran across 2 rifles for damn good deals that I could not pass up. Not original condition collectors editions, but very good shooters. The one that I find pretty hard to find is the 270 featherweight, and that was one that I had found a couple weeks ago. At around 7 bones with a Leupold on top, there is no way I could have said no!!! The red pachmayr recoil pad should be here today, so I can get that rifle back to shooting condition. Been running across some great deals on old primed 270 win brass too. 60's and 70's W-W SUPER brass, talk about "going down a rabbit hole"!!!

However, your thread is about H&H magnums. I know where 2 magnums are, and they are at the same shop. 1 a 300WBY that was rechambered from H&H, and a mid 50's 375 H&H. The 300WBY has a Burris scope on top, and I can buy it for $1,000.00, and the 375H&H for $2,000.00. The 375 has been used hard. Probably in the 80% condition range.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
the 375H&H for $2,000.00. The 375 has been used hard. Probably in the 80% condition range.

That isn’t a terrible price at all for that rifle in nearly any usable condition…but if it is at 80% condition, I think our definition of ‘used hard’ differs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
the 375H&H for $2,000.00. The 375 has been used hard. Probably in the 80% condition range.

That isn’t a terrible price at all for that rifle in nearly any usable condition…but if it is at 80% condition, I think our definition of ‘used hard’ differs.

It sure does. All of mine are pristine, except for the recent 270fwt buy. I use them, but do not abuse them. An 80% rifle is well used to me.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
What I would be concerned with is originality, and when it's described as used hard, barrel condition would be suspect. When a rifle looks pristine, somebody is very likely taken good care of the barrel and storage conditions. Used hard could also mean it'd been hunted with often and taken care of afterwards. I haven't been after a M70 375 Mag for very long so I'm not very well versed in how this caliber gets used. It's not a deer rifle, so I'm guessing it can be found with light use easier than some. Possibly taken to Alaska once then stored.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by lundtroller
To the OP... read, study, understand what your interest and goals are, and finally get what you want for your needs.

Everything comes at a cost, even more significant when demand exceeds supply. Common sense applies at some level which is sometimes forgotten. For me, "museum pieces," rarer the better, appear to be the best monetary investments but require the greatest amount of initial "monetary investment", care, discipline, and protection. Satisfaction??? That is a tough one and a very personal thing. Once again does your satisfaction come from the simple beauty, practicality, and design of the "tool," or is it the art form that moves you. Maybe satisfaction comes from a return on your initial investment? Only you can decide!!!

For most of us it is probably a little bit of all of these. I speak for myself saying that I value the "hunt" as much as the "kill" any more when it comes to finding and acquiring them AND I generally enjoy a M70 more if I can use it in the field. The investment part is less important to me now mostly because I have found that selling "specimens" can be difficult even if I don't use them!!! Maybe better to not have "collectibles" in the first place for me? I do know that I very much enjoy helping others find what they are looking for.

Finally, mortality is finite and last time I checked, it my understanding is that we can't take M70s with us to the other side! Memories of experiences and feelings... maybe?

Great post^^

Well said, “Satisfaction??? That is a tough one a very personal thing…”
My addiction started with a nice shooter .270 standard because it happened to be born the same year I was, that was 25 years ago and as many pre 64’s have come and gone

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I agree... what makes you satisfied is going to be a personal thing. After you have collected something, and it doesn't have to be guns, you know what makes you happy, and what doesn't.
The cost also plays a good part in my satisfaction. The Pre-64 Model 70 is a quality production rifle, but I've noticed prices that are reflecting a work of art on some websites. Maybe they get it?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Over the last 50 years I've owned many pre'64 M/70's, only two were magnums. The first was a .300 H & H that I bought in the late 1970's for $400.00 OTD, never shot it except a few shots to check function. The next was a.338 Winchester Magnum which for many years was my elk rifle. The .338 was without question the most accurate M/70 that I've ever owned. It would put 275 gr. Speer bullet/IMR 4350 handloads into tight 3 shot cloverleaf groups @ 100 yds.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
There are many different ideas behind collecting, but who is paying 16k for a pre64 M70? I'm not saying anyone is, but I see that as an asking price. Are they getting that from the guy that wants to brag about how much he paid? I'm more the guy who would like to brag on how little I paid.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No different than rare cars; just cheaper for the most part.

Those 16 K guns are incredibly rare birds. And if they are correct, and in good condition …

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Rare doesn't always mean desirable, but those must be if they are pulling that money.

Reminds me of the late 60's Mopar with the Mod Top, or the Studebaker Lark wagon with the factory camper attachment, when you say rare cars.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Beauty (and value!) is in the eye of the beholder. I think that applies here... take for example the serial # 1 and 2 M70s (30-06) that are being offered up at ~2 mil $ for the set!!! Are they worth that??? Who knows. Not to me. Are they "special"? Yes! Will they ever be mine? No! Would I mind owning them? Duh!

Decide what your expendable $$$ is, what your interests are, make a list, prioritize, educate yourself so you don't pay more than you should (originality) and lay in wait, ready to strike when the "right" specimen saunters by!!! That is your safest path. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger quicker than you might like BUT that might become your greatest purchase and a longstanding source of adrenaline!!!

There is more to some of these various recommendations than what is visible in "print."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What I would be concerned with is originality, and when it's described as used hard, barrel condition would be suspect. When a rifle looks pristine, somebody is very likely taken good care of the barrel and storage conditions. Used hard could also mean it'd been hunted with often and taken care of afterwards. I haven't been after a M70 375 Mag for very long so I'm not very well versed in how this caliber gets used. It's not a deer rifle, so I'm guessing it can be found with light use easier than some. Possibly taken to Alaska once then stored.
Written in the clouds.

“Winchester Model 70 pre 64 in 375 H&H mag the rifle is 99.9 precent blueing and the wood original also included is the original box of shells and manual. Bought to go to Alaska but never made it.”

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988385949

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Obviously not Pre-war or Transitional but there is a nice "specimen" that should at least make your pupils dilate a little bit and get your heart rate up 10 or 20 bpm... if, that is, if you are "M70 alive!"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Written in the clouds.

“Winchester Model 70 pre 64 in 375 H&H mag the rifle is 99.9 precent blueing and the wood original also included is the original box of shells and manual. Bought to go to Alaska but never made it.”

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988385949

That's a sweet rifle AK. However, a real toss up for me. If one was to truly collect one, and not use it, a pre war or transition may be a better choice. If one were buying just to use in Africa or AK, you'd probably be better off with one like I saw the other day for $1,995.99 (basically $2,000.00). It was all original, but "used hard and put away wet".. Truth be told, I could probably get it for much less. The one in your link is a beauty, but if you screwed up and busted the stock, you might as well buy the one I saw for 1/2 the price. Just sayin..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (160user, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,560
Posts18,510,616
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.