Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Hi guys just wanted to give an update that I ended up ordering the RCBS rock chucker kit. Thanks to all who responded, I really appreciated the feedback

regards,
Northerner

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hekin237
I would like to reload rifle and handgun. Trying to understand the pros and cons of single stage vs. progressive stage vs. Turret presses. My friend used to be a big hand gun loader. He always ranted and raved about Dillon stuff...

What is a good press that does both rilfe and handgun and won't brake the bank?

A single stage press like a Rock Chucker will load just about any rifle and pistol ammo short of 50 BMG. They are great for loading several different rounds in reasonable quantities.
Progressives are for when you want to load several hundred rounds of the same thing. You can change calibers on a progressive press but it takes quite a bit more time than on a single stage and can cost far more. A caliber change for my Dillon 650 usually ends up costing close to $200 for a new head, dies and all the goodies needed. On a single stage you just need the dies and shellholder for about $30.
Unless you only shoot one caliber and a lot of it I think you are far better served by having the much more versatile single stage press.
Your freind is quite correct though about Dillon Progressives being the way to go. They are the only Progressive presses I would buy....................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I would like to reload rifle and handgun. Trying to understand the pros and cons of single stage vs. progressive stage vs. Turret presses. My friend used to be a big hand gun loader. He always ranted and raved about Dillon stuff...

A single stage press like a Rock Chucker will load just about any rifle and pistol ammo short of 50 BMG. They are great for loading several different rounds in reasonable quantities.
Progressives are for when you want to load several hundred rounds of the same thing. You can change calibers on a progressive press but it takes quite a bit more time than on a single stage and can cost far more. A caliber change for my Dillon 650 usually ends up costing close to $200 for a new head, dies and all the goodies needed. On a single stage you just need the dies and shellholder for about $30.
Unless you only shoot one caliber and a lot of it I think you are far better served by having the much more versatile single stage press.
Your freind is quite correct though about Dillon Progressives being the way to go. They are the only Progressive presses I would buy....................................DJ

Thanks you. That is good info. How does a Turret press fit in the mix?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I started with the RCBS Turret press. What it saves you is the constant changing out of your dies. Each turret head will hold 6 dies. So for me, loading only rifles, I can have 3 calibers on each head. That being said as much as I like my RCBS if I did it again I would probably go with the Redding Turret. . .I think it is the "mother of all presses" others opinions may vary.

Long

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Could I do 3-4 rilfe set ups and 2 hand gun set ups? That is all I would ever need...

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have both the RCBS turret and Redding T7 turret press and I would agree that the redding is indeed the "mother of all presses.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SST
I just swipe my finger across the top of the Imperial Sizing Die Wax in the tin and apply with the fingers. A extremely small amount is all it takes. I quit using lube pads years ago.

Might work for some but I load so much that I don't have the time to apply to each case with my fingers.
I can't imagine it being faster than to toss 8 or so cases on the pad at a time give em a quick roll and there ready to go.

Dogzapper

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I know it works for some but I personally could never go to a progressive press. I like to size then tumble and look over each case and trim and Chamfer and Deburr the inside and outside of the neck, clean the primer pocket and then prime. I don't see how a progressive would allow that.
I love how my set-up works with my turret press and chargemaster combo powder dispenser scale. I do alot of custom loading for guys and might be working on a couple different rounds at once.

I can be developing a load for say a 30-06 and 7mm-08. Charge 3 30-06's and 3 7mm-08 take over to the turret press turn to 30-06 seater seat them turn to 7mm-08 and seat them. Take up-stairs and shoot. No need to change or adjust stuff around like dies or powder dumps.

The only way I could really go to a progressive and the reason alot do is if I really got into mass pistol reloading. The only one I do now is 44mag and it is plenty fast for me.

Dogzapper

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 77 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.