Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bought a nice example off GB, with really nice wood, and it arrived with a .22-250 TC custom shop barrel.

As near as I can tell, the front trigger is the only one that does anything on the action. The rear trigger does nothing, does not work as a set trigger, nor will it fire the gun by itself. I notice there is a setscrew on the rear trigger, which is screwed out by a substantial margin. I'm wondering if someone backed this screw out, to disable the set trigger?

TIA for any guidance.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/19/23.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tex N Cal,

Don’t know as I can qualify as a guru, but I’ve got a pair of TCR83s and an adventurous/experimenting nature. Wouldn’t hurt none to crank in that adjustment screw some, and see what comes of it.

Got both of mine adjusted to break at 12 ounces on my RCBS trigger scale.

California is a great State to be FROM.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Tex N Cal,

Don’t know as I can qualify as a guru, but I’ve got a pair of TCR83s and an adventurous/experimenting nature. Wouldn’t hurt none to crank in that adjustment screw some, and see what comes of it.

Got both of mine adjusted to break at 12 ounces on my RCBS trigger scale.

Thanks - is the rear trigger the set trigger, or the front?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the TCR83, the front trigger always fires the rifle. The unset weight on both of my rifles is around 6 pounds. That’s about what you should expect with yours. The rear trigger sets the front trigger and is adjustable from nothing up to a maximum which I can’t say right now, as I’m traveling and without access to my manual. You should be able to look it up online, if you really need to know.

Thinking about this some more, my recollection is that turning the trigger adjustment screw in increases the pull weight. So, the previous owner may have turned it out excessively, reducing the weight till it would no longer hold a set, and thereby disabling it.

One more neat thing about the TCR83 is that, with the cockamamie safety engaged, you can repeatedly set and dry fire without dropping the hammer and risking the firing pin. Replacement parts are very scarce, which is one reason I have two rifles. Though it still functions acceptably, the hinge pin placement on the frame of the second rifle is slightly out of spec, increasing headspace a wee bit with any barrel installed on that frame.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I tried adjusting that small screw, and it did not make the set trigger work. So...I'm scratching my head. I'll see if I can find a manual online.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve not been inside that system, yet. So, I don’t actually know precisely how it’s set up. But, it seems to me possible that, by turning out the screw excessively, something became disengaged which needs to be re-engaged before the screw can do its work again.

If you’re able to get it running again, please publish your solution here. Inquiring minds want to know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Online TCR83 manual:

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/thompsoncenter_tcr_deluxe.pdf

The manual does not appear to offer any useful advice concerning your particular malfunction.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Online TCR83 manual:

The manual does not appear to offer any useful advice concerning your particular malfunction.

I'll try removing the barrel & forend tonight, then adjusting the set trigger. Thanks!

If that doesn't fix it, I'll either return it, or take the buttstock off and see what's wrong with the triggers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'll try removing the barrel & forend … take the buttstock off and see what's wrong with the triggers.
With the barrel removed, an interesting looking screw becomes visible inside the action at the bottom, which appears to hold the trigger guard in place. A tiny set screw prevents it from unintended rotation. I expect this is the route to expose whatever your issue might be.

If you elect to remove the trigger guard, please post photos here.

When attempting to get the rear trigger to set, don’t be shy. Pull that sucker hard and as far as it will go. It ain’t delicate.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Using the manual I followed the instructions on adjusting the set trigger, and it started working...sort of. It takes a really hard pull to set the rear trigger - like say about 20-25 lbs. Then the front trigger releases at a decent pull weight. I put a couple drops of oil on the rear trigger, and let the oil run into the action, while exercising the triggers. If that doesn't fix it, then I'll probably keep digging, to see what is making the rear trigger so hard to pull.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
… I'll probably keep digging, to see what is making the rear trigger so hard to pull.
Don’t fret about the heavy pull to set the trigger. Both of mine are real finger sprainers - too heavy to measure. Just the way it is.

Focus instead on adjusting the set to get the exact let off you want. Sounds to me like you’re in business, now.

All of my 83s are very hard pull to set , then the front trigger is about 2 lb , I think all 83 are that way !!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunter2405
All of my 83s are very hard pull to set , then the front trigger is about 2 lb , I think all 83 are that way !!
I had adjusted the front triggers on both my TCR83s to 12 ounces for a time. But, have since doubled them to 1-1/2 pounds, matching the Jard trigger on my Ruger No.1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunter2405
I had adjusted the front triggers on both my TCR83s to 12 ounces for a time. But, have since doubled them to 1-1/2 pounds, matching the Jard trigger on my Ruger No.1.
Now that the No.1 has been sold (it never did fit me right), the front triggers of my TCR83s are at 12 ounces.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
when you cough does it go off?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by texken
Nope, not even when it’s dropped from about a foot onto its butt pad. Gotta always be conscious of trigger discipline, though. The unset trigger pull of 6 pounds is best for the quick, unanticipated shot. While the 3/4 pound set trigger feature is for when there’s time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by texken
Nope, not even when it’s dropped from about a foot onto its butt pad. Gotta always be conscious of trigger discipline, though. The unset trigger pull of 6 pounds is best for the quick, unanticipated shot. While the 3/4 pound set trigger feature is for when there’s time.
Like!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
OSU, did yoy find all the barrels you need?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I might still look for a 222 Rem & a 7-08. Not in a real hurry.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I might still look for a 222 Rem & a 7-08. Not in a real hurry.

I might know where to find them along with 2 rifles . Only problem is every time I have stepped foot in that shop I buy a rifle or shotgun so I try to resist going there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 3,195 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.