Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Damn that sucks but I feel your pain. My sons and I lost our lease year before last and haven’t been able to find another one. Good Luck to you.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Mohawk
There are some HUGE bucks in Newton County. Deer there are pressured hard year round so they are very challenging to hunt.

The guys have some great ones on camera…… at night!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Man I hate to hear things like that. If I was the property owner and I had the same people year in and year out and could trust them and not really have to worry about anything, you really can't put a price on that in my opinion. I'd stay with the same lessees and leave it at that. Hope you find a better property and a landowner with a little better morals.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Mohawk
There are some HUGE bucks in Newton County. Deer there are pressured hard year round so they are very challenging to hunt.

The guys have some great ones on camera…… at night!
Don’t they have lights in TX?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 1minute
Geeeze! That's enough to pay for a run to one of the states having more than 50% of its acreage as public holdings.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the reasons I stayed in Oregon as opposed to going back east where all of our family lives.

The difference is he doesn't have to put into a draw and hope and pray he gets to hunt each year. Everything there is over the Wally World counter, guaranteed tags.
The other difference is on a lease you hunt all season on the lease fee not just one trip. Not apples to apples.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry about your lease Hanco. In places were leasing is way it is , thats the way it goes. I have hunted all my adult life in places were leases were the norm so I know the feeling when you get that call.

Currently we lease 4000 acres from a timber company in AL. 10 guys $3000 per guy. Not everyone is up there at the same time as its 9 hrs away from where we all live. I enjoy being up there for about 4 weeks or more a year and to me its well worth it. Its a good deer lease. Some hogs are moving in and the guys are all shooting them on sight.

When I hunted in FLA we were constantly getting developed out or moved around on a ranch. Moving around on a ranch wasn't bad as we were able to keep our camp in the same spot but had hunting rights to different areas. I was ok with getting a new area to hunt every three to five years. Not too much hassle but moving leases and camps both was a big task.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry to hear it Hanco.
Has happened to me several times over the years.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Sorry to hear it Hanco.
Has happened to me several times over the years.

Thank you. It happens sooner or later

Last edited by hanco; 05/16/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sucks for sure,

Had it happen about 4 years ago, after hunting a place for over 10 years.

Kids decided it was time to divide the place up and sell it.

Always knew it woukd happen though.

No hard feelings, not everyone hunts now days or interested in land. Theyd rather trade it for a house in the mountains or condo on the beach.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hate to here this Hanco. Hope the new place works out for you.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That sucks Hanco. Our lease went up over $5k last year.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Sorry to hear about your bad luck hanco. That sucks. My lease goes up 5% every year. There are no deals to be found. everything is going up in my State. Developers are buying up everything they can. They are starting to build houses that I can see from one of my stands. maybe 300 yards away. On the other side of the lease I have a house that was just built about 250 yards from another stand. Dont know how much longer I will be able to hunt on this lease.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jc189
Sorry to hear about your bad luck hanco. That sucks. My lease goes up 5% every year. There are no deals to be found. everything is going up in my State. Developers are buying up everything they can. They are starting to build houses that I can see from one of my stands. maybe 300 yards away. On the other side of the lease I have a house that was just built about 250 yards from another stand. Dont know how much longer I will be able to hunt on this lease.
Pretty much what happened to me over the last 30 years in FLA. First a college , then housing and commercial developement. Theres even a Bass Pro Shop on a part of one of my old leases. We finally packed it in on FL hunting and got a lease in Alabama. I miss the old days of being 30 minutes from our lease. But do to technology and our ages we can get away enough to really enjoy our lease 9hrs away enough to make it worth it. Much cooler and better weather for deer hunting up there as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We went through something similar but less traumatic this past season. The people whose land we had been on for years were thinking of not leasing it to us anymore so we were without a place. But right at the start of the season, they changed their mind (I assume their alternate plans fell through) so we got the lease back but had zero opportunity to do any of the pre-season prep work we would have normally done. We still put some deer in the freezer but it was stressful & disappointing before the season started & less than optimal once we finally got out there since we had removed a lot of our stuff already.

I'm fortunate to also have a childhood friend who lets me hunt on his property in Mississippi whenever I want so it's always nice having a backup plan in a nearby state since not everyone does. I let him know I appreciate it by showing up for work days throughout the year & buying stands to help develop the land as nice place for our old crew to rendezvous at during the fall & winter. It's a lot of socializing with a bit of hunting thrown in. Having to buy an out-of-state license is insignificant when the "lease" cost is $0.

Sorry to hear this happened to you because I know how bad it can make you feel.

Last edited by odonata; 05/17/23.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yep it a sign of the times & will get worse. More people ,less huntable land. Can't blame the landowner for wanting more money. Everything is going up on him too. At least he gave yall a chance to keep it 1st. We got tired of things happening to leases, bad members drama etc. & finally bought our own place. I know everyone can't do that though.
Good Luck on finding another place.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
2500.00 per gun. How many deer do you get to shoot per year for that and how much does that come to per pound of venison ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
2500.00 per gun. How many deer do you get to shoot per year for that and how much does that come to per pound of venison ?

Don't start.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane

Don't start.
It's no wonder there are so many hunters that say venison is expensive meat these days. It isn't necessarily so.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Depends on the locale. Pay to play is the nature of the beast in states with minimal public acreage.

Less than 2% of the state is public hunting ground here, and your odds of drawing a tag on most of those public tracts are about the same as getting hit by lightning while a shark is eating you.

You're either gonna own a block of land big enough to hunt, which sells for ~$10k/per acre these days, be lucky enough to have a family member with land that'll let you hunt it, or pay for a lease. Your odds of deer hunting here are slim to none otherwise.

Last edited by zcm82; 05/17/23. Reason: addition
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane

Don't start.

I haven't put pen to paper & actually calculated this out but my guess is that if I was making this decision for financial reasons based on common sense, then giving up hunting & just eating Wagyu beef every day would be the more affordable option.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.