Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by kenacp
Glad you got the lease back Hanco!

Thank you, was bummed out about it

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Our small club lost multiple properties in VA that are now public land, but the state has severely restricted the number of vehicles that can park at the properties which effectively will have less hunters there than when our club had them, just gotta get up early and grab a spot.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 1minute
Geeeze! That's enough to pay for a run to one of the states having more than 50% of its acreage as public holdings.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the reasons I stayed in Oregon as opposed to going back east where all of our family lives.

The difference is he doesn't have to put into a draw and hope and pray he gets to hunt each year. Everything there is over the Wally World counter, guaranteed tags.
Tell me, just how many eastern states have OTC elk tags? You can still get them in many western states although they won't be plentiful.
The difference is water. The states that have all that public land have it because it was never homesteaded. That's because there isn't enough water. Most of the areas suitable for farming are private. The lack of water is what makes wildlife feed short compared to the east. The land can't support all those millions of whitetails.
Mighty broad brush on that stroking. NV does not even give otc deer tags to residents.

AK is an incredible state to hunt with otc nonresident tags on a huge variety of critters. What you save on leases and trespass fees goes to pilots, boat drivers, or planes, boats, and buggies.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Glad you guys got back on the lease. Looking forward to some more dead animal pic's.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you got it worked out. Big pain moving leases. Been there.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most hunting leases don't get used one time during the season. Members are using them many times thru the seasons. On my Florida leases we were out there most weekends from October thru April. Alabama I use less due to the distance but I still get my moneys worth out of it.
So you cant compare costs to a one time trip. Just not the same thing.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Mohawk
There are some HUGE bucks in Newton County. Deer there are pressured hard year round so they are very challenging to hunt.

The guys have some great ones on camera…… at night!
Don’t they have lights in TX?
Our Cajuns do, big ones. Of course, picking a rifle is easy, .22 Mag. The variable is candle power.

Them Texicans are tough on such as that. They don’t put up with much.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My friend and I lost a lease this year as it went up $4000 dollars over what we(2 of us) had been paying. 200 acres. We've had it for many years. But can't afford it now.............I've lost some very good hunting land over the years to sales and owners dying. I do own 80 acres that I fix a season long dove field on and I also plant turkey plots that are productive. I have deer stands here and there that I can kill a deer from. Still on one lease with another friend that we've had many years that changed hands due the death of the owner a couple of years ago. So it too could become iffy. Would hate to have only mine as the only place I could hunt.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
It’s nice to have someplace to get away

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve never understood the lease to hunt mentality. I’m not disparaging it because I’ve never had to abide by it but I couldn’t do it. Hell, with the amount of the millions of acres I had to roam that was open to hunting, fishing and everything else I could NEVER stand being contained to a 1000 acres…I’d give up hunting or I’d move.

Because of the dipshit liberal department of Fish and Game in this state and the cuts they continue to force on us I have NOT bought a license here for several years.

Hunting and fishing is WHO & WHAT I am and I NEED it for my soul and my health. I can only be satisfied with millions of acres….1000 acres is my buddy’s hay farm in E Washington. We “harvest” elk under depredation permits but it is NOT hunting, it’s harvesting elk that come to tear into the hay.

Hunting, at least in the way I’m accustomed to, entails more skill and luck than shooting elk over a hay stack. I’m not complaining about the opportunity to put fresh meat in the freezer but I know that I have NOT hunted them when I shoot one that came to the haystack.

I’m 100% behind any of the legal ways to hunt and I know how geographical differences create different conditions and ways to hunt but if you are used to having vast wilderness to roam all your life being reduced to a briar patch is a serious downgrade and not something I could get used to.

Alaska or bust…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve never understood the lease to hunt mentality. I’m not disparaging it because I’ve never had to abide by it but I couldn’t do it. Hell, with the amount of the millions of acres I had to roam that was open to hunting, fishing and everything else I could NEVER stand being contained to a 1000 acres…I’d give up hunting or I’d move.

Because of the dipshit liberal department of Fish and Game in this state and the cuts they continue to force on us I have NOT bought a license here for several years.

Hunting and fishing is WHO & WHAT I am and I NEED it for my soul and my health. I can only be satisfied with millions of acres….1000 acres is my buddy’s hay farm in E Washington. We “harvest” elk under depredation permits but it is NOT hunting, it’s harvesting elk that come to tear into the hay.

Hunting, at least in the way I’m accustomed to, entails more skill and luck than shooting elk over a hay stack. I’m not complaining about the opportunity to put fresh meat in the freezer but I know that I have NOT hunted them when I shoot one that came to the haystack.

I’m 100% behind any of the legal ways to hunt and I know how geographical differences create different conditions and ways to hunt but if you are used to having vast wilderness to roam all your life being reduced to a briar patch is a serious downgrade and not something I could get used to.

Alaska or bust…

Very little public land here, mostly private ownership.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The SOB called the camp boss today. He told him he was offered 10,000 more per year to lease the 1300 acres we have. He said we could match it or get the hell off. We are paying 2500 a gun now. That place isn’t worth what we are paying now, much less 3500 a year. We have had a hand shake agreement for 20 yrs, guess we should have had a contract. I’ve got to go get all the traps, feeders, tripods, etc I have up there. The bad thing is I got my friend on, he spent money in the last two weeks for parts for me to build feeders, feeder pens, and damn corn. We finished that cshit up Saturday. I’ve got to call him, ain’t looking forward to that. Damn the bad luck!
We hunted the same ranch in Texas for over 15 years then owner called and claimed it was a drought year and he didn't want it hunted, next year another excuse then another turns out he was getting more from another group.

Ted
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by old_willys
The SOB called the camp boss today. He told him he was offered 10,000 more per year to lease the 1300 acres we have. He said we could match it or get the hell off. We are paying 2500 a gun now. That place isn’t worth what we are paying now, much less 3500 a year. We have had a hand shake agreement for 20 yrs, guess we should have had a contract. I’ve got to go get all the traps, feeders, tripods, etc I have up there. The bad thing is I got my friend on, he spent money in the last two weeks for parts for me to build feeders, feeder pens, and damn corn. We finished that cshit up Saturday. I’ve got to call him, ain’t looking forward to that. Damn the bad luck!
We hunted the same ranch in Texas for over 15 years then owner called and claimed it was a drought year and he didn't want it hunted, next year another excuse then another turns out he was getting more from another group.

Sounds about right

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
All you do on a lease is improve the landowners property & indigenous herd. You get absolutely no return for your sweat equity or money. It is only good until it isn't.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Reloder28
All you do on a lease is improve the landowners property & indigenous herd. You get absolutely no return for your sweat equity or money. It is only good until it isn't.

Exactly

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, you do get exclusive trespassing/hunting privileges as long as you hold the lease.

When the old farmer who I lease from passes I expect to lose the lease 'cause his kids don't hunt. I pay $2,400 per year for exclusive trespassing/hunting rights and do a couple of work days for the farmer doing chores like cutting/splitting wood and fixing fences.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

That’s ridiculous. You’re paying for the use of land that is otherwise off limits. The return is similar to renting a house rather than buying. In both cases you voluntarily pay for such a return.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Well, you do get exclusive trespassing/hunting privileges as long as you hold the lease.

When the old farmer who I lease from passes I expect to lose the lease 'cause his kids don't hunt. I pay $2,400 per year for exclusive trespassing/hunting rights and do a couple of work days for the farmer doing chores like cutting/splitting wood and fixing fences.

Actually, the fact that the heirs don’t hunt is in your favor. If they keep the farm, they’ll recognize the lease as a revenue stream. I’d expect them to want to maximize the farm income and your lease fee is “free money”, in a manner of speaking. Of course, they may be looking at a price increase as well. Hope it works out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Around here leasing hasn't taken over. It's not hard to get permission just by asking if you're a local and know some landowners. I have permission to hunt 5 private properties totalling 956 acres within 5 miles of home, including 126 acres right next door and 200 more directly across the road.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.