Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I'll continue beating my head against a wall until Ruger chambers it in a useful cartridge, 10mm.

Hell, I’d buy another KelTec Sub 2000 if they’d chamber it in 10mm. The early 9mm version I had worked flawlessly and was accurate too. I gave it to my nephew.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I ran across one of these today and wound up bringing it home. Switched it to Glock mags. Ordered a Vortex dot sight and three Magpul 27 round mags. I have a lot of standard mags.
Question for y’all that already have a 9mm carbine. What bullet weight works best for you?

I like these 124 Nukes from RMR

Have you shopped at Everglades Reloading in FL ?

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/pistol/9mm-355/9mm-124-gr-rmr-jhp-mpr-nuke/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tikkanut
I like these 124 Nukes from RMR

Have you shopped at Everglades Reloading in FL ?

yes I have done business with those folks. I am not currently loading 9mm though, used to in the distant past. I have 'adequate' stocks of factory stuff around the casa for now.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RMR is the best

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
about finished pimping out the PC carbine. Added a Sig dot sight, 27 round Magpul magazines and a Surefire light on an offset mount. Now to get back to the range!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Where the 9mm carbine falls short (in my opinion) is the inability to penetrate IIIA body armor. Maybe a few of the faster loads will do it, but not the common ball ammo.

It's one of those longshot circumstances, but if home invaders are wearing body armor, and more are these days, the 5.56 kind of wins in that situation.

If you're dogging the 9mm shortcomings based on whether the bad guys have armor, at least be honest with yourself because IIIA has been obsolete for at least two decades and most people have already switched over to better things. Your AR won't get through level IV either. Neither will 308 or shotguns.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by johna1
Where the 9mm carbine falls short (in my opinion) is the inability to penetrate IIIA body armor. Maybe a few of the faster loads will do it, but not the common ball ammo.

It's one of those longshot circumstances, but if home invaders are wearing body armor, and more are these days, the 5.56 kind of wins in that situation.

If you're dogging the 9mm shortcomings based on whether the bad guys have armor, at least be honest with yourself because IIIA has been obsolete for at least two decades and most people have already switched over to better things. Your AR won't get through level IV either. Neither will 308 or shotguns.

I'm not dogging 9mm. I'm a big fan actually. Just sharing a fact for anyone who might be trying to make an informed decision.

I've got several 9mm pistols and a Ruger PC9 carbine. 9mm is my daily carry. Like everything, it has capabilities, and limitations.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wanted and looked for the folding stock version long and hard but never could find one so I just built the ar9

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
These things are fun, I bought mine on a whim, my son loves shooting it. I've since put a hardpoint rail on the factory forearm and a cheap bushnell trs, but I think I like the iron sights better. Just wish you could score good 9mm for under 10 bucks a box again. You'll go through it quick.

I've thought about the new magpul pcc drums, but just dont see the reason when you can get 33rd glock mags.

Last edited by killerv; 05/03/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Finally got to feel one and was pretty disappointed, being a tried and true Ruger user.
Man that thing felt like a pig. I was expecting something more svelte.
A compact stock might help, seeings its a good platform for smaller shooters.
Maybe going AR9 or .357 lever for GF's house gun.

Last edited by Distridr; 05/17/23.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm bringing this thread back up because I wondered about this. What do you think happened when I fired one of Mackay_Sagebrush's Predator Penatrators at body armor?

I had run this test previously with the same target array but without the body armor, using Buffalo Bore hard cast (same bullet per MS, at about the same velocity per my chrono), and the round stopped after denting the second piece of 22 gauge steel.

This doesn't change my view that this is a nifty little home defense and general dinking-around gun.

I will have to try this with an Xtreme Penetrator. It looks like I can get one more shot out of the armor side panel on the undamaged half.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah it takes velocity to defeat body armor, and 1285 fps isn't even close. For IIIA, I believe you need over 1800 fps. The Underwood 68gr+P Xtreme Defender might be the best chance from a 9mm carbine.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's an example of the Underwood Xtreme Defender defeating IIIA panel from a handgun at about 1720 fps or so. It did not penetrate the IIIA Hybrid panel from a Evo at 1880fps or so.

Curious if 16" barrel would make enough difference to get through the IIIA Hybrid panel.

https://www.ar500armor.com/blog/rimelig-vs-hybrid-soft-armor-panels/

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 06/10/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't think so.

Copper is soft.

You would need something really hard and pointy.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you want a cartridge that will penetrate the heavier ballistic vests either a .223/5.56 or a 5.7x28 will do that and of course so will various larger calibers.

A 14.5 inch AR-15 w/ pinned muzzle device would be my choice for a self defense rifle that will penetrate ballistic vests since they are not expensive and there are lots of choices. Or an SBR if you want to go through that process and spend the extra money. I shoot a lot of matches with a PCC (a JP GMR-15) and like them a lot, but a PCC wouldn't be my first choice for a home defense gun.

I had one of the older Ruger PC-9's and it was reliable, but I prefer the AR-9's.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Distridr
Finally got to feel one and was pretty disappointed, being a tried and true Ruger user.
Man that thing felt like a pig. I was expecting something more svelte.
A compact stock might help, seeings its a good platform for smaller shooters.
Maybe going AR9 or .357 lever for GF's house gun.

As a long time Ruger fan, I was expecting a pig. When is the last time svelte was used to describe a Ruger of any kind? They look like they would be fun at the range for sure, like a grown up 10/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m thinking one of these might make for some cheap range fun for myself, along with the wife and kid.

I’d probably go for the adjustable stock version, so we could all 3 fit comfortably.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.