-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the nice pics, um, images. And welcome to the forum.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My son in law came over the other day wanting to know if I'd sell him one of my 35MM cameras. I gave him a Canon AE1. Told him he'd have to find other lenses on his own. He said something about 35MM film was making some kind of a come back among the college crowd as his son was getting into it. He decided to try it for himself.

I still have two Canon A1s and an AT1 and about seven or eight lenses ranging from 35MM to 800 MM. I was into it quite a bit when I lived in San Francisco and had my own dark room. I always preferred working with black & white. When I did color it was slides and I farmed the precessing out. I still have a couple of Yashicamat copies of the Rolliflex cameras and liked the results I got working with them. I always wanted to build another dark room but problems with the water (alkali as hell) here and dust kind of put all that on the back burner. I guess that a lack of finances probably had something to do with it as well. Oh well.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a big film camera outfit. I had a Minolta 35mm, and 3 lenses and a motor drive. $1,200 worth. I had a darkroom in my house.

I was taking photos for my college annual, and for the college newspaper, and for the little town newspaper. I was developing about 3 rolls of film per week. Love black and white photography.

I have gone digital and now have a nice $700 Nikon digital. My old Minolta 35mm rig sits in a box, covered with dust, and is worth about Fifty bucks today.

odonata Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks for the nice pics, um, images. And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the kind words. And since I only have 0.27% of the posts that you do, I guess that does sort of make me the new kid on the block. Glad to be here! grin

Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I had a Minolta 35mm...

My very first 35mm camera was a Minolta XE-7 that I bought in 1977 with every penny I had saved by working as a janitor at the church next to my house for $1.35 an hour. It took a long time to save the money & it hurt to pay for it. My mom was mad at me because I had "wasted" so much money on a luxury purchase. But I have nothing but fond memories of that camera. It was great even though my photos were awful.

Originally Posted by PJGunner
I gave him a Canon AE1... I still have a couple of Yashicamat copies of the Rolliflex cameras..

I gave an AE-1 to my ex's stepson last week & he's already started texting me photos he's shot with it. He seems to be enthusiastic about "discovering" B&W photography so I'm glad he's enjoying himself. I really like my 1961 Rolleiflex f/3.5 TLR F model. It has a solid feel to it although shooting with it can be a bit unnatural if you haven't done it for a while. Here's a photo of me taking a break with my Rolleiflex in Chiang Rai, Thailand.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by odonata; 05/18/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nikon FM-2... mama, dont take my Kodachrome away...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the thread and the impressive photos. For many years, particularly when our daughters were younger, we were traveling across the US a lot and I valued artistic diversion from career work, I involved myself as you are doing. The development/creation of film images was actually more fun than the on-camera composition/lighting/balancing, etc.

Other aspects of life gobbled up the time and, although larger format always had been a dream, I never got past the 35mm stage. So, there are quite a few excellent SLR + types still here - Nikon, Pentax, Leica, Mamiya Sekor, Canon, etc. and a slew of nice lenses throughout the range. A grand daughter is doing some very fine work with digital equipment but is yearning to do more with film - so she soon will take her pick of the above.

Thanks again for the educative and interesting thread.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Nikon FM-2... mama, dont take my Kodachrome away...

Nikon FE-2...and Kodachrome had an ASA of 25. Please take it away! I'm not rich enough to buy fast lenses. grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I did quite a bit of 2 1/4 square and 35mm photography back in the day, plus a good share of 4x5. Not to rain on anyone's nostalgia, but I like my APS-C DSLR a lot better. I can produce better work with it than I ever could with a Rollei.

From time to time, I organize photo expeditions for my grandkids that are interested. One of them is just about to graduate from high school, and she in particular has become quite proficient. It's a joy to watch all of them progress, and I've helped all of them with equipment.

I shoot with a Canon 90D DSLR, plus an M6 mk ii. I still have a Minolta 35 SLR, a Yashicamat 124, and a Norita 6x6 with assorted lenses. There are a lot of good memories attached to them, but they don't get used anymore.

Be not weary in well doing.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I still have my old Minolta SRT-101 and a few lenses, but I haven't used it in decades.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
...There are a lot of good memories attached to them, but they don't get used anymore.

That's because you're smart and using common sense. I think I get a bit too nostalgic sometimes & I'm willing to suffer for it. I really do like a nice B&W photo.

Having said that, my guess is that my digital photos outnumber my negatives by at least 1000:1 by now. Sharing photos instantly from a smart phone is a pretty cool modern invention that I get a lot of use out of.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think that if I were to do film photography again, I think I would just process the negatives, and spring for a high resolution negative scanner... No enlarger, full digital image processing.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
I think that if I were to do film photography again, I think I would just process the negatives, and spring for a high resolution negative scanner... No enlarger, full digital image processing.

That's what I primarily do now even though I have some enlargers. If it's a really good negative scan, I think I'd rather start paying to have a nice Giclée print made out the few I want printed than to do darkroom work.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Awesome

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Awesome

Thanks kaywoodie! I like to surf around aimlessly and live vicariously through other people's photos & stories. It's kind of neat seeing what everyone else is doing in other parts of the country. I enjoyed the S. Texas get together thread you were in earlier today. Looks like y'all had a good time!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
...I was taking pics using a Nikon F2AS...

The F2AS is a wonderful camera and one of my favorites. The F3T is my very favorite. Still have the F, F2, F3, and F6. Had the F4 briefly. Never liked or owned the huge F5.

Besides Nikon, another 35mm camera I own and admire is the Minolta CLE, a tiny rangefinder camera which takes Leica M-mount lenses. I'll post a couple photos from this.

Edit to add that postimage.com blows.

Last edited by pal; 05/18/23.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by odonata
Awesome

Thanks kaywoodie! I like to surf around aimlessly and live vicariously through other people's photos & stories. It's kind of neat seeing what everyone else is doing in other parts of the country. I enjoyed the S. Texas get together thread you were in earlier today. Looks like y'all had a good time!

Thank you! I enjoyed your photos too! I have a good friend, a fellow reenactor, who is a collodion artist. He does some awesome traditional ambrotypes. Using the original process.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you! I enjoyed your photos too! I have a good friend, a fellow reenactor, who is a collodion artist. He does some awesome traditional ambrotypes. Using the original process.

Wow! That's impressive. I've never attempted to do any kind of wet plate work before. I think part of the problem is I have too many hobbies & projects already. But it would fun to watch someone else do it. Last year I used a 3D printer to build a camera so it's always fun to do stuff that's even further out on the fringes than film photography is starting to become. Making your own negatives using chemicals & glass plates then shooting it immediately in the field definitely qualifies as out of the ordinary these days.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
Besides Nikon, another 35mm camera I own and admire is the Minolta CLE, a tiny rangefinder camera which takes Leica M-mount lenses.

I think it's a little bigger than the Minolta CLE but I lusted after a Nikon S3 for a while when they re-released a modern version back in 2000. Now they cost a mint:

When my kids were young, I used to have a Contax G2 that I absolutely loved. Now many years later I'm at a total loss as to why I ever sold it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Shot with the 1952 Zeiss Ikonta 523/2 6x9cm camera

Now that was some camera! Compact, portable, and medium format, with a good lens. I always wanted one. Many years ago, I had one in my hand in a shop in Penang Malaysia, with a price tag of $125. I had the money, but decided against it, since it was a 620 film model. Probably not one of my better decisions.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My 523/2 is a 120 model that shoots 6x9cm negatives. This was my first camera & the one I’ll never part with. I sent it off to Oregon a few years back & had it restored. It’s a cool folding medium format with a lot of sentimental value because my dad brought it back from the war:

Here’s a snapshot I took of my friend Pat one day when we were cycling to microbreweries doing a pub crawl. It helps to have a camera that collapses flat & fits in a small backpack but still produces a big negative:

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,106
Posts18,522,502
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.