Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I saw that this morning, a bit too pricey. There is another Super Grade in a box only 400 digits from the one I have. I can't imagine what it will go for, but it won't be cheap. I got $8,000.00 out of this pre-war carbine Hornet when I sold it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still like the one you gots now and lastest bestest.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Something looks amiss with the way the bullet is seated - maybe it's just an optical delusion . . .

Nothing amiss, a 40 grain VMax seated to fit in a magazine…

Ojive appears to be well inside the neck when looking at the image on a 27" monitor
Those early Hornet rifles had a min spec mag for short bullets. With the later trend of higher ogive bullets, you have to seat below the ogive.

I have a CZ and was able to lengthen the mag about .1” which helps.

I just loaded some Shock Hammer 33 gr bullets which are
shorter. That may be a good one for this rifle.

DF

I guess back then they never dreamed of having plastic tips on bullets or the profile change. Maybe they knew those plastic tips would melt?….grin.

It is kinda funny to see something that heavily modified and wonderfully done I might add that requires the bullet to be loaded that way.

In standard hornet, there is plenty of "neck" to stuff a bullet deep into the case to make whatever the mag length your working with. But I believe if it were me; I would trim the brass back so there wasn't any neck beyond the shank of the bullet (if that's the bullet I was married to). Otherwise, looks like a pit for trash/lint/dirt to pocket up and eventually end up in chamber/barrel - or am I the only one that keeps a few extra loose rounds in my pocket(s)...

Oh- and that's a heck of a beauty!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I must say it is refreshing to see such classic firearms. I have nothing against modern carbon stocks and cerakote, but looking at your taste beckons memories of reading The hunting rifle when I was a kid growing up! Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretting fhuqking funny,that a "Gunsmith" would botch the basics and it's lauded as "good",by Window Lickers. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Congrats a very very nice rifle indeed. I love the Hornet and have gone through a couple of pre 64 M70's including one carbine. I've sold off most of the M70 collection in recent years however. My current Hornet is a Kimber "S" series, it's a good shooter but doesn't compare to yours in the looks department.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Something looks amiss with the way the bullet is seated - maybe it's just an optical delusion . . .

Nothing amiss, a 40 grain VMax seated to fit in a magazine…

Ojive appears to be well inside the neck when looking at the image on a 27" monitor
Those early Hornet rifles had a min spec mag for short bullets. With the later trend of higher ogive bullets, you have to seat below the ogive.

I have a CZ and was able to lengthen the mag about .1” which helps.

I just loaded some Shock Hammer 33 gr bullets which are
shorter. That may be a good one for this rifle.

DF

I guess back then they never dreamed of having plastic tips on bullets or the profile change. Maybe they knew those plastic tips would melt?….grin.

It is kinda funny to see something that heavily modified and wonderfully done I might add that requires the bullet to be loaded that way.

The action is from an original Winchester model 70 22 Hornet. Hornets of that era were loaded with short round nosed bullets that weren’t very long. The magazine is original and the gun was made in 1947. I have 3 22 Hornets, a Winchester super grade made in 1952, a Sako L46, made in the early 50’s, and this gun which has the original magazine that is made for the short Hornet cartridge.

The VMax bullet needs to be loaded deep in the neck to allow it to function in the magazine. I also have a Sako L46 in 218 Bee and the neck is so short on the Bee that it won’t work with a VMax bullet at all unless you loaded the cartridge into the chamber manually, as it won’t fit in the magazine with a VMax bullet…

Gotta say, your taste in rifles is beyond reproach.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Man that's one slick rifle!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
that is fantastic. I have a Blackburn/Gaudy (supposedly) shorted 98 in 250 savage

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (16gage, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,617
Posts18,492,622
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.