-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This photo was taken around 1914 in Oklahoma. The woman seated was my mother's mother's mother's mother---my great great grandmother. She was born in 1873 or 74 IIRC. The young lady standing behind her was my great grandmother, born in 1899. I remember GG Grandma...she died when I was five years old. My great grandma lived until 1993 and I remember her very, very well. I can still hear her voice in my memory.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandpa, Elmer Sweebe, in his WWI uniform. The story is that he was on a ship headed to war when the fighting ended.

Here he is a bit older.

This is my grandma, his wife.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
very good work. I did one photo of dad and my to-be godfather. It did take a long time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnn
Grandfather and uncle's.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

AWESOME! How can't you just love that hey?

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of cool pictures here.

Here’s my grandfather and grandmother with my great grandma shortly before they married. So probably 1947. I don’t recall the occasion for them dressing up.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandpa with my mom and uncles in the mid 50’s. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
My grandpa with my mom and uncles in the mid 50’s. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gotta love having them on your wall hey TheLastLemming76, they put everything in perspective and make you realize how life goes by in a blink of an eye!

My father in the early 50's on a moose hunt.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Gotta love having them on your wall hey TheLastLemming76, they put everything in perspective and make you realize how life goes by in a blink of an eye!

Yeah it does. When you look back and realize how much older you are now than what they were then.

Your dad looks like he was probably having the time of his life and smart enough to take it all in and appreciate it in the moment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah it does. When you look back and realize how much older you are now than what they were then.

Your dad looks like he was probably having the time of his life and smart enough to take it all in and appreciate it in the moment.

He was an awesome man and lived life to the fullest. RIP Dad!

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Granddads

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

He sounds like he was a great dad.

A little footnote. My grandma was engaged to somebody else in ‘42 or ‘43 right before he was shipped out. He was killed in the war and my grandmother then met my grandfather in ‘45 or ‘46. I don’t recall my grandmas fiancés name anymore but it’s etched on a monument remembering the war dead in front of our City Hall. She showed me his name on the monument a few times while stopping at City Hall to pay bills. It always seemed a little bizarre that he missed out on most of his life but that I wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother along with my Pappy and his older sisters. Two years after the photo was taken my G grandfather would die of scarlet fever, leaving my Pappy, the little guy in that picture, to take over the family farm. He dropped out of school in about the 7th grade or so to take care of the farm. Because of that, he recognized the value of an education. He slaved away on the farm and sent four older sisters and his older brother, taking the picture, to college. He then married my grandmother at 22 and they had six children, one of which was my daddy. He sent all of them to college, most receiving PhD’s! I’d say he did ok. Have all his and my grandmother’s love letters from before they were married. Lived less than five miles apart an could only communicate via letter or horseback. Man oh man.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnn
Grandfather and uncle's.

AWESOME! How can't you just love that hey?

It does bring back a flood of memories of simple times, northern Wisconsin. Photo was taken before my time.

On the family farm, land they settled, way before safety nets. People survived by their wit and perseverance.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

He sounds like he was a great dad.

A little footnote. My grandma was engaged to somebody else in ‘42 or ‘43 right before he was shipped out. He was killed in the war and my grandmother then met my grandfather in ‘45 or ‘46. I don’t recall my grandmas fiancés name anymore but it’s etched on a monument remembering the war dead in front of our City Hall. She showed me his name on the monument a few times while stopping at City Hall to pay bills. It always seemed a little bizarre that he missed out on most of his life but that I wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t.

Good morning TheLastLemming76,

My Great Grandfather and Grandmother on my mother's side Immigrated to Canada from England.

My Great-Grandfather came first by ship, his plan was to get a job (he was a school teacher) then when he made enough money he would pay for the trip by ship for the family, My great Grandmother and their 8 kids to join him.

He could not find a job working as a teacher so he got a job working in a factory, he eventually made enough money and paid for the family fare, so my GGM and kids took the trip.

There were no communications in them days while traveling. When my GGM arrived at the docks she was met by someone and handed a telegram, with this massage: Your husband was killed in an accident at work. So she arrived in Canada with 8 children, no husband or income. Can't even imagine that!

My grandmother told me she got a job washing floors in a building in Montreal. While working one night she fell down some stairs and broke both wrists. She was at work the next night with broken wrists cleaning floors.

When I think of and pray for my family members that have passed, I always thank them for their difficult journeys and the hardships they faced. Because my ancestors came to Canada to give their children and generations to follow a better life, I have been the benefactor of a leisurely life full of adventures and fun, without any real hardships.

May God bless them all and I will meet them all in the afterlife.

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/25/23.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Paternal Great Grandfather Tobe Sellards sitting on his mule in Floyd County Kentucky somewhere around 1900.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 48 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.