Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Build. Tikka action, 6 creed barrel (18" in your desired profile), krg bravo.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SKane
The OP doesn't know it yet, but this rifle will soon become his favorite and the others that he couldn't bear to cut/thread will soon be red-headed stepchildren.
He might as well get one he really likes and prezactly the way he wants it. smile

Ha! Yeah probably right. In that case I'll reiterate that barrel contour is where most of these builds go wrong. Most gunsmiths don't like building on skinny barrels and some of the old school ones get worried when you hang a suppressor off any barrel at all. Stick with #1 (or Kimber profile/Rem M7/ Mt Rifle profile). Especially with a 6mm hole in the middle of the barrel, you can run 1/2x28 muzzle threads no problem.

Everything I build gets a suppressor these days, and if I'm not running a #1, I'm running a heavily fluted sporter contour or heavily fluted #2. Always with the shortest possible barrel shank. Aiming for a barrel weight around 30 ounces.

By comparison, a 20" standard Remington sporter contour barrel in 6.5 Creed weighs 40 ounces.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by taylorce1
If they aren't muzzle heavy with a suppressor, they are butt heavy without. I'll take muzzle heavy with suppressor. When I'm hunting from a blind or tree stand, I just wait until I'm in the stand or blind before attaching my suppressor.

I did the Howa Superlite in .308 Win (6.5 Creed available as well) and got my rifle down to 7 lbs 0.8 oz suppressed with a 14 oz Omega 300 and NF SHV 3-10X42 scope. My 18" M700 went 9.5 lbs with Greyboe Trekker stock and the same scope. The rifle shoots as well as I'm able to shoot it, but it has some feeding and case ejection issues I need to sort out before I can recommend the rifle. However, my rifle is muzzle heavy but not enough to be unwieldy. Without the suppressor it's pretty well balanced even with a 22 oz scope.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I know someone is going to ask. The bolt doesn't pick up the round 100% of the time from the magazine. At first I thought I was short stroking the bolt, and started paying more attention to what I was doing. I dont think there is enough spring tension to keep the magazine at the proper height under recoil.

The ejection problem is the case just dribbles out of the port. I've tried deep cleaning the bolt, it probably just needs a stronger spring. It just doesn't throw the case, it usually just falls down against my sand bag elbow rest when shooting from the bench.

That is a damn light suppressed rifle especially with that scope! Maybe the lightest I've seen. I have a few that are right around 7 lbs but all with 1" scopes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TX35W

That is a damn light suppressed rifle especially with that scope! Maybe the lightest I've seen. I have a few that are right around 7 lbs but all with 1" scopes.

I had a Athlon BTR Gen2 4-20X50 on it before, and it still weighed 7 lbs 7 oz.

If that scope hadn't quit tracking it would still be on the rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

It's going to be extremely hard to stay 8.25 lbs suppressed with a KRG chassis that weighs 3 lbs. 8 lbs and under was what I was hoping for, but I was willing to go 8.5 lbs max. I had to start with a sub 6 lbs rifle to stay around 8 lbs with NF optic and suppressor.

I'm looking at buying a Rugged AK 360 Ti, to cut my suppressor weight by half.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CA Mesa or Ridgeline FFT models in 6 CM.

Yup.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

It's going to be extremely hard to stay 8.25 lbs suppressed with a KRG chassis that weighs 3 lbs. 8 lbs and under was what I was hoping for, but I was willing to go 8.5 lbs max. I had to start with a sub 6 lbs rifle to stay around 8 lbs with NF optic and suppressor.

I'm looking at buying a Rugged AK 360 Ti, to cut my suppressor weight by half.

^Facts. Your rifle should be under 6 lbs without a scope or can mounted. 5.5 lbs (or under) is better...especially given that the OP is considering low recoil cartridges to start.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
you better go and buy a Lottery ticket or must know someone in the ATF

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hydehunter
you better go and buy a Lottery ticket or must know someone in the ATF

đź‘Ť

Last edited by ackleydave; 05/21/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seekins havak element 6cm meets your total weight criteria but it’s “barrel heavy” with a TBAC UL7. I prefer the “barrel heavy” balance in a light rifle - it shoots lights out off a bag balanced on the fore end. Also forend bottom is flat, not sure why that’s so uncommon but sure rides a bag nicely.

Sean
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 28 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.