Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Online Confused
Campfire Member
L
I'm looking into picking up a new rifle for my daughter to start hunting with. I have settled on a 6mm Rem due to having one I very much enjoy and already loading for the cartridge.

I have two options in the works that are available. One being a BNIB 80's Rem 700 ADL Matte Blued, synthetic stock, the other being a newer production Model 7 SS synthetic that are within $50 in price of each other.

Truthfully I'd love to have both and keep one for myself but likely will be just grabbing one.

I'm leaning toward the ADL from the NIB standpoint as this will be a rifle that my daughter will hopefully have for life. On the other hand the Model 7 is going to have the BDL style magazine and is stainless which offer benefits of their own.

Which way would you go and why?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First rifle I bought was 700 ADL in 6mm Rem with gorgeous wood in 6mm Rem. I wanted one for a sort of silly reason but still love it. I learned so much from that rifle. Cracked the stock replaced it, cracked that one, replaced with synthetic HS but didn't like it and now it is a BDL with wood. That is always an option - converting to BDL...at some point. Not sure how big or old your daughter is a model 7 might be easier to tote and aim for her though being synthetic it is probably less of an issue. Are the recoil pads on them comparable?

Only negatives on the model 7 might be the short barrel's louder report but being able to unload without cycling might sway me. No wrong answer as I see it. You have a wonderful dilemma- enjoy it.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/23/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LundyLundy
I'm looking into picking up a new rifle for my daughter to start hunting with. I have settled on a 6mm Rem due to having one I very much enjoy and already loading for the cartridge.

I have two options in the works that are available. One being a BNIB 80's Rem 700 ADL Matte Blued, synthetic stock, the other being a newer production Model 7 SS synthetic that are within $50 in price of each other.

Truthfully I'd love to have both and keep one for myself but likely will be just grabbing one.

I'm leaning toward the ADL from the NIB standpoint as this will be a rifle that my daughter will hopefully have for life. On the other hand the Model 7 is going to have the BDL style magazine and is stainless which offer benefits of their own.

They didn't make a synthetic stock ADL matte blued anything until the 90's.

I would lean towards the newer Model 7 SS.

L
Campfire Member
OP Online Confused
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by barm

They didn't make a synthetic stock ADL matte blued anything until the 90's.

I would lean towards the newer Model 7 SS.

Barm, that was my very first original thought as well.

After conversing with the seller, and looking at pictures I do believe it to be factory original from the late 80's. The sights, trigger, and date code all line up with that manufacture date. The only other year it could possibly be is 1961 or 2013. 1961 is too old and its not blued so thats out, 2013 the ADL was discontinued and replaced with the SPS and 6mm Rem was a "special run" caliber at that time (I believe). Also no iron sights and it would have had the newer X Mark trigger. It also has the older synthetic, non SPS style stock with the fake checkering. Unless this was a store special (Grice or similar) run later on. I would love to call Remington and ask about the serial number but they do not have "historical records" any longer.

I was able to find this 1988 Remington catalog online and it does indeed show and list "non glare matte finish" and synthetic stock ADL's

***Edit*** I also could be way off and wrong but it was what I was able to find online and using my limited knowledge of Rem 700's

****Second Edit**** The seller of the ADL just sent me another picture and it looks like we were reading the barrel stamp date codes wrong. "AT" would be March of 1999. Which also makes more sense with the "E" Serial number prefix. I think I have it dated correctly now.

Last edited by LundyLundy; 05/23/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Can't go wrong with either, would like to suggest one of the vanguard compact rifles though. 20 inch barrel, stock spacers, rem 700 mounts, sako style extractor, 3 position safety, good bottom metal, and a 2 stage trigger. Bought one for my son and that sucker will put anything inside an inch at 100 yards. It's a newer wyoming model. Great bang for the buck.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’d lean to the SS model 7.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’m thinking model 7 as well since it’s for your daughter. They are really handy. If you can locate examples of each and let her handle them that would be optimum.

Last edited by navlav8r; 05/23/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I’ve got two wood/blue model 7’s and one bdl varmit special in 6mm I love them all great little do all round and all three are shooters

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
While I prefer the 700 action over the 7 (for what are just personal preferences on action ‘feel’), that M7 seems like far more gun for the $ as configured. Be hard to pass that up for $50 difference. Just me.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
For a $50 difference, I'd also go with the M7.

Heck, for a $100 difference I'd still go for the M7. Used, they're going for stupid prices right now on Gunbroker. I own 3 M7s now; .223, .260 and .350RM and I'm on the lookout for a gently used 4th to turn into a project gun.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the limited popularity of the 6R, I'd suggest securing a good supply of brass so it doesn't become a paperweight someday.

Always wanted one, but it never happened. Had a number of .243s, and now am firmly in the 6CM camp. What one will do, so will the others, at least until you get into long bullets (factory barrels).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M7 SS

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Reason .. the 6mm and .257 Roberts are based on the 7x57 case and depending on how the gun is throated, you may not be able to reach the rifling with a short action and stay within mag length. With a 700 you can install a Wyatt's long mag box which will move you from 2.81-2.82 inches max up to 2.97 inches max. That won't work in a Seven because the additional length in a 700 comes from the back of the current mag well to the front of the trigger. That space does not exist on a Seven action. If the rifle is throated short, then either will work about the same. I do very much like the Seven actions other than mag length constraints even beyond what a short 700 has. With the Seven, you would have the option of having a 'smith set the barrel back a couple threads and rechamber with a reamer with a short throat.

Some years back I had a 6mm Remington AI reamer made. My dummy cartridge for positioning the throat was done with a Hornady VMAX, 75 grain I think, seated to 2.95" since the rifle already had a Wyatt's box from a previous project. Well, the VMAX has a shoulder fairly well forward. When I loaded ammo with more streamlined bullets, I couldn't reach anywhere near the rifling and still mag feed. Sh*t. frown Self inflicted. My gunsmith buddy still has that reamer. I've thought real hard about picking up a 700 long action donor and doing the 6mm Rem AI again but right now brass availability for 6mm Rem or .257 Roberts is a problem. I've got the tools to make it from .270 or the like but it's a lot of work to make varminting quanties .. not bad for hunting predators or deer. I decided to simplify and move down to .243 Win. I'm going backwards in 6mm .. my first was a 6x.284, then the 6mm Rem AI, and finally .243. (Maybe a 6x45 someday? :))

Anyway, I guess for your question it depends first on how the rifle is throated. If it has a short throat and allows you to kiss the lands within mag box length limits, I'd rather have the Seven. I'm just skeptical that the individual rifle is going to meet those criteria.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It depends on how you hunt. For sitting in a blind, get the M-7 because it's short. For fast offhand shots, get the 700. The few M-7s that I've owned were light in the muzzle and the sights tended to float when things needed to happen quickly.

The 18" rifles are particularly bad, especially in wooden stocks. A 20" rifle in a factory synthetic stock might be a bit better. Oddly enough, iron sights help because they put weight forward of the action.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Reason .. the 6mm and .257 Roberts are based on the 7x57 case and depending on how the gun is throated, you may not be able to reach the rifling with a short action and stay within mag length. With a 700 you can install a Wyatt's long mag box which will move you from 2.81-2.82 inches max up to 2.97 inches max. That won't work in a Seven because the additional length in a 700 comes from the back of the current mag well to the front of the trigger. That space does not exist on a Seven action. If the rifle is throated short, then either will work about the same. I do very much like the Seven actions other than mag length constraints even beyond what a short 700 has. With the Seven, you would have the option of having a 'smith set the barrel back a couple threads and rechamber with a reamer with a short throat.

Some years back I had a 6mm Remington AI reamer made. My dummy cartridge for positioning the throat was done with a Hornady VMAX, 75 grain I think, seated to 2.95" since the rifle already had a Wyatt's box from a previous project. Well, the VMAX has a shoulder fairly well forward. When I loaded ammo with more streamlined bullets, I couldn't reach anywhere near the rifling and still mag feed. Sh*t. frown Self inflicted. My gunsmith buddy still has that reamer. I've thought real hard about picking up a 700 long action donor and doing the 6mm Rem AI again but right now brass availability for 6mm Rem or .257 Roberts is a problem. I've got the tools to make it from .270 or the like but it's a lot of work to make varminting quanties .. not bad for hunting predators or deer. I decided to simplify and move down to .243 Win. I'm going backwards in 6mm .. my first was a 6x.284, then the 6mm Rem AI, and finally .243. (Maybe a 6x45 someday? :))

Anyway, I guess for your question it depends first on how the rifle is throated. If it has a short throat and allows you to kiss the lands within mag box length limits, I'd rather have the Seven. I'm just skeptical that the individual rifle is going to meet those criteria.
I cannot reach the lands in my factory 700 chambered in 6mm unless I run it as a 2 shot gun which I did for years.

Now I just seat to mag length and with 90 grain Ballistic Tips I am still shooting 1/2-3/4" groups.

I worried about something that didn't matter for far too long.

Are the 600/660 actions pretty much the same as the M7? 1 user on here has a 6mm AI on the 600/660 action. He doesn't seem to have any issues in the small action/6mm combination.

For me it would be 700. More aftermarket accessories if one chooses to play in the semi custom arena.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/24/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My favorite rifle is a Rem 700 ADL, made in 1990. Love the blind magazine and 22 inch barrel with open sights. The rifle just feels right and solid when I shoulder it.

The Rem 7 is nice, but I like the ADL better.

Last edited by bluestem; 05/24/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hands down…..I’d lick the Mod 7 ss. Light, handy, drop away mag(safety of unloading). Just generally a more desirable rifle IMO

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’d go model 7 for the stainless

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Unless something's changed, the M7 and the 700SA have the same length mag box.

You can get a Wyatt's box for the 700SA though, but not the M7, but from the factory, both should be limited to 2.8" or slightly longer. I also can't reach the lands with either my M7s or 700SAs.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Model Seven, if you don't like it sell it and buy 2 700 ADL's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,919
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.