Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by LundyLundy
Which way would you go and why?

Reason .. the 6mm and .257 Roberts are based on the 7x57 case and depending on how the gun is throated, you may not be able to reach the rifling with a short action and stay within mag length. With a 700 you can install a Wyatt's long mag box which will move you from 2.81-2.82 inches max up to 2.97 inches max. That won't work in a Seven because the additional length in a 700 comes from the back of the current mag well to the front of the trigger. That space does not exist on a Seven action. If the rifle is throated short, then either will work about the same. I do very much like the Seven actions other than mag length constraints even beyond what a short 700 has. With the Seven, you would have the option of having a 'smith set the barrel back a couple threads and rechamber with a reamer with a short throat.

Some years back I had a 6mm Remington AI reamer made. My dummy cartridge for positioning the throat was done with a Hornady VMAX, 75 grain I think, seated to 2.95" since the rifle already had a Wyatt's box from a previous project. Well, the VMAX has a shoulder fairly well forward. When I loaded ammo with more streamlined bullets, I couldn't reach anywhere near the rifling and still mag feed. Sh*t. frown Self inflicted. My gunsmith buddy still has that reamer. I've thought real hard about picking up a 700 long action donor and doing the 6mm Rem AI again but right now brass availability for 6mm Rem or .257 Roberts is a problem. I've got the tools to make it from .270 or the like but it's a lot of work to make varminting quanties .. not bad for hunting predators or deer. I decided to simplify and move down to .243 Win. I'm going backwards in 6mm .. my first was a 6x.284, then the 6mm Rem AI, and finally .243. (Maybe a 6x45 someday? :))

Anyway, I guess for your question it depends first on how the rifle is throated. If it has a short throat and allows you to kiss the lands within mag box length limits, I'd rather have the Seven. I'm just skeptical that the individual rifle is going to meet those criteria.

TOM,

My latest and probably last build is a 6 x 45. Wish I'd have built one 30 years ago. I'd own less 223s. This pass week, I was testing it with 100 grain and 105 grain bullets, over the chronograph, using a charge of 28.5 grains of W 748. MV of 2850 for the 100 grain Hornady SP and 2800 for the 105 Hornady BTHP. Primer pockets were just fine on the next reload, nice and tight and this was the brasses 8th firing. Case also sized just fine with zero resistance at the press... RCBS Small Base die set.

I'm sitting pretty on both 6mm Remington brass and also 257 Roberts, and 7 x 57. The first two are Winchester brand, from olden days, unopened bags, and the 7 x 57 is Remington from their last big run a few years ago...Sportsmans in Medford had them, on sale for cheap because they weren't moving... and for anyone reading this, NO THEY AREN'T FOR SALE!

I tend to plan ahead and buy things when available and normally on sale. its called Using Your Head...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd take the M7 if it had the 20" barrel.

I've always been uncomfortable with 18" barrels, both because of loudness (induces flinching) and too light and unsteady in the hands (hard to hit what you're aiming at, which decreases confidence in the gun, especially for kids).

I replaced the 18" barrel I had on a Rem Mohawk .243 with a takeoff 7mm-08 20" youth model 700 barrel and it was MUCH better (for me) in both respects.

That said, the M7 is a MUCH better buy!

Last edited by czech1022; 05/28/23.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 204guy, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,017
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.