-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had State Farm for years all good and well they still have all my auto and my boat but once I moved outside of a fire service area no more homeowners insurance for me they won't fund it

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I own a disaster cleanup company and work with all insurance companies. I have handled thousands of claims for 28 years. State Farm is far from my first choice. They are ok there is nothing that would make me pick them over a random company. You should be happier with farm bureau. I always recommend smaller to medium size insurance companies. They are more liberal on finding coverage which can be a big deal. I like USAA if you can get them. Horace Mann is great too. American family usually pretty good.

DO NOT use travelers. They are and have always been A holes and it permeates to their staff.

On the home owners side contrary to popular belief the insurance industry normally takes decent care of people. On the auto side that is the Wild West. They are very cutthroat there and often flat out illrational. The worst of what you hear about insurance companies is done on the auto side.

I've been a public adjuster in the State of Michigan for 43 years, I would agree with most of the above, but say it's also luck of the draw in terms of individual adjusters / claims examiners. Read your policy, it's a contract between you and your insurance company, in the event of a claim always file a proof of loss within 60 days of the date of the loss. Don't fall in love with anyone the insurance company sends out - chances are the love will not be returned.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by softailrider
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I own a disaster cleanup company and work with all insurance companies. I have handled thousands of claims for 28 years. State Farm is far from my first choice. They are ok there is nothing that would make me pick them over a random company. You should be happier with farm bureau. I always recommend smaller to medium size insurance companies. They are more liberal on finding coverage which can be a big deal. I like USAA if you can get them. Horace Mann is great too. American family usually pretty good.

DO NOT use travelers. They are and have always been A holes and it permeates to their staff.

On the home owners side contrary to popular belief the insurance industry normally takes decent care of people. On the auto side that is the Wild West. They are very cutthroat there and often flat out illrational. The worst of what you hear about insurance companies is done on the auto side.

I've been a public adjuster in the State of Michigan for 43 years, I would agree with most of the above, but say it's also luck of the draw in terms of individual adjusters / claims examiners. Read your policy, it's a contract between you and your insurance company, in the event of a claim always file a proof of loss within 60 days of the date of the loss. Don't fall in love with anyone the insurance company sends out - chances are the love will not be returned.
. Yes on the individual adjusters. Occasionally you get one that thinks they are paying from their own pocket. And others lack communication skills

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
State farm sucks! Farm Bureau of Missouri does not. Claims with both in past. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Been with State Farm about 40 years. In that time I've had two roof claims on different houses with different agents because of hail damage. First claim was in 1995 and second was about five years ago. Excellent experience both times. My only auto claim also involved hail damage in '95, also excellent result. I've never had an accident auto claim so can't speak to that. Both claims were through career agents; I think that makes a difference.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
I’ve found the agent you buy through has a lot to do with it, but that said, my only experience with the two you are limited to is with SF and the agency I bought through was easy to work with. That said, when I called them for a quote on my first home, they were 35% higher than a local independent agency who quoted me with their preferred insurer. Line by line it was the same coverage levels.

I was later told that in MI (for reasons I do not know) SF was outrageously high on homeowners policies. This was circa 2006.

Still with that independent agency two homes and about 10 cars later.

I did a short stint as a personal lines underwriter. When a line of insurance is losing substantial money, like personal homeowners' insurance in that state, the company will jack up rates so nobody will buy that line of coverage. It's a way to stay licensed with the state to sell the line, but avoid any sales of the losing line, until conditions change.

SF didn't want to insure homes in MI at that time.

They do that with car insurance, commercial lines, etc. as necessary.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Thinking of changing my homeowners insurance. I'm only interested in the 2 companies mentioned above. If you have had homeowners insurance from one or both, I'd like to know your opinion or experience with them particularly dealing with claims regarding your roof. Satisfied or not? Thanks for your response.

Neither. Farmers: Get a bid, you'll be glad you did.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Farm Bureau for over 30 years, business and personal. Exceptional service across the board.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It pays dividends to get second opinions with pictures showing evidence of damage. Adjusters that insurance companies send mostly will stand with the company. Do not give your evidence to your advisor to fax. Make him email it so the pictures show up or send it directly to insurance headquarters. I learned the hard way. We had a storm and got hail damage. State Farm sent an adjuster out and he assessed it at a couple of thousand dollars and prorated because the age of the shingles. our repairman said "you were screwed". We paid to have them repaired instead of replaced. The next storm was bigger and we got more hail damage. Same thing. My nephew's wife is an adjuster and he worked for a roofing company in a large city. He came out and climbed on the roof. Took sidewalk crayons and circled the dents. took lots of pictures. Told me what to do. My agent balked and said he didn't know how to send the stuff other than faxing it. My nephew got on the phone with me and he helped me sent the stuff to State Farm headquarters. They paid for new roofing..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why would you limit your choices to just those two?

IC B3

P
petersena
Unregistered
petersena
Unregistered
P
Choosing between Farm Bureau and State Farm for homeowners insurance can be a tough call. I've heard good things about both, but it depends on your specific needs and situation. It might be worth checking out reviews online or asking friends and family about their experiences with either company. Another option is to look into the Best homeowners insurance companies overall and see how Farm Bureau and State Farm stack up against the competition. Ultimately, it's all about finding the right fit for you, so take your time and do some research before making a decision.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by immature
Been with State Farm about 40 years. In that time I've had two roof claims on different houses with different agents because of hail damage. First claim was in 1995 and second was about five years ago. Excellent experience both times. My only auto claim also involved hail damage in '95, also excellent result. I've never had an accident auto claim so can't speak to that. Both claims were through career agents; I think that makes a difference.

My experience also....

Roof while in GA and a total from hurricane Andrew......

SF was great...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Have FB and no complaints, moved to them when a brother became the local agent.
A couple of minor claims without issue.
Brother left them and I followed him to his Independent agency.
He retired/sold out and I went back to FB.
After a month the agent called and asked if I could just send pics of the house etc

I had reason to call them a while back and in conversation I had to ask
"who is my agent? I've never met him/her."
Lady replied
"that's a good thing-no claims"
Rubbed me wrong and I think she got my point when I stated
"I could walk by him/her on the street and neither would know the other yet that person IS getting a commission from my premiums"

FB has been fairly good but has lost the personal touch IMO

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No State Farm for sure. They try to figure out how not to pay a claim. I went to Erie and couldn’t be happier!
Rick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The cost of building materials the last couple of years pushed insurance way high. Once it's up, it's going to stay up.

See, I don't quite understand that logic.

My homeowners ins has gone from $2400 a year to $6k a year with NO claims, and NO increase in coverage.

They didn't double or triple the amount of coverage I have.

No matter the cost to replace a potential loss, they are still only covering the same dollar amount.

Ponzi scheme.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My wife works at Farm Bureau in Southeast Missouri. She gets a lot of people wanting to switch from State Farm. PM me and I can get you her office contact information.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Welcome to a bot/scammer that looks to have been here for quite some time!Very informative bunch of posts you’ve had over the years. Thanks for all the great links!

Originally Posted by petersena
Choosing between Farm Bureau and State Farm for homeowners insurance can be a tough call. I've heard good things about both, but it depends on your specific needs and situation. It might be worth checking out reviews online or asking friends and family about their experiences with either company. Another option is to look into the Best homeowners insurance companies overall and see how Farm Bureau and State Farm stack up against the competition. Ultimately, it's all about finding the right fit for you, so take your time and do some research before making a decision.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The cost of building materials the last couple of years pushed insurance way high. Once it's up, it's going to stay up.

See, I don't quite understand that logic.

My homeowners ins has gone from $2400 a year to $6k a year with NO claims, and NO increase in coverage.

They didn't double or triple the amount of coverage I have.

No matter the cost to replace a potential loss, they are still only covering the same dollar amount.

Ponzi scheme.

I would guess that costs to replace is just part of the equation. The other part is the greater likelihood of risk of loss, due to fire, storms, etc. We face that situation (no claims in 40 years) with wildfires.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad was an attorney. He told me to never use Farm Bureau. He said he could make a.living suing them for claims they don't pay. And we live in an area with a small population.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
If you drink Bud Light then State Farm is the company for you.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,890
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.