Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Very cool, who's the artist? Two sons who live out of town flew in for Mother's Day so we rented a place up in Estes. Did a few hikes in RMNP using my brand-new lifetime parks pass for "seniors," LOL, a milestone. Or more like a millstone maybe.

That was actually taken with my phone! The lighting was weird and I think that it messed with the camera auto settings.

It was late afternoon and I had just completed my hike. I was thinking that elk should be up and moving in that area but hadn't seen any until I rounded a bend and there they were. The other side of the ridge has active logging.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still doing M,W,F in the gym, T, Th, Sa outside, and Sundays off. Unless there's some special trip, and I swap days around. Today will be my off day, and Sunday will be outside doing something strenuous.

I recently listened to some sports physicians and trainers talk about joint wear and back injuries. One said that he has patients that think they got back injuries from sports activities but they actually did the damage gradually with dead lifts. The other said that heavy weights and numerous sets has been the standard for building muscle but is the most damaging for joints, which seems obvious when pointed out.

It sounds like research is moving towards ways to build muscle with the least damage possible to other structures. Listening to those guys has made me reconsider some of my gym exercises. I'm not looking to build big mass, but maintain overall fitness and improve longevity.

Some suggest exercises that focus more on muscle stretch under load than just heavy weights. And getting muscles to failure quickly instead of spending hours in the gym with long rest periods.

It's interesting stuff.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/20/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Did about 20mins on the bike and arm/shoulder workout today

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's see 5/8-14 43 miles w/ 3 days bear hunting, no bears sighted despite a lot of leg and glass work- that's the way it goes sometimes

5/15- 5/21 34 miles (809 miles for the year). Still on track to hit my goal of 2023 miles, God willing smile I'm preparing for my 9th Bob Marshall Wilderness Open this coming weekend, route appears to be just over 100 miles. Our snowpack is depleting quickly so may be one of the rare years I'm not on snowshoes much. While we always deal with high water at the end of May, looks like even more than normal this year. With three major rivers to ford (one has a stock bridge, the other two- no bridges whatsoever) it's a crap shoot if we'll be able to finish. The two years I didn't finish were due to high water- fingers crossed!

I've continued lifting twice a week- same 5x5 @ 70% of 1RM routine, so far so good- hamstring hasn't squawked.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Let's see 5/8-14 43 miles w/ 3 days bear hunting, no bears sighted despite a lot of leg and glass work- that's the way it goes sometimes.

The best "workout"!

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
20mins of stairmaster then another 35mins on the treadmill rucking with 45lbs.

Back off the booze until hunting season

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Let's see 5/8-14 43 miles w/ 3 days bear hunting, no bears sighted despite a lot of leg and glass work- that's the way it goes sometimes.

The best "workout"!

Agreed- if a guy could hunt year round in the mountains, you'd be in shape year round laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did a 20 mile bike ride along the Firth of Forth, very scenic.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did a hike in the Highlands near Glencoe, really nice trails here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heading out tomorrow up the Swan Range for the Saturday morning start of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open; this will be my ninth year running I've toes the line. Creeks and rivers are swollen, so we'll see how we can get. Our route chosen route is ~ 110 miles- river crossings will be the crux, as they are most years.

See you guys next week!

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bet you have the arms of Michelle Obama.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Feel free to act like a retard in the elk forum

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

And I bet you're as buff as Barak.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you cannot spell Barack…..just use Hussein.

Burns is gonna be ticked you moved on to Jack Handle so quickly.

I predict it’s just a rebound!

And I bet you're as buff as Barak.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, whatever O'Tool.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Walked up to the Old Man of Storrr today.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did the loop at the Fairy pools today, then visited the place where Talisker is made.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yea.......I just walk some of my own property.

Did the loop at the Fairy pools today, then visited the place where Talisker is made.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hit the 400 mile mark last week, still trying to catch up on my loss, when I hurt my hip. I need more weight work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heading out tomorrow up the Swan Range for the Saturday morning start of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open; this will be my ninth year running I've toes the line. Creeks and rivers are swollen, so we'll see how we can get. Our route chosen route is ~ 110 miles- river crossings will be the crux, as they are most years.

See you guys next week!

I'm out and safe, but very sore. Well we got rained on hard day 1 which furthered swelled the already swollen streams; I got swept on one of the fords in the afternoon- wet up to my neck- not fun! We made 32 miles that day, hiking until near midnight. It rained most of that night, but thankfully quit just as we were getting up. The South Fork of the Flathead was rolling hard, but we had a stock bridge that we could take advantage of- no way to cross on foot without this bridge.

We would have needed to ford two more major rivers to complete the route, but not bridges to assist us. It pained us, but the writing was on the wall- we weren't getting across the next two rivers. We bailed at Meadow Creek in the afternoon, with another 20 miles under our belts.

Looks like we have a dry stretch of weather in the forecast, so I'm seriously contemplating going back and finishing the second half of the route.

74 miles for the week, closing in on 900 miles for the year.

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 8 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.