Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have bought online, but not off Gun Broker. I prefer to buy locally where I can handle the gun, but Gun Shows in my area sell t-shirts, and jerky. They have become really disappointing.

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Did Winchester ever D&T the rear bridge(barring a custom request) of the cloverleaf magnum receivers? Is the serial # known when magnum receivers were 1st D&T by Winchester on the rear bridge of either style receiver? I think the answers to these questions would be most helpful in determining originality, and I can't find this info on the web.

Thanks

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Type 2 H&H Magnum transition receivers (cloverleaf tang and smooth bridge) were not routinely d&t at the factory. This continued well into Type 3 (oval tang and smooth bridge) production. The Jan 1950 Winchester catalog specifically stated that the bridge of 300 and 375 H&H Magnums were NOT d&t (the change did take place sometime later in 1950). As far as S/N’s, prior to S/N 139,000 most, if not all H&H receivers were NOT d&t. Between approx S/N 139,000 and 170,000 both drilled (presumably factory) and undrilled receivers can be found mixed together.
If one is concerned about ‘originality’ and wants a H&H with a factory d&t bridge it’s best to stick with guns made in 1951 or later. Anything earlier and the buyer should know what factory holes look and feel like.
Hope this helps.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Much better reply than my poor effort.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
A big help! Thank You!

To account for the discrepancy with serial numbered receivers not assembled in an exact numerical order.... were the serial numbers assigned after the receivers were made, but before the rifle build was started? So that the rifle began it's assembly with the receiver already serialized? Is that known? That could help explain why some slightly earlier serialized magnum rifles have later features, and vise-a-versa, especially pertaining to the magnums which were made in far fewer numbers than the standard length calibers, but were still in the same serial # sequence as all calibers, making the number spread between magnum rifles off even farther.

To know that all regular production cloverleaf receivers were not D&T is very important when evaluating originality of those examples.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do you mean people are actually looking for these old clubs? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I learned my mistakes the hard way on in person guns. Luckily not too hard though. I just started off by buying one posted pictures and got peoples feedback on here. First one 61 270fw didnt cost a lot and had several issues which I learned later but I still have it because it has real potential as a shooter. second one 243 fw also had some issues but sold it for what I paid for it no harm no foul. Bought a rule book and just looked at and handled as many as I could get my hands on. Third one 243 FW I bought still had an issue I didn’t see when I bought it a hairline crack in the stock. The next 3 I bought have all been amazing 270fw, 49 30-06 std and a 54 30-06 std. I will say once you have handled quite a few the nice ones just stand out.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 160user
Do you mean people are actually looking for these old clubs? smile

I prefer those old clubs to anything new.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here is what you are looking for in an H&H Transition model for a reference:

375 Magnum SN ~80k

In contrast, here is a very original Pre-War rifle, 30-06 in this case, but still useful to compare receivers, safety, etc.:

Note the lack of holes in the rear bridge of both rifles! "Original" and getting harder and harder to find. Keep looking and be ready when you find what you want.

Sorry for the dark pictures.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lundtroller

The photos are overly dark because you chose a very light background and did not compensate the exposure for it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

375 Magnum SN ~80k

In contrast, here is a very original Pre-War rifle, 30-06 in this case, but still useful to compare receivers, safety, etc.:

Note the lack of holes in the rear bridge of both rifles! "Original" and getting harder and harder to find. Keep looking and be ready when you find what you want.

Nice transition.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C

375 Magnum SN ~80k

[

Thanks for the pictures. Both rifles look very desirable.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.