Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Former.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ouch!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are the Charters at Sitka mostly independent owner/operators that the lodges direct their guests to?

The missing Captain, Morgan Robidou has images on his Instagram site he posted last October and his comment posted with this image insinuates he'd just became the owner of this boat.

[Linked Image from media.ktoo.org]

Just curious as to how the Charters and Lodges operate out there.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mix of both. Depends on the lodge. In this case, I have read that he was an independent contractor.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Former.

You heard it was from pulling the anchor?

I have heard the breaker and whale theory.

Tough deal

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are there witnesses to what happened? Or are the rumors just speculative guesses?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best evidence would be the anchor location, and how much was in the prop. Skipper is outside setting it when he goes overboard.

Just hard to imagine wanting to set the anchor in seas like that... or did it happen long before and the weather changed?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Are there witnesses to what happened? Or are the rumors just speculative guesses?
Everyone died.
No witnesses.

We'll have to wait for an updated CG report or a salvage company report for any possible clues as to what happened.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So I got a question for you Calvin.

You operate two charter boats now, right?

If you were heading out in rough weather, would you split up or stay in visual proximity? I understand splitting up on a calm day would give better odds of finding the fish and "the bite" on a given day.

Commericial guys I know speak of "coding partners" - which I believe means fishing buddies that are in the general area you are. If SHTF, you have help nearby.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
So I got a question for you Calvin.

You operate two charter boats now, right?

If you were heading out in rough weather, would you split up or stay in visual proximity? I understand splitting up on a calm day would give better odds of finding the fish and "the bite" on a given day.

Commericial guys I know speak of "coding partners" - which I believe means fishing buddies that are in the general area you are. If SHTF, you have help nearby.

Yeah 2. We stay close when it's nasty and offshore and I definitely err on the side of caution. Sitka is a lot different than my area though. Those guys are forced to go offshore in bad weather because of the LAMP area. No fishing for halibut or lingcod in sitka sound by charters. We have a pile of islands to get behind. Force the fleet outside in bad weather and something was bound to happen eventually.

There's going to be some questions about why they waited so long to alert the CG, that's for sure. The seas were not that big though. Boats anchor in that stuff all the time and this was a commonly fished area pretty much in sight of sitka. This is the first charter mishap that resulted in loss of life on this scale that i can recall. I bet operations will start rethinking things a little bit.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Majestic Explorer hitting a rock by Brothers Island in I believe in 82 , with a Woman being killed when she was struck by a Life Raft being deployed is the last one I recall .

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Was it just the skipper and the 4 customers?

I would have thought there would be a second man aboard to help the skipper.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bluestem

I was thinking the same thing the other day but with 4 fishing I think the skipper was doing it all which would include setting and retrieving the hook. I have not heard about any other crew except the captain.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bluestem

Yes; no deckhand.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
[quote=bluestem]Was it just the skipper and the 4 customers?

I was thinking the same thing the other day but with 4 fishing I think the skipper was doing it all which would include setting and retrieving the hook. I have not heard about any other crew except the captain.
He was probably doing it all himself. I fished out of Elfin Cove for four years without a deckhand.

Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Anchoring a 30 foot boat in 6- 11 foot seas, no way...
Maybe the flame went out and the cap'n dropped the hook to keep it off the rocks.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fishing in 6-11 foot seas no way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Picture of the ill-fated vessel. Sitka Sentinel has a pay wall, which I cannot get past.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Authorities have recovered the body of the captain of a fishing charter boat that was found last month partially submerged off an island in southeast Alaska. The bodies of three of the four passengers aboard the vessel had been previously recovered.

The body of Morgan Robidou, 32, of Sitka, Alaska, was recovered Thursday, 11 days after the boat was found, Alaska State Troopers said. The agency said the body was recovered from the Low Island area but did not provide further detail.

https://spectrumnews1.com/hi/hawaii...e-with-3-dead-and-search-over-for-2-more

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep.

Interesting on this other bit, from the Sitka Sentinel:

Troopers said salvagers who were at Low Island Thursday morning to recover the outboard engines from the Awakin spotted Robidou’s body in the water. They called the Coast Guard and Troopers, and around 11 a.m. Sitka Fire Department divers recovered the body, which has been sent to the state Medical Examiner’s Office in Anchorage.

Hanson Maritime said one of the two outboard engines from the Awakin was recovered Thursday from a depth of 20 feet near the place the sunken boat was found. It was delivered to the Coast Guard, which is investigating the sinking.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.