Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wondering if anyone had a suggestion on that? Because if where it would be going, it would be staying there year round. Honestly it will probably get more use throughout the year not deer hunting, just critter watching, than it will during deer season.

I realize doing that, straps and the like need to be monitored and changed periodically, but my concern is the seat. I stopped in a big outdoor store recently to see what ladder stands were looking like these days and everything I saw had mesh seats. (last ladder stand I bought was in 1988, it consisted of a 3/4" piece of plywood at the top of a ladder).

I can see the mesh being comfortable, but I don't see it holding up to the elements, UV and chewing animals. Are they made to take the seats off with relative ease? I have an old climbing stand with a material seat that's theoretically removable, but a bit of a PIA to actually do. I haven't really looked at any farther, even online, so I don't know what the options are, but I figured I'd throw it out there and see what folks say.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I leave mine out year round. I loosen the straps in the winter after the season to make sure the tree doesn't grow into the straps. I tighten them up again prior to the next season. The mesh seats, so far, have held up very well.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I leave mine out all year most of the mesh seats will slide off by removing two bolts.Most of the stands are made In China the paint doesn’t protect them very well I always paint a new stand before I put it out one other thing look and see if there’s any place the water will lay in the tubing I drill a hole in those places I’ve had stand freeze and split

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sh*tcan the mesh seats. Get a treated 2x10 cut to span the rails and attach. Do the back of your thighs a favor and round over the top edge with a router or route/cut a bevel along that edge.

Hit the stand with a can or two of Krylon before you hang it. Factory powder coat is garbage.

If you REALLY care about it replace the shiddy hardware it will come with before hanging.

If you're putting it in a forever tree forget ratchet straps, get some chain and a turnbuckle - back off a turn or two at the end of the season or tree will grow around it and she'll be locked in eventually.

Don't see a location but I've had water get in ladder sections and not be able to run out the bottom - freeze/thaw cycle swells or splits the bottom section of ladder. Only one bad enough I decided I couldn't use it anymore.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I leave mine out and add a new ratchet strap every year or 2. one of mine has 4 on it now and the oldest one hasn't popped yet.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I leave mine out all year but don't trust the nylon straps. I always add chain and turnbuckle to attach ladder to the tree.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just cover the seat with a piece of a plastic tarp, mainly to keep the sun off. Add another layer as needed. Duct tape will work fine to keep it on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Look for one that is powder coated and then paint it yourself.

Loosen the straps
Put spikes & washers in the bottom to prevent it from sinking in.

Surface rust, tube rust from dirt are your enemys along with tree frowth.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by devnull
I leave mine out all year but don't trust the nylon straps. I always add chain and turnbuckle to attach ladder to the tree.

We double the straps.

Squirrels and bears are our enemy

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got three that range from 5 to 20 years old and they stay out all year long. They're all made by Big Game Tree Stands.

My oldest stand, about 20 yo, had a nylon seat. Three years ago the seat rotted out and I replaced it with plywood. The seat still folds up.

The next one is about 15 yo. I had to move it last year because the tree that it was in was dead with another tree leaning into it (widow maker). When we unstrapped it the straps were rotten. Before we moved it, I went to Home Depot and bought a cheap pack of ratchet straps because I figured that would be the case. That one's seat is expanded steel.

The newest one is about 5 yo. It has the most comfortable seat I've ever seen on a tree stand. It's mesh. It's seat is still as tight as it was when I put it together. I'm sure that some day it will rot off and I'll just replace it with plywood or something.

I think that the latest model is the Big Game Hunter HD 1.5 Ladder Stand.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 06/02/23.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plus 1 on the Big game 1.5. We have 7 or 8 and will be putting one more up this summer. Have replaced one seat where it split a little. All others were fine last season.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have several which i leave up all year. mine are made by a bud of mine who owns a welding shop. they are fastened to the tree using a chain and a boomer. once the season ends i just flip back the boomer and walk away. for the op, i'd replace the strap with a chain, and i'd replace the seat with a piece of treated plywood. ymmv.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I wouldn’t replace the mesh seat till you have to it’s a lot more comfortable than the plywood.Plus you might be surprised how long the mesh seat lasts. I know my Big Game hd 1.5 seat was out 10 years before I started taking it off for the summer it was getting a little rough looking but still strong.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Those Mesh seats are a lot easier to replace than you think. I had one that was over 10 years old but it had a mesh seat. I found one on Amazon in about 2 minutes that cost $20 and that stand is now back up and running

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have some that have been out for 7+ years. I change the ratchet strap every year or every other year. I check the legs for fractures. These are inexpensive stands from Wal-Mart too

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
We’ve had some mesh seat ones out for 10 yrs no problem

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by willycc
I wouldn’t replace the mesh seat till you have to it’s a lot more comfortable than the plywood.Plus you might be surprised how long the mesh seat lasts. I know my Big Game hd 1.5 seat was out 10 years before I started taking it off for the summer it was getting a little rough looking but still strong.
This , replace as needed. Why replace something because it might wear out? As long as you can to the stand well before the season opens to check it out. Years ago I bought a simple ladder with a metal mesh seat. That was a very uncomfortable stand. I got a cushion and made it comfortable. A few years ago I wanted one like it to put up. I could not find a ladder with the same seat. Everything I looked at had a mesh or a hanging cloth seat.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Millennium two man stand. Once you have hunted out of one; nothing else comes close.
As stated above, good idea to loosen straps a little during off season. My old hunt club had one that had been up at least ten years and it was safe and sturdy. The mesh seats held up.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Make sure to check them in the fall before using them... lol!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 06/11/23. Reason: add pictures

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Not cheap but worth every penny. Family Traditions! Mine are out year around and have held up extremely well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.