Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
WMR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
A few dozen pheasants in a CRP field will train a dog for that game better than the best of trainers. You can do that a few times a week. I can’t duplicate that at any price. If pup will hunt close and under control, that’s the makings of a very good dog. Experience is hard to beat. I like them to stop on whistle so I can catch up if they’re trailing a runner. Hand signals are always a plus but lots of pheasant guys get along without that.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After 50+ years of hunting with labs I have found each to be different. My current female is a great pointing upland hunter. Have had others that could not sniff out an upland bird if it were on their nose. But, we’re excellent retrievers. As for expectations it is after some age has accumulated that their personalities matured. My expectations has always been a good family dog. Wise early warning element. Good buddy and above all lots of fun. I had two Chessies of which the last was a real lunkhead. No more chessies for me. I am sure that there are great ones. But, labs for me and my family. My opinion only! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty good current story...

One of my pups was boarding for a few days recently.

He's beautiful, looks just like his dad. They're almost identical, actually.

They've been a little bit uncertain as to who's the boss when the youngster visits.

I was out cleaning the pool in the dog yard, and I heard them lite into each other. I mean, full-on. Not just a disagreement, but one of those, let's see who comes out the other end kind of altercations. Roaring and snarling. On the ground, up on two legs, on the ground, back up on two legs, teeth clacking together, neck bites, head shakes, shoulder bites, etc.

I was inside the 48" pool, and I stood up and barked "Hey!" at them.

They didn't stop, but they both gave me a sideways glance at the same instant. So I barked again, "HEY!!!"

They both stopped and went quiet, still looking at me sideways with one eye. I shouted, "Knock it off!!!"

They dropped down and walked away from each other.

First time I've EVER shouted down a dog fight. And I've shouted at a LOT of dog fights.

Kinda the same idea as what I expect out of a puppy by the time it's ready for a new home at 10 weeks. I don't expect them to know everything... but I DO expect them to LISTEN!

From there you can get a Lab to do anything!

These are the best dogs I've ever had.

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a new one coming she is 4 wks old will pick her up at 7 weeks. At 68 I figure I have a new lease on life I don't know how much a lab can give but I am really excited about the coming years. I haven't spent any money that has affected me lIke this in many a year..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 06/22/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I have a new one coming she is 4 wks old will pick her up at 7 weeks. At 68 I figure I have a new lease on life I don't know how much a lab can give but I am really excited about the coming years. I haven't spent any money that has affected me lIke this in many a year..mb

Congrats MB. The expectation and the work of a new puppy will keep you excited.

IC B2

W
WMR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Ruby’s lying on the floor by my foot. She’s healing up after being spayed this week. No workouts for the next week or so. 18 months now, she’s doing handling drills and simple blind retrieves. We’ll keep working and gradually extend the distance. After that, she’ll just need lots of hunting experience. We’ll get some ducks but preserve birds are the best I can do here for upland training.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sit is the single most important command after learning no. With sit (voice, whistle) and come (voice, whistle) you have control. Hand signals come next. A good portion of training especially when they are small puppies can be done in a hallway and during feeding time. Food is a great motivator with a healthy lab.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad to catch up to this thread.

Bob---sounds awesome
RS--stopping that with voice is impressive for sure.
WMR--sounds like a good bit of timing. We spayed Lola after one cycle, no regrets. She'd have been a great mom but my life just doesn't allow for it. I'll have to make it up to her.
Mike---I use "heel" in place of come. I don't use "come" at all. Means the same thing to them "get your ass over to me" I have found, and makes life simpler for them. I totally agree with your post. Control is the key and these commands establish it. I "discovered" control by accident with Cosmo, my first dog, who deserved a better trainer than me. After control is established, the rest of it comes pretty easy.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There have been five labs sharing parts of my seven decades on earth. Four were good bird dogs and retrievers. All were well behaved with people and great pets. My current lab has less hunting drive than any of the others but that's OK because I, too, have less drive than before. She's #2 on my favorite lab list and may hit #1 if she lives long enough. Recall and responding to voice commands reliably are absolutes with me. I was talking with a dog trainer who advocated clicker training. The idiot had no answer when I asked what she'd do if her dog was running toward traffic and she didn't have a clicker.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hahaha no kidding. I love that response

I'd be fooling you if I said this is foolproof with my dogs but I try to make life easier for them in the following way.

Their collars beep twice when I hit the tone button. If I want them to heel, and don't want to use my voice, I use a two note whistle, same note. I snap my fingers twice if that isn't appropriate, say if there are folks close around. I tap my chest twice if I want them to see an action. All of it means, to them, "Pay attention, your personal lord and savior is requiring you to heel."

Using the cadence of two makes it easier for them to understand, in my small universe of experience. No need to over complicate things.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can't speak for training a lab as a gun dog and besides training them for narcotics detection, tracking and SAR I've only ever trained one, start to finish as a Mobility assistance service Dog for a Wounded Warrior.Besides all the obvious, that dog had 11 tasks he had to perform. Judging by his ability to learn almost all by the time he was 11 weeks old, I'd say we don't expect enough from our labs...or other dogs.The first pic is him pushing a Handicap Button to open a door. He was 11 weeks old at the time and I had to lift him to reach it....Second pic is him opening a regular door when he was able to reach it himself. He took a piece of my heart with him....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's cool and damned smart gonna tie a towel to the frig door and try to teach mine to get a beer ( for me) that is. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I can't speak for training a lab as a gun dog and besides training them for narcotics detection, tracking and SAR I've only ever trained one, start to finish as a Mobility assistance service Dog for a Wounded Warrior.Besides all the obvious, that dog had 11 tasks he had to perform. Judging by his ability to learn almost all by the time he was 11 weeks old, I'd say we don't expect enough from our labs...or other dogs.The first pic is him pushing a Handicap Button to open a door. He was 11 weeks old at the time and I had to lift him to reach it....Second pic is him opening a regular door when he was able to reach it himself. He took a piece of my heart with him....

Awesome

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That's cool and damned smart gonna tie a towel to the frig door and try to teach mine to get a beer ( for me) that is. Mb

When he just started learning the process....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
WMR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Ward
There have been five labs sharing parts of my seven decades on earth. Four were good bird dogs and retrievers. All were well behaved with people and great pets. My current lab has less hunting drive than any of the others but that's OK because I, too, have less drive than before. She's #2 on my favorite lab list and may hit #1 if she lives long enough. Recall and responding to voice commands reliably are absolutes with me. I was talking with a dog trainer who advocated clicker training. The idiot had no answer when I asked what she'd do if her dog was running toward traffic and she didn't have a clicker.

As I understand it “Clicker Training “ is just a variant of reward based training, which has been extraordinarily successful in training animals to do various tasks. The clicker itself is just a training tool to mark a desired behavior. Having one in hand is not needed to get a good response in a trained dog.

Last edited by WMR; 06/26/23.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WMR
As I understand it “Clicker Training “ is just a variant of reward based training, which has been extraordinarily successful in training animals to do various tasks. The clicker itself is just a training tool to mark a desired behavior. Having one in hand is not needed to get a good response in a trained dog.

You are exactly right, the clicker simply marks a behavior, usually an increment in the behavior being taught to the dog.Once completed the clicker is no longer needed.Also FWIW if your timing is good you can mark incremental behavior with your voice.I've seen clicker trainers with schitty timing, and it doesn't help the dog at all.I've also seen it work like magic once the dog understands the clicker marks a behavior the trainer wants, but you're timing has to be good.Personally, I just use my voice.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Recall and responding to voice commands reliably are absolutes with me. I was talking with a dog trainer who advocated clicker training. The idiot had no answer when I asked what she'd do if her dog was running toward traffic and she didn't have a clicker.

I teach all dogs the command " Stop"...which is to be taken literally...whatever you are doing, wherever you are going etc. needs to stop immediately.It has saved the life of every dog I've ever owned .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
interesting

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recall and responding to voice commands reliably are absolutes with me. I was talking with a dog trainer who advocated clicker training. The idiot had no answer when I asked what she'd do if her dog was running toward traffic and she didn't have a clicker.

I teach all dogs the command " Stop"...which is to be taken literally...whatever you are doing, wherever you are going etc. needs to stop immediately.It has saved the life of every dog I've ever owned .

Sit by voice or whistle will accomplish the same.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
WMR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W

Stopping on voice, whistle or hand signal is vital to me. Pup has to stop and look or he can’t be directed to a blind retrieve. I also need to stop him if he’s far ahead trailing a pheasant so that the flush happens within gun range. I just catch up and then release him again.

I’m a stickler for obedience on or off lead. Every day, all the time. It seems that lots of guys allow this to go by the wayside once more advanced tasks are introduced. I think this often leads to sloppy overall performance.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.