Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Military Surplus Poncho Liner

Haven't seen'em available in years.

Indispensable piece of kit.

Keep one in the gear trunk for the field, and another on the bed when it's cold.

[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]

GR

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Must've found some leftover from 'nam....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Must've found some leftover from 'nam....

Both the Marine Corps and Army were still using the pattern long after that, into the new century.

GR

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Midway has had a bunch of these available, brand new and unissued. I can’t tell the one I got from what I was issued 20 years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out the Hilikon Tech (sp) swagman roll…similar but better…

Last edited by Biathlonman; 06/26/23.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Woobie!

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They are always available via eBay. Some are commercial and some are mil-spec, but they are all about the same as far as I can see. I have a Dutch mil-surp poncho liner and I like pretty well, plus a bunch of U.S. ones in Woodland Camo and a few in the newer ACU pattern.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I was issued one in 91. Never went to the field without it. I’ve got two or three of them still.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think I have an honest 8 or 9 of those floating around. Never go to the field without one. Each of the 4 kids have one. My first issued one was woodland. Then acquired a couple ACU ones. The new kids have fancy multicam ones issued to them now. I even have a American flag one and a Woobie Jacket. They are pretty hard to beat for weight to warmth and for their flexibility.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a guy that posted here a couple of years ago that was making poncho liners (and a few other items) insulated with Climashield Apex; I think he even offered them in a couple of different weights.

Apex has a really good weight to warmth ratio and as it's a continuous fiber insulation doesn't need to be quilted and lasts longer than most other syn insulation.

I have a really light Apex quilt (50 degree, weighs 12oz) that has a poncho hole built into it; I carry it on day hunts and can throw it over the top of my other layers if glassing in bitter cold weather and as an emergency bag if I have to spend an unplanned night out.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Midway just got more of the German surplus ponchos in. These things are fantastic. Heavy duty so not an ultralight poncho, but pairs damn well with a GI poncho liner.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mtwarden
There was a guy that posted here a couple of years ago that was making poncho liners (and a few other items) insulated with Climashield Apex; I think he even offered them in a couple of different weights.

Apex has a really good weight to warmth ratio and as it's a continuous fiber insulation doesn't need to be quilted and lasts longer than most other syn insulation.

I have a really light Apex quilt (50 degree, weighs 12oz) that has a poncho hole built into it; I carry it on day hunts and can throw it over the top of my other layers if glassing in bitter cold weather and as an emergency bag if I have to spend an unplanned night out.

If that is 175RLTW, I have both of those quilts. Not poncho liners, but I think they are great for unexpected nights spent out. Both of mine tag along with me frequently. Like a concealed weaon, you hope to never need it, but it sure doesn't hurt to have it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah that’s the guy- thanks smile I thought at one point he was making a military poncho liner too. Wouldn’t be much of a stretch for him to make one I wouldn’t think.

Mine is a MLD Spirit 48 quilt. He offers an optional poncho hole with the quilt. I seldom camp when you can get by with a 50 degree quilt, but the light bulb went off when I got thinking about the poncho hole and using it for glassing smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You could be right. A head hole would make it nice for glassing, and maybe more versatile in general.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Garandimal: I have a couple of them (used to have several but they seem to be able to walk away?) and use them regularly for everything from saving the paint on the VarmintMobiles hood when Colony Varmint shooting to plain old warmth when waiting for the sun to rise.
They are handy and serve me well in a multitude of uses. I think I will head on over to Midway and see if they have anymore for sale (thanks Jeffrey).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Garandimal: I have a couple of them (used to have several but they seem to be able to walk away?) and use them regularly for everything from saving the paint on the VarmintMobiles hood when Colony Varmint shooting to plain old warmth when waiting for the sun to rise.
They are handy and serve me well in a multitude of uses. I think I will head on over to Midway and see if they have anymore for sale (thanks Jeffrey).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Jeebus man Amazon has 20-30 different ones.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

They're showin' 530 in stock as of right now.

GR

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love mine. Got mine a long time ago @ Ranger school.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Jeebus man Amazon has 20-30 different ones.

Most of those are Chinese. I ordered a genuine G.I. one made by Winston-Salem Industries For the Blind from Amazon. $45

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Brought one back from RVN, still have and use it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.