Campfire Outfitter
J
Aren't there blueback trout in Idaho?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jcubed

You are likely thinking about blueback salmon, which are sockeye, or red as we call them here. They spawn only in the upper river and probably up in the snake.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Maybe for Maine...

Where is your Dolly Varden, Arctic char, cutthroat, bull trout, steelhead.....
wink

When it comes to Cutthroats, I can name off:
Bonneville
Yellowstone
West Slope
Sea Run
Greenback
Lahontan
Paiute
Rio Grande
Golden
Gila
Apache
Alvord *

And I’m missing a couple, I think.

I think it would be cool to do just a Cutthroat slam, but at least one of those may only exist as a myth/phenotype* and another would require a secret handshake and/or serious sleuthing to find. At one time I thought I had caught Greenbacks, Lahontans. Golden and Bonneville variants, but then it was discovered that Colorado was confused, and the supposed Greenbacks they had, weren’t. But a different fish actually was…

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have caught three tiger trout in PA. They are a cross between a brook and brown trout.

The color of the skin is like a brook trout, but have scales.

Pattern on sides is like a pickerel.

The one that was 14", I got mounted.

Last edited by rmb721; 10/16/23.

NRA Endowment Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Tiger trout in Wyoming too.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've caught the big four, plus lake trout and tiger trout, but theres lots of variations Ive never seen or fished for.What is a kick to me is catching brook, brown, cutthroat and rainbow all in the same stream on the same day.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It has been my understanding that Brown Trout are only native to the Eastern hemisphere. Looked online and the article I found said they were introduced to the Americas in the 1860s

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Browns and Brookies are both considered invasive in many waters. But both are among my favorite fish to catch...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have a spot for native trout. I could pass on all of the stockers. Favorite fish is Cutthroat in its native range and there are several different variants. Recently went to Idaho Wilderness and picked up a Bull Trout which was a bucket list for sure. Did a Dolly trip to Alaska but would like to go back to focus on big native Rainbows.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We caught Kokanee in the Little North Fork of the Clearwater decades ago, along with cutts.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 12/02/23. Reason: addendum

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’ve caught quite a few species here in the lower 48, including grayling. Always wanted to fish Omak for big Lahontan cutthroat while I lived in WA but never made it over there.

Never fished SW for gila either.

Favorite is native brookies out of the steep mountain creeks of N GA and NC.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe I have caught all the macro species of both trout and char in North America. I have caught several subspecies of cutts and some crosses such as cuttbows, tiger and splake, but certainly not all.

The only North American salmon that I haven’t caught is an Atlantic, and that one day will change.

As far as trout/char, off the top of my head (maybe not all with a fly) I have caught rainbows, cutthroat, browns, brook, laker, golden (I believe they are a subspecies of rainbow) grayling, bull, dolly, Arctic char and probably a few others I am forgetting about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jcubed

For you Washington guys that live up our around Port Angeles any of you ever catch any Bearslee trout out of Lake Crescent? I guess they call them bluebacks also, my ex-wife was from PA and my brother-in-law that lived there was pretty good at catching them and they could get pretty big. Only place they exist is in Lake Crescent so that might be one to put on the list.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Solitario lupo: Never caught a "Blue Trout" but I have caught some Golden trouts.
Where do the "Blue Trout" live?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dr. Robert Behnke had a ton of work on this topic. Check out his book, "Trout and Salmon of North America."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_J._Behnke

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Read the whole thread lot of expertise here. My daughter gave me a book for a Christmas gift last night. " TROUT an illustrated history" by James Prosek printed and published by Alfred A. Knopf of New York. The author is a young guy with a very extensive knowledge of all the NA trout , char and salmon. Beautifully illustrated with his watercolor paintings of each discussed, over 70 different species and subspecies. It's one of those books you never ever get tired of looking at and reading. Don't know where she bought it but I'm betting BAM. Perfect book for those among us who feel we damn near have everything.
.mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/25/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
. The author is a young guy with a very extensive knowledge of all the NA trout , char and salmon.

His first book is really good ( so are the others but different) wayward latchkey kid who gets busted then friended by the game warden. Called Joe and me. Well worth a read that started him down this road. We bought a brook trout print of his shortly after reading it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
Would like to know if anyone caught a blue trout. Very rare catch.

Do you mean the Maine Blueback trout?

Blue rainbow trout.
Sol, you know I’ve netted my share. The odds of a blue phase rainbow are something like 1 in 4 million. We had exactly one at the hatchery and it didn’t make it. The state hatcheries have few if any ever. I’d love to see more.

For subs, Salties would be a unique one. Still a few NE ME/CAN streams that have them.

I’ve golden cutties on my list still. Ocean run browns in the far north west coast. Patriot trout if you consider color phase. Bull trout I’ll scratch off my next trip to Alberta/BC. Cuttbow and ‘Loops I’ve caught outside their native waters. While I’ve caught a lot of giant hatchery tigers I’ve caught a few wildspawners. Salmon on both coasts.

Sadly, I’ve not found time to catch the much more common lake trout even during their spawning run since I’m more of a tributary angler.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Did net a few 10lbs plus a few days back. Cutbow, Donaldson, and Loops mostly.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Read the whole thread lot of expertise here. My daughter gave me a book for a Christmas gift last night. " TROUT an illustrated history" by James Prosek printed and published by Alfred A. Knopf of New York. The author is a young guy with a very extensive knowledge of all the NA trout , char and salmon. Beautifully illustrated with his watercolor paintings of each discussed, over 70 different species and subspecies. It's one of those books you never ever get tired of looking at and reading. Don't know where she bought it but I'm betting BAM. Perfect book for those among us who feel we damn near have everything.
.mb

I’ve a hard copy of some trout of America book. Might be this one. I’ll have to check in my library. It’s a fantastic reference and covers most I can think of beyond some color phases.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,425
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.