Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by jimone
Hope they don't eat him.

grin

He’ll have a great time and be carefully sequestered around while he’s there. I dunno if he’ll be in a malaria zone or need shots against rabies.

Hey, I spent three years in an African village 🙂 School holidays I worked on the vaccination team out of Agogo Presbyterian Mission Hospital, which looks to be a much bigger deal on the ‘net now than it was forty years ago.

My job was to maintain the vaccine guns and drive the medical teams around in their LandRovers. Four wheeling in Africa, pretty durn cool 😎

European medical students would stay over on short internships and I would take them on a twenty-five mile hike across the forest and plain to the Afram river (crossed by canoe) where there was an actual mud-walled thatched roof African village (not easy to find, even then, they prob’ly all have satellite TV now 🙂).

Damn, 25 miles there. 25 miles back the next day, didn’t think anything of it, can’t hardly walk around the block now.

He’s had a bunch of shots and has been taking some sort of anti-malarial stuff.

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Safe travels!!!

College buddy spent some time in Ethopia when he was 21 or 22. Peace Corps smallpox vaccination field crew.

Invaluable experience for Med school application.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope your son has a great trip & that it's a big adventure. Experiences like this can make a really big impression on young people. I'm not going to lie, but I took a few deep breaths and was more than a bit nervous when my "little girl" was working on an agricultural project during her Master's degree in Mozambique. Mainly because the communication was really spotty & on more than one occasion, I got a terse message that didn't make me feel particularly thrilled followed by what seemed to be an interminable period of radio silence before I heard from her again. She ran into challenges. But you have to let your kids live their lives & find their path. So every time she heads off the grid, I just give her my full support.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CRA 1948, thank you for that information. Hope your son stays well and learns a lot.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for your son. Hope all goes well for him.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Should be good experience. I turned 20 and 21 in Africa. I still mis my time there every day. Living in Africa gives you perspective.

Bb

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smarquez
God bless your son and other givers like him.
Ditto to this!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by cra1948
he’s flying to Charlotte, Heathrow, Nairobi. Going on a month-long medical mission to Kenya. 20 years old…I envy him…

Congrats on a well raised son

Takes a certain type character to do that type of thing

Thank you. We didn’t bring up our kids to live in fear.

Life ain't safe. Ever.
And it ends the same for everyone.
Once you accept that, risk is less risky.

Hope he has a good safe trip.
Maybe he will meet the love of his life?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Safe travels too ! He will come back a changed man!

Hate to say it, but if he comes back.

Have spend time in 3rd world country’s. Not a good place to be.

Don't gobble at me
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I knew a young gal who was graduating from Emory Medical School. She had signed up to do a one year tour in Africa, I don't recall which country.
I tried to talk her out of it, citing her risk of malaria, AIDS, and her getting kidnapped/raped etc. But she was determined to go.

She only lasted 8 months. She said the country was corrupt. She told me that at one point, her clinic got a $250K grant from the Red Cross. The next week the Vice President of the country was driving around in a new Mercedes. The next week, the President had a new Bentley. The clinic only saw a few thousand bucks of the Red Cross grant.

She said that country was hopelessly corrupt, and she gave up on them, and came back to start a medical practice in America.
However, she did not get malaria, that's the good news.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I pray he stays safe, let us know how he is doing. My boy left out for the Navy at 19. It was tough on me

Last edited by hanco; 06/05/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Makes me wonder what the hell kids are thinking. I've preached to my kids how great the US of A is and they need to thankful for what they have here.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, what a testimony he will bring back!

Well done dad, well done.
I enjoy meeting young folks like him.

A dear friend has a daughter in the Antarctica right creating a film documenting the hunting traditions of the indigenous people there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
Oakland is too "close" to Africa for my tastes.

The Africa and Africans I knew was nothing like American ghetto culture at all. Most Africans I knew had nothing but contempt for American Urban Black culture.

Wherever I went in Ghana I had an offer of a free meal and a roof over my head, no strings attached. People living in abject poverty even by Ghanaian standards would offer to share what they had.

For three years I wandered without fear, from big cities to roadless bush, including all through the coup.

Of course Africa is a big place, like 3x the size of the Lower 48, so there’s Africa and then again there’s Africa. I was in Ghana, two countries over OTOH was Nigeria……

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Seafire
Oakland is too "close" to Africa for my tastes.

The Africa and Africans I knew was nothing like American ghetto culture at all. Most Africans I knew had nothing but contempt for American Urban Black culture.

Wherever I went in Ghana I had an offer of a free meal and a roof over my head, no strings attached. People living in abject poverty even by Ghanaian standards would offer to share what they had.

For three years I wandered without fear, from big cities to roadless bush, including all through the coup.

Of course Africa is a big place, like 3x the size of the Lower 48, so there’s Africa and then again there’s Africa. I was in Ghana, two countries over OTOH was Nigeria……

In which century did that take place?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
[quote=Birdwatcher]In which century did that take place?

When you was in diapers (as an infant I mean).

No photos of your lawn posted yet.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[quote=Birdwatcher]In which century did that take place?

When you was in diapers (as an infant I mean).

No photos of your lawn posted yet.

Oh.

So it’s not applicable in any way, right?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here’s the stats as reported by Peace Corps Ghana for 2019.

https://files.peacecorps.gov/documents/Ghana_CHET_OSS.pdf

Doing the math prob’ly around 125 Volunteers in-country, no idea how many women but nowadays I’d WAG 70, a lot more now than forty years back.

92-95% saying they felt “very safe or safe” where they lived or worked. Doesn’t exactly jive with the crime stats on the exit survey wherein about half the women had been groped at some point and about one in
twenty saying they had been raped (date rape??).

We only had a handful of women and it was a close group, we all knew each other pretty well, met up regularly in Peace Corps Accra and in Lome, Togo. Never heard of that back then.

As for the other crime stats, pretty much the way it was 40 years back.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey I saw Hank Jr. play at Grant Park in 1996.

So Chicago is safe and awesome.

No worries. Everything is the same.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey I saw Hank Jr. play at Grant Park in 1996.

So Chicago is safe and awesome.

No worries. Everything is the same.

I wouldn’t wander around Chicago on a bet, then or now. It was my observation while overseas that few places were nearly as bad as an inner city in America.

Ghana is the size of Oregon, Looking at those stats I’d wander all over Ghana again in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose, Togo too. Benin? Blink and you’ll miss it. Nigeria, ya gotta be careful. To the west Cote d’Ivoire had a shooting war not too far back too.

Up north Ouagadougou was always the destination of choice (I never made it, sadly) but now radical Muslims are a thing up there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 26 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.