Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18474775 06/04/23
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
After the boot thread, now socks….

Synthetic? Merino? Alpaca?

Any brand stand out? Darn Tough and Farm to Feet both have lifetime warranty.

I ordered a pair of FtoF Damascus socks with my boot order.

Does the higher % of merino make a noticeable difference?

How does the USA kirkland (costco ) merino trail socks compare to the others?

Grip6, the belt company, has made in USA merino socks now, but sold out of most sizes..

Thanks..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
After the boot thread, now socks….

Synthetic? Merino? Alpaca?

Any brand stand out? Darn Tough and Farm to Feet both have lifetime warranty.

I ordered a pair of FtoF Damascus socks with my boot order.

Does the higher % of merino make a noticeable difference?

How does the USA kirkland (costco ) merino trail socks compare to the others?

Grip6, the belt company, has made in USA merino socks now, but sold out of most sizes..

Thanks..

The Kirkland socks are good, but they don't hold up very well.

Generally hike/hunt in 50/30/20 cushioned sole boot socks, and then add the Kirkland's as a Winter layer on top, as my boots are warm-weather.

GR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BigDave;
Morning sir, I hope all is still as well as can be in your part of Mississippi and you're well.

Again I'll start with the theory that there's a bunch of roads to Mecca and some of us will wear boots and some sandals I suppose? wink

Maybe 6 years ago I first tried the Costco Kirkland Merino wool trail socks and I now live in them. Have some on now in fact.

The newer ones have a bit lower percentage of Merino I think? I'd have to check to be sure but I do know they've gone up over that time.

I have tried some other brands too, but in heavier knitted socks, not the same weight so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

They last "okay", so maybe a bit less than a year? Again that's all I wear anymore so I'm rotating through about 20 pair constantly and have another couple dozen replacement new ones waiting.

It occurs to me that if I'm hunting with my Meindl boots, I'm not wearing them, if they're on it means a thin liner sock and a heavy knitted one.

Sample of one from a not large fellow so that's a factor perhaps in socks as well as boots? Not sure.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,

Always appreciate your posts.

All is well, summer is setting in here in MS. Hot and humid. Garden and fishing weather.

I believe you are right. The current kirklands are ~50% where as the older were ~70% merino.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I believe you are right. The current kirklands are ~50% where as the older were ~70% merino.

All mine are 72% Merino wool.

Good for the price, but they just don't hold up to hard use like a boot sock.

GR

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using various Darn Tough for the past ~18 months. Their everyday sock, light cushion, hiking, etc. versions. I like them OK, but handwashing socks is not my thing and they shrink a lot. Had to order one size up.

I've used Costco merino of various vintages but they are too thick/hot for most of my uses. I have some old Wigwam socks that I like better than my Costco socks. And some that I got from my MIL. They were probably bought at Kmart!

I'm super interested in trying alpaca socks.

Truth be told, unless I am backpacking I do just fine with cheap old athletic socks from a bulk pack. I am still trying to kill some Adidas socks that I got from Costco last year. I use those for daily wear, the gym, day hikes, etc. I've used similar for archery hunting too. They don't dry as fast as the merino socks though.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like the medium weight Dalhgren alpaca wool socks. I don’t have any real current ones so not sure if quality is the same. I wish they would quit renaming them so would know exactly what to order.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My general day to day and hiking socks are mostly Darn Tough in different weights and styles. I also have some other brands of Smart Wool and heavy Alpaca socks for cold weather stuff.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
I like the medium weight Dalhgren alpaca wool socks. I don’t have any real current ones so not sure if quality is the same. I wish they would quit renaming them so would know exactly what to order.

Same here, very good socks!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For pretty much anything hunting, hiking, everyday wear...

Hot weather: Lorpen T3 light hiker coolmax

Cooler weather: Lorpen light hiker merino wool

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Darn tough here as well, various weights and heights- just their merino ones.

I've used their lifetime warranty a couple of times when I felt they should have lasted longer, but the vast majority of them just eventually became thread bare and was too embarrassed to send in a thread bare pair of socks for a warranty laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Darn Tough for me with a smattering of Smartwool PhD. The DT over the calf heavyweight is my favorite for hunting. I really like the support on my calves for all day moving.

Point 6 is a newish brand with a lifetime guarantee as well. I bought 3 pair of their lightweight merino and wear them as dress socks.

I wear DT quarter socks UL for running. I'm trying to wear a pair out but haven't had any luck yet. For general hiking I like Smartwool PhD/Hike full cushion socks. I can wear holes in the Smartwool but it does take a few miles.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve been using the Cabelas Merino wool socks. At $19.99 for 4 pair it’s a good deal for good everyday socks. I wear merino wool socks exclusively year round and don’t even own anything else. Wool keeps my feet warm in winter and cool in summer and dry all year long. Until I switched exclusively to wool I had problems with my feet getting cold when it wasn’t even really cold outside. Once I switched the difference was stark and I never looked back. I’ll buy 3 sets of 4 pair and that’ll last me all year easily. I buy a new set every few months and rotate the older ones out. I have different specific socks for wading or very cold weather but my everyday socks work for 95% of my activities.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve been using the Cabelas Merino wool socks. At $19.99 for 4 pair it’s a good deal for good everyday socks. I wear merino wool socks exclusively year round and don’t even own anything else. Wool keeps my feet warm in winter and cool in summer and dry all year long. Until I switched exclusively to wool I had problems with my feet getting cold when it wasn’t even really cold outside. Once I switched the difference was stark and I never looked back. I’ll buy 3 sets of 4 pair and that’ll last me all year easily. I buy a new set every few months and rotate the older ones out. I have different specific socks for wading or very cold weather but my everyday socks work for 95% of my activities.

Don't know if you've checked the label but most of Cabela's "wool socks" are 65% acrylic, 15% nylon, and 20% wool. Having said that, I like them and use them all the time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There's nothing like a good sock.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked up several pair of the Smartwools that were on sale.

Seems that reviews are consistent.. good socks but aren’t as durable darn tough, farm to feet, Fox river, others..

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Darn Tough pretty much all the time in work boots, hiking, and hunting. They last the longest, have real cushion, and DT stands behind their socks. I've worn the Costco merino socks and they're okay, but don't last very long at all. Lorpen and Fox River are decent.

If you watch for, "Buy one, get one free" sales at places like Sportsman's Warehouse, that is the time to get some Darn Tough socks. I don't think I've ever paid the $25 or so, per pair, full price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've tried the Kirklands, smart wool and darn toughs and darn toughs have easily been the best.

The Kirkland ones are good for the money but not near the sock. Smart wools are nice but I don't think they hold their shape as well as darn toughs and they don't have the warranty.

They are telling the truth about that warranty too. I think I've sent in 3 or 4 pairs that were just worn out. They give you a credit to buy more with no hassle.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Kirkland and SW thin out fast for me and really aren’t even as warm as Darn Toughs. Liners help and so does knowing what to wear for shoes/boots and when to change the socks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.