-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reupold is never not funny,few things fog like a Zeiss,both my Optika 6's puked and GPO is a Goat Fhuqk Smoke Show. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stick sounds like you like the laminated 97 looks good heavy I'd guess not a bad thing IME. Great after partridge
I imagine. What do you hunt with it?

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes. Hint...............(grin)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bizzlenator
Hey there guys, as a new member and a guy trying to sift through the rubbish sell points on scopes and get to the real quality (or rubbish), I thought I would ask here who has some views or actual info on these 4 brands following;

Leupold VX3HD in any magnification but 50mm lens
Zeiss Conquest V4 any magnification but 50mm lens
Meopta Optika 6 any magnification but 50mm lens
GPO any magnification but 50mm lens (model mentioned below)

These all seem similar price here in Australia

Now it's no secret the Leupold have been a fantastic scope for many many years, but with new supposedly better scopes coming out on the market promising the world, it can be a bit daunting for a new buyer. I am just trying to learn as much as I can along the way.

The GPO have the Spectra models listed but local gun shops have the Evolve model but the GPO site does not have these listed, any real first hand experience on what the differences are? Bit hard to find any info on this at all

A lot of guys want to make sure they get the right scope for their hard earned money, this site has provided a lot of info but not much in the way of comparing these similar priced scopes together.

Cheers guys, keep up the good work

I’ve been playing with several V4’s for a couple years now. The ones that fit your criteria are the 4-16x50’s; I have two of them. I find them to be optically brilliant and mechanically they have been solid. Both mine have the same reticle; I’m forgetting the Zeiss # but if you want, I’ll figure it out. It’s nice and simple, looks like a crosshair in low light, but has ele and wind hashes (in MOA) if that’s your thing. The turret is a great design, the zero stop is positive as heck, the illumination works great from near-dark to daylight. Capped windage. I’ve got nothing bad to say about them; I plan on buying more.

I have one of the V4 4-16x44’s too and can compare them if you care. The 50mm is a better optic. The ‘44 is on my 223AI and has seen a lot of use. Dials right where it’s supposed to, every time.

I’m really sorry for the bad pic but I was just trying to show someone how the reticle looks and this was the best I could get with my phone. It does give a sense of the simple, duplex-y aspect of the thing. I’m not a fan of Christmas-tree reticles but I do appreciate windage hashes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/06/23.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What sort of shooting use do you envisage?

As in cartridge, rifle, distance etc.

Last edited by JSTUART; 06/06/23.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Welcome to the forum Bizzle. I own 2 that you mention. Do you want a 50mm objective?

The 2.5-8x36 and the 3.5-10x40 are both quality scopes with a lifetime guarantee. The clarity is not awesome but better than good for 500 or less with CDS which can be useful for extended ranges (if you know your velocity). Leopold's warranty is good and bad IMO at this point they will fix your scope and it probably wont matter how old it is.

The V4 is a really good scope as it should be it's at a different price point. It has a 30mm tube which makes a difference to my eye. The reticle is a bit fine the clarity is really good on par with upper tier optics. Last I heard their limited lifetime warranty (if something is wrong with the scope) it will be replaced with the newer version. I don't think they fix scopes anymore. Made in Japan with really good glass and heavy and that can make a difference in the balance of a firearm.

Meopta has an excellent reputation the conquest rifle scope (Meopro) they made for Zeiss is a really good hunting optic. They make a heavy scope as well.

GPO I have no idea.

The one thing I would add is watch out for higher magnification combined with smaller objective lenses. The exit pupil gets to small like 24x and 50mm is not very useful in a hunting application. 15x at 50mm is just okay 15x at 40mm is useless IMO. When the exit pupil gets down to 2mm I no longer find it useful.

I have a Trijicon illuminated rifle scope and sometimes being able to put the dot on a target is pretty nice in low light. Not so much with targets.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the fire.
Beating a dead horse but looking through the scopes is the best bet as everyone’s Eye sight is different.
I’m big fan of 2 or 2.5-10. About as good as it can get for normal hunting situations. The older I get the more I appreciate little more top end at the range.
Me personally, Don’t need anything bigger than a 3-12 as I also value the Lower power and wide field of view when I get into the thick stuff. There are scopes out there like the vx6 2-12. Meopta has 3-15.
Also look at tract optics, great following on here and review speak form them selves.
Also what other rifle and scopes do you have?
Ps put stick the village idiot on ignore and save your self a headache

Last edited by Dre; 06/08/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of the serious hunters in Alaska I know keep it simple. They also seldom shoot past 300 yards and the average shot distance for the first shot at and un wounded animal is 150-180 yards. That's for sheep, caribou, deer moose and bears.

For many years I used a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on a .338, longest shot about 350 yards on a broad side moose. For over 20 years I used a Leupold 2.5-8x36. I do not dial Leupolod scopes, I zero them and and leave them alone.

As of about 4 years ago I now have a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with illuminated reticle on my .338. It also has the Kenton Industries ballistic tape on the elevation turret. It is good to about 700 yards and has reliable adjustments, so far.

I can hit a 8" paper plate at 200 yards with open sights with out issue in decent light. So for me and the hunting I do I'm fine with out super high power scopes and fancy reticles.

The Leupold 1.5.5x20 on my wife' Big Bore Mod.94 in .356 Winchester has a German #4 reticle. My old pre-64 Featherweight 30-06 wears a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with a Boone & Crockett reticle and I only use my loads of a 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullet with the scope. When I pull the scope the Brockman's pop up peep sight shoots the 220 grain Nosler Partition. I should be able to hit our critters with that load out to 200 or more yards.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 06/08/23.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by scottishkat
Welcome to the forum Bizzle. I own 2 that you mention. Do you want a 50mm objective?

The 2.5-8x36 and the 3.5-10x40 are both quality scopes with a lifetime guarantee. The clarity is not awesome but better than good for 500 or less with CDS which can be useful for extended ranges (if you know your velocity). Leopold's warranty is good and bad IMO at this point they will fix your scope and it probably wont matter how old it is.

The V4 is a really good scope as it should be it's at a different price point. It has a 30mm tube which makes a difference to my eye. The reticle is a bit fine the clarity is really good on par with upper tier optics. Last I heard their limited lifetime warranty (if something is wrong with the scope) it will be replaced with the newer version. I don't think they fix scopes anymore. Made in Japan with really good glass and heavy and that can make a difference in the balance of a firearm.

Meopta has an excellent reputation the conquest rifle scope (Meopro) they made for Zeiss is a really good hunting optic. They make a heavy scope as well.

GPO I have no idea.

The one thing I would add is watch out for higher magnification combined with smaller objective lenses. The exit pupil gets to small like 24x and 50mm is not very useful in a hunting application. 15x at 50mm is just okay 15x at 40mm is useless IMO. When the exit pupil gets down to 2mm I no longer find it useful.

I have a Trijicon illuminated rifle scope and sometimes being able to put the dot on a target is pretty nice in low light. Not so much with targets.

Thanks for the feedback, The Zeiss, Meopta, GPO and Leupold are about the same price down here in Australia so thats why I am asking which one is the better glass etc for low light twilight hunting, quality adjustments and ones that hold zero and can return no problem. If they were all over the shop with prices it might make it easier for me to decide lol

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Welcome to the fire.
Beating a dead horse but looking through the scopes is the best bet as everyone’s Eye sight is different.
I’m big fan of 2 or 2.5-10. About as good as it can get for normal hunting situations. The older I get the more I appreciate little more top end at the range.
Me personally, Don’t need anything bigger than a 3-12 as I also value the Lower power and wide field of view when I get into the thick stuff. There are scopes out there like the vx6 2-12. Meopta has 3-15.
Also look at tract optics, great following on here and review speak form them selves.

Thanks mate, it's good to be here. I currently use a Thompson Centre .270 with a Redfield Evolution 3-9x50mm and I find it a bit foggy in misty rain where as with my cheap binos I could almost count the rain droplets coming down, where as the scope it just looks like fog.

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bizzlenator
Originally Posted by Dre
Welcome to the fire.

Thanks mate, it's good to be here. I currently use a Thompson Centre .270 with a Redfield Evolution 3-9x50mm and I find it a bit foggy in misty rain where as with my cheap binos I could almost count the rain droplets coming down, where as the scope it just looks like fog.
Ha. I shoot a TC venture in 270. Also one of my most accurate rifles. With VX2 3-9x40 CDS. While the CDS is awesome and is spot on. Few times when dialing back to 0 at 200. I’m MOA high. I guess I need to tap my turret after dialing! Lol.
Good luck in your search.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The V4 Conquests are very mechanically stable and if dialing for distance is your thing, you’ll be happy. They are also optically superb, if that’s your thing. At least that true of the (5) I have. I was shooting with two of them yesterday. One i didn’t dial (it’s a discontinued 1-4x on an AR carbine, great scope but Zeiss chickened out marketing an AR scope is my suspicion)…. the other is on my .233AI which gets a lot of use. Anyway I dialed that one for the 550 yards I was shooting and hit within a couple inches of point of aim. That’s been the rule since I’ve had these scopes- dial to your number, hit the target. They dial great.

From the wording of your OP it wasn’t completely clear to me if you ONLY wanted a 50mm objective, or if you DID NOT want a 50mm objective. I ran with the former. If that’s the case I can speak directly to the 4-16x50 V4 as I have two of them. Great scopes, I think you’d be thrilled.

I’m gonna go grab the reticle # off the box and edit this later with that info because it’s a good one.

Edit: this is what I have. I like them very much. If I were buying another scope, this is what it would be. Note the #93 reticle.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/09/23.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
The V4 Conquests are very mechanically stable and if dialing for distance is your thing, you’ll be happy. They are also optically superb, if that’s your thing. At least that true of the (5) I have. I was shooting with two of them yesterday. One i didn’t dial (it’s a discontinued 1-4x on an AR carbine, great scope but Zeiss chickened out marketing an AR scope is my suspicion)…. the other is on my .233AI which gets a lot of use. Anyway I dialed that one for the 550 yards I was shooting and hit within a couple inches of point of aim. That’s been the rule since I’ve had these scopes- dial to your number, hit the target. They dial great.

From the wording of your OP it wasn’t completely clear to me if you ONLY wanted a 50mm objective, or if you DID NOT want a 50mm objective. I ran with the former. If that’s the case I can speak directly to the 4-16x50 V4 as I have two of them. Great scopes, I think you’d be thrilled.

I’m gonna go grab the reticle # off the box and edit this later with that info because it’s a good one.

Edit: this is what I have. I like them very much. If I were buying another scope, this is what it would be. Note the #93 reticle.

Yeah I think Zeiss is one of the top ones, I missed out on a good second here locally by an hour as someone went witht he cash before I could finish work. Really hits me in the heart strings now knowing how good they are lol

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by oldcuss
First off, my suggestion is get a hold of our own John Barsness' books.
He has more optical knowledge and experience than 90% of us combined.
Great reads and helpful advice from a true professional.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have four Zeiss Conquest V-4 6-24x50's. It is my favorite scope for sure. And if you go to Redhawk Rifles and click on Demo Optics, you can but a 1200 dollar scope for 800 bucks. That's where I bough all four of mine. All four scopes are like brand new. Only looked at never used and they come with the same warranty. A hell of a deal!!

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

SWFA currently has that scope in the 44 mm version with a #94 reticle for $500, fwiw.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

SWFA currently has that scope in the 44 mm version with a #94 reticle for $500, fwiw.

On back order. Are they good with backorders and pricing at time of purchase?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Buy a Nightforce or a Trijicon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GA Precision is really pushing this one on their site...

Bushnell LRHS-2 4.5-18 x 44 G2H reticle
$959.00

https://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/optics/bushnell-lrhs-2-4-5-18-x-44-g2h-reticle.html

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 257Bob
GA Precision is really pushing this one on their site...

Bushnell LRHS-2 4.5-18 x 44 G2H reticle
$959.00

https://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/optics/bushnell-lrhs-2-4-5-18-x-44-g2h-reticle.html
Good scope, but I only like donuts with my coffee!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,300
Posts18,525,963
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.