Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear you bushrat.
Now they want the Federal government to become more involved in fire fighting...dumb fuggs, that is the last thing we need.

Its all about control....and special interest....book it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was actually hazy here today, from the fires according to local news.

Just can't imagine the amount of timer that has to be burning for the smoke
to hit South Central Pa.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I misunderstood the news, our smoke isn't from the West,
it's coming from Ontario and Frogland.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last year there was a person charged with arson for quite a number of the fires in BC Alberta has the same problem.

https://www.lakelandtoday.ca/local-...er-admitting-to-setting-32-fires-5052191

Hugh
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well, three pages in...we to the south are waiting...how big are your fires? (don't be trash talkin' no damn killomeaters an' hectares an' all that French fried Frog talk metrick stuff)

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This should give you a picture. I am in central Ontario near Orillia. We had a haze, and the smoke in the air made things difficult for some people.

Hundreds of Fires Are Out of Control in Canada’s Worst-Ever Season
Mathieu Dion, Bloomberg News

[Linked Image from bnnbloomberg.ca]

A fixed wing waterbomber drops water onto the Cameron Bluffs wildfire near Port Alberni, British Columbia, Canada, on Tuesday, June 6, 2023. Canada is on track to see its worst-ever wildfire season in recorded history if the rate of land burned continues at the same pace. Photographer: James MacDonald/Bloomberg , Bloomberg
---

(Bloomberg) -- Wildfires continue to burn large tracts of forest in Canada, with little sign weather will provide much help to firefighters who are battling the blazes that are sending smoke over New York and other major cities.

More than 400 forest fires are still active across the country, and most of them are out of control. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada is living through its “worst wildfire season” in recorded history during a briefing with journalists in Ottawa on Wednesday.

NYC Will Choke on Canada Wildfire Smoke for Days: Weather Watch

Wildfires are poised to burn more land than ever in Canada, with over 3.8 million hectares (9.4 million acres) scorched so far, according to the Canadian National Fire Database. That’s about double the size of New Jersey.

Ottawa, Canada’s capital, was shrouded in smoke again, and its air quality health index was rated 10+ or “very high risk” by the country’s weather agency. Sports events were canceled and officials warned older people and young children to avoid strenuous outdoor activity. Flights were still leaving Ottawa’s airport, but with a number of delays.

The rest here - https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/hundred...-in-canada-s-worst-ever-season-1.1930180

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Well, three pages in...we to the south are waiting...how big are your fires? (don't be trash talkin' no damn killomeaters an' hectares an' all that French fried Frog talk metrick stuff)
So far this year just in Alberta about 1.2 million hectacres or just shy of 3 million acres has burned. It's early in the season yet.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see Trudeau and friends are using the fires to hype climate change, justifying their carbon tax, the media is really on this story. Carbon tax is everything to the Liberals.
Has someone been lighting these fires wtf??

Fires don't just start on their own. Not sure about the rest of Canada lol, but this land was formed by fire, and has burned for thousands of years, about every 100 years a fire occurred.

So now with 100 years of fire suppression, the forest is mature and bug infested, that is what happens and is a natural cycle. That and the fact there isn't anyone to put them out, because they chased us all out of the bush.
Today, where I live the sky is clear and sunny.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 673
I see Trudeau and friends are using the fires to hype climate change, justifying their carbon tax, the media is really on this story. Carbon tax is everything to the Liberals.
Has someone been lighting these fires wtf??

Trudeau has been taking serious heat over his inflationary budget, rising interest rates and afforability (housing, food and fuel). The wildfires are just what he needs to try and divert the message from something he is the cause of to a different issue. He will exploit this to his own benefit. Suprised he has not come out dressed in a firefighters uniform to show solidarity.

Back on the fire topic we have another one going in Alberta with Higway 16 out by Edson closed again. Very hot, dry and very windy here --- perfect conditions for fire to spread quickly.

Hugh
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hugh, the fire is not a new one. It is the same fire that has been burning for over a month now, it originated from 2 seperate fires that have grown together into one. Both started south west of the Brazeau Resevoir and the second one started on the O'chiese reserve further south and east. It has finally made its way northwest to HWY 16 and is licking on the doorstep of Edson. This fire has been out of control the entire time. Hopefully they can proctect Edson but I'm not so sure, at least the wind has died down today. The burnt area is about 60 miles long by about 25 miles wide and growing in a north west direction straight toward Edson. Yesterday with the wind it increased about 73,000 hectacres or about 180,000 acres.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bushrat - thanks for the detail. I was not aware of the two becoming one big fire. The news we get on this is not consistent.

Hugh
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Just a note of interest, not a one-up or anything. Air quality is based on a 1 - 10 scale. A few years back, they "estimated" (equipment failed to produce meaningful data) our air quality at 47 . I tried to take pictures with a digital SLR, but there wasn't enough light (at 0930), shutter stayed open until I just gave up trying. I'll post some pics in the gallery from the day before .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ParsnipPappy;
Welcome to the fire from the sunny south Okanagan, I hope that you and yours are having a decent weekend and that there's no threat of a 47 air quality day anytime soon.

We had a really ugly time in Penticton in around 2018 I believe it was. It was August and when the valley heats up its rather like putting a lid on a pot somehow.

Anyways there was a couple days where we beat the worst city in India for air quality supposedly.

As you say, it's not a one up thing, but my goodness it was tough to see half a block that time.

Funny the Vaseux Fire in '03 which we got evacuated for and was at the same time as the one that burned all those houses in Kelowna didn't have that bad an air quality. Neither did the big fires here Thomas Creek Fire and N'Mip Fire which ran at the same time in '21 on the mountain behind the house.

Perfect conditions for a bad situation I suppose? Not sure.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ParsnipPappy
Just a note of interest, not a one-up or anything. Air quality is based on a 1 - 10 scale. A few years back, they "estimated" (equipment failed to produce meaningful data) our air quality at 47 . I tried to take pictures with a digital SLR, but there wasn't enough light (at 0930), shutter stayed open until I just gave up trying. I'll post some pics in the gallery from the day before .

Here is the government webpage that people can check out to better understand weather announcements and your post.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...health-index/understanding-messages.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Yes, Dwayne. That was a bad stretch for a few years. My SIL lived in Kelowna then. Fire is a strange critter. Five or six houses in her cul-de-sac got hit, but four or five (including hers) were missed. Her siding was melted from the heat. But the bombers did put a nice coat of pink over it. Everyone got out, so all was good in the end. You take care of yours, stay safe, stay healthy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,295 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.