Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by MrWilson
so in all seriousness , how does Eagle River rate for us old farts that need to be fairly close to good medical and some modern conveniences ?

Might be an issue finding medical care unless you can use the VA or Jber facilitates. According to my friends in Alaska it is becoming increasingly difficult to find places that accept Medicare unless you are already established with a physician in the area.
Perhaps the Alaska residents on Medicare can chime in and offer their experience.

Here in Delta, the medical care is very basic and Fairbanks doesn't compare with Anchorage.
Most of us either have our graves dug or keep a big wood pile to cremate our carcasses. We did a friend and it took a gallon of diesel and probably two gallons of whiskey.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like an interesting story....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds like a Viking ceremony.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Westman
Sounds like a Viking ceremony.

...sans saltwater...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No votes for Soldotna and just to the south yet? I have always thought that area had a lot going for it. It's been a while since I looked at real estate prices there, but they were better than most small AK towns.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you like mosquitoes/ the state bird!!! Daylight 23 hours a day or dark 23 hours a day go for it! I've been to Alaska 6 different years for work and Montana has it beat in every single imaginable way possible as far as a place to retire goes

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
No votes for Soldotna and just to the south yet? I have always thought that area had a lot going for it. It's been a while since I looked at real estate prices there, but they were better than most small AK towns.

in the summer, Soldotna/Kenai has far too many old fks clogging up the grocery aisles and roads, every fkn time theres a delay, slow down or complete shutdown it's because some silver haired old fkr is dragging balls or tits

probably because of all the old bastard pukers coming to town to snag sockeye in the Kenai River

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

We are thinking of moving back up and I visited Soldotna area a few times during my visit this summer. I didn't find it as appealing as I remembered. House prices were very similar to Anchorage. The difference being most lots in Soldotna were bigger. For now this area is off the table for us. Although if we did move I would plant a big trailer on a lot for the summer on the Kenai.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cooper Landing will improve dramatically when the "bypass" is complete.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Randy still trying to find a Dr to see me before I go on Medicare it's not easy, still happy with Eagle River seldom have to leave and traffic is not an issue like the Valley or Anchorage. Finally got an appointment only took 2 months sure I can go to a walk in but want a primary care Dr that knows me and my history and not ready to retire.

Last edited by kk alaska; 08/10/23.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Trystan
If you like mosquitoes/ the state bird!!! Daylight 23 hours a day or dark 23 hours a day go for it! I've been to Alaska 6 different years for work and Montana has it beat in every single imaginable way possible as far as a place to retire goes

How’s the salmon and halibut fishing or other saltwater activities in Montana? 😂

Montana is a beautiful state with a lot going for it but there’s no comparison if outdoor pursuits are the measure!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by MrWilson
so in all seriousness , how does Eagle River rate for us old farts that need to be fairly close to good medical and some modern conveniences ?

"Welcome to Anchorage"
Most of the disadvantages of the valley, few of the advantages of Anchorage...

There is no advantage to living in Anchorage.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Randy still trying to find a Dr to see me before I go on Medicare it's not easy, still happy with Eagle River seldom have to leave and traffic is not an issue like the Valley or Anchorage.

Traffic in the valley doesn’t get bad until Friday when Anchorage decides to head North to go camping.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Doesn’t Montana have a state income tax? Sales tax?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Randy still trying to find a Dr to see me before I go on Medicare it's not easy, still happy with Eagle River seldom have to leave and traffic is not an issue like the Valley or Anchorage.

Traffic in the valley doesn’t get bad until Friday when Anchorage decides to head North to go camping.

The hell it doesn't. The Palmer/Wasilla hwy intersection sucks every single day of the week. It takes as long to get thru the gridlock there as it does to drive from Anchorage to Lowe's/Kendall Ford.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Doesn’t Montana have a state income tax? Sales tax?

Montana has very little to offer. It is good to see how much better Alaska is so we don’t get as many move-ins as we would without Alaska.

The other great thing about Alaska is the jet boats and airplanes that you have to own so you can get to a lot of the places you want to go.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Montana has unlimited sheep units. I've hunted it ...

Alaska has dalls that are a smidge better than a needle in a haystack. At least used to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The view in Sitka as of right now. At least it isn’t raining…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska is absolutely horrible....please stay away......

I live at the Alcan and we cheer every U Haul we see heading South.

It's getting overcrowded here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Randy still trying to find a Dr to see me before I go on Medicare it's not easy, still happy with Eagle River seldom have to leave and traffic is not an issue like the Valley or Anchorage. Finally got an appointment only took 2 months sure I can go to a walk in but want a primary care Dr that knows me and my history and not ready to retire.

Kurk,
Good luck. We decided to list our house and property in January. If it sells we are moving back. Going to be tough to sell it due to all the acreage involved but all we can do is try. If it doest sell we will be content flying up 3-4 times a year. Fortunately both the wife and I can utilize the VA as well as the resources at Jber.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,746
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.