Page 1 of 2 1 2
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Colombia plane crash
The clues that helped find the children

June 10, 2023
Four children have been found alive after surviving a plane crash and spending weeks fending for themselves in Colombia's Amazon jungle.

Colombia's president said the rescue of the siblings, aged 13, nine, four and one, was "a joy for the whole country".

The children's mother and two pilots were killed when their light aircraft crashed in the jungle on 1 May.

[Linked Image from ichef.bbci.co.uk]

The Cessna 206 aircraft the children and their mother had been travelling on before the crash was flying from Araracuara, in Amazonas province, to San José del Guaviare, when it issued a mayday alert due to engine failure.

The bodies of the three adults were found at the crash site by the army, but it appeared that the children had escaped the wreckage and wandered into the rainforest to find help.

The dense jungle where the plane crashed is home to jaguars, snakes and a variety of other predators

The remnants of a makeshift shelter, as well as a pair of scissors and a hair tie, were among the first items to be found during search efforts

Rescuers initially feared the worst, but clues including foot prints gave them hope that the children might still be alive after they left the crash site looking for help.

Wild fruit which appeared to have been bitten into also suggested to search teams that the children might still be alive - and fending for themselves.

Members of the Huitoto indigenous group hoped that the siblings' knowledge of wild fruits would have given them a better chance of surviving in the inhospitable environment.

Indigenous people joined the search and helicopters broadcast a message from the children's grandmother, recorded in the Huitoto language, urging them to stop moving to make them easier to locate.

Pictures from the scene of the rescue showed several adults, some dressed in military fatigues, tending to the children as they sat on tarps in the jungle

The children, who appear gaunt in the photos, were evaluated by doctors before being flown out by the Colombian Air Force on an air ambulance to the Military Transport Air Command in Bogota, the capital, early Saturday morning where they are receiving hospital treatment.

President Gustavo Petro said finding the group was a "magical day", adding: "They were alone, they themselves achieved an example of total survival which will remain in history.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Amazing. There is hope. Good on them.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[bleep] usually do just fine in the jungle.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not always.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Remarkable survival for the four.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffA
Pictures from the scene of the rescue showed several adults, some dressed in military fatigues, tending to the children as they sat on tarps in the jungle

Thank God they found the children before Paul got there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by JeffA

Thank God they found the children before Paul got there.

OMG!! grin grin grin grin

Tarquin
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
How in the hell did they survive without, Game Boys, Tic Tok, Cell Phones, Texting, ect., ect.? memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
How in the hell did they survive without, Game Boys, Tic Tok, Cell Phones, Texting, ect., ect.? memtb

Well, now that you mention it, maybe they didn't, they might have been gamin' and Tic-Tokin' all along the way.

I built this post from three different news stories so I didn't add a link of it's origin.

I left out a photo that at the time I felt was insignificant.

This is the truth, no BS here.

A piece of metal which appeared to be part of a mobile phone was found at another location in the jungle.
(LINK)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A remarkable story of survival under incredibly harsh conditions. Talk about perseverance and determination .........

.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That 13 year old must have his/her head on straight. What a great job of taking care of three siblings.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would bet that a large part of their survival can be attributed to them not having a mentality of helplessness being instilled in them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
That 13 year old must have his/her head on straight. What a great job of taking care of three siblings.

Absolutely!

My wife and I were just saying the same thing. The 2 older kids kept a 1 year old and 4 year old alive in the Amazon for more than a month! Those youngsters deserve recognition and more….

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Those are indigenous kids, they grew up there and are familiar with the jungle.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There is so much to take into consideration it's mind boggling.

The trauma involved with witnessing the demise of their mother.

The efforts it'd take to keep a one year old alive with the bugs and the bullschit let alone keeping him/her fed.

They probably didn't walk away from the plane crash without injury either.

If they made it for 40 days, they'd of probably just kept on makin' it until they eventually showed up somewhere on their own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
not killed & eaten by cannibals or Head Hunters... WTF?...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow - beyond amazing - I would love to learn the actual story some day.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Naked and afraid ain’t got jack on these kids!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A miracle for sure.

1Minute
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Amazing! Staying with the plane would have been the thing to do, but I can understand why they did not.

Lots of food in the Amazon if you know how to find/use it. The "rest of the story", is the problem.

I figure I'd be good for about 2 hours.... smile

Last edited by las; 06/11/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.