-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a new factory battery in my 2018 4Runner. If I let the lights on a bit, it wouldn't start, so I got a new walmart battery. 4Runner never hiccuped since 2019.
I charge the original 4runner battery and run a 40 gallon 3 pt sprayer on my Kubota. I know I ran it 6 hours without a charge. I use the same battery for my clay pigeon thrower. No issues.
Good way to use a "junk" battery.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
LiFEPos have been coming down in price a lot. I looked at one brand for my bass boat a year ago and it was $1000. Today, it's $700.

One major advantage for your sprayer application is weight. A car battery or a deepcycle of the car size can weigh 50-60 pounds. The one Swifty linked to weighs less than three. A car-sized lithium weighs about 30.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
AS standard charger won't fully charge a Li battery. It needs 14.4 to 14.6V for a full charge and standard chargers only get up to about 13.8.
Pulling a deep cycle down below 50% over and over will damage it. A Li battery can be discharged down to about 5% repeatedly without damage. So, you can get nearly twice the run time from the same size of Li. Of course it'll take twice as long re recharge.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Everstart is another one made by Johnson Controls, as are 50% of the batteries sold in the US. They're good batteries for the money.

― George Orwell

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
AS standard charger won't fully charge a Li battery. It needs 14.4 to 14.6V for a full charge and standard chargers only get up to about 13.8.
Pulling a deep cycle down below 50% over and over will damage it. A Li battery can be discharged down to about 5% repeatedly without damage. So, you can get nearly twice the run time from the same size of Li. Of course it'll take twice as long re recharge.

Lithium's only real advantage is weight savings. A battery that can be discharged down to 5% isn't much good if your appliance shuts off at 10.8 volts as most of them do. Lithiums are fussy about temperature and charging profile and expensive. Seems like an auxiliary outlet tied into the engine battery would be ideal since power is only required while running. 10 gauge wire more than adequate, fused. I use 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for off grid camper. Relay or battery switch to engine battery. Overkill for this application but much cheaper than Lithium and comparable AGM.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lithium's only real advantage is weight savings. A battery that can be discharged down to 5% isn't much good if your appliance shuts off at 10.8 volts as most of them do. Lithiums are fussy about temperature and charging profile and expensive. Seems like an auxiliary outlet tied into the engine battery would be ideal since power is only required while running. 10 gauge wire more than adequate, fused. I use 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for off grid camper. Relay or battery switch to engine battery. Overkill for this application but much cheaper than Lithium and comparable AGM.

I disagree.

Standard Li ion batteries do have much reduced voltage toward the end of their discharge. LiFePO4 batteries have a much flatter voltage curve, more like lead acid.

LiFePO4 batteries can take far more charge/discharge cycles than lead acid. Per cycle, they are cheaper.

They are not any more fussy than any other battery. You do have to get the right charger, but those are cheap on eBay.

Last edited by denton; 06/11/23.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everstart is another one made by Johnson Controls, as are 50% of the batteries sold in the US. They're good batteries for the money.
I sure hope they're not still selling batteries made by JCI.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought one of those 25 gallon sprayers that you pull behind a 4 wheeler.
Hooked it right to the battery of my 4 wheeler.
Sprayed 80 acres without a hitch!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dale06
I have a food plot sprayer that sits on my utv or pick up tail gate and it has a 10’ boom. The sprayer pump requires 12V to operate.
I know I can run it off the vehicle battery.

Question, if I buy a 12V auto battery and it’s fully charged, will it run this sprayer for about 1.5 hours without being recharged?

I'd say yes, but a deep cycle boat battery would be my first choice. They will run a trolling motor quite a while.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wish I could buy cheap batteries for my 48 volt sporting clays cart. Just had it re-done....but it gets used daily on the farm, real handy.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I’ve done this for many years with no ill effects.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it's in the back of the pickup plug it into the power in the trailer plug, or provide a deep cycle battery and hook a charging wire to the battery.
On the atv/utv it would work the same as well.

If you want to give yourself some flexibility, put a solar panel charger and an rv battery on the same skid. It will keep it charged while sitting, and help charge while in use.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I’ve done this for many years with no ill effects.
Same here. Most sprayers that size will have a 2.2 gph pump. The ATV or garden tractor battery will power it just fine as long as you keep the engine running.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A cheap deep cycle battery from Wally World or your farm store would be just the ticket . Charge it up between use

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Assuming you have a 7 pole connector on your P/U and UTV for when you pull a trailer. Why not just use something like this: Link

and use a little 4 pole flat connector on your pump using just 2 poles +/-, forget the battery all together. Hell wire it so you can start and stop it with the other 2 poles or with the head lights...

Phil

D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Im the OP and just bought a deep cycle marine battery and charger.
Thanks guys for all the advice.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I disagree.

Standard Li ion batteries do have much reduced voltage toward the end of their discharge. LiFePO4 batteries have a much flatter voltage curve, more like lead acid.

Therefore: no advantage over cheaper alternative?

LiFePO4 batteries can take far more charge/discharge cycles than lead acid. Per cycle, they are cheaper.

If that theory were true would not golf courses have switched over to lithium long ago? Floor sweepers? Man lifts? Temporary traffic signs and lighting?

They are not any more fussy than any other battery. You do have to get the right charger, but those are cheap on eBay.[/quote]

Is this not an additional expense for special charger? The cold weather limitations may not apply here, but it's another negative. Lithium is more mystic and $Gucci than anything practical, in my view, which is admittedly stingy.

Last edited by Crash_Pad; 06/11/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If that theory were true would not golf courses have switched over to lithium long ago? Floor sweepers? Man lifts? Temporary traffic signs and lighting?
A lot of golf cart owners have gone to Li. Gold courses haven't because they have huge money invested in carts and converting them is even more costly. They'd have to lay out big bucks for batteries, chargers, etc.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A lot of golf cart owners have gone to Li. Gold courses haven't because they have huge money invested in carts and converting them is even more costly. They'd have to lay out big bucks for batteries, chargers, etc.
You were wrong

AGAIN

LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,088
Posts18,501,808
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.