Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok back from Tucson. There’s so many good places to eat there

Alafia west African restaurant was very good. The whole tilapia was great

Selena’s Salvadoran 👌🏻 Pupusas are dynamite

For tacos taqueria El Chikitin (food truck) on Grant and Country Club is an awesome quick stop. If you have a sweet tooth there is a Raspados El Chikitin next door (actual storefront). The Macedonia was fantastic

Kartchner Caverns is pretty cool. I’d say worth seeing

Tombstone is a total tourist trap but people were loving it. The shootout is worth the $10 admission. If you like beer, Tombstone Brewing is there and it’s my favorite brewery in the state

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well we're here and heading to Miami AZ for lunch and take Kent's 2 routes. Going to Bisbee as well and trying to squeeze in some more sights tomorrow. BTW the Divine Bovine burger joint was great

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Well we're here and heading to Miami AZ for lunch and take Kent's 2 routes. Going to Bisbee as well and trying to squeeze in some more sights tomorrow. BTW the Divine Bovine burger joint was great

If you get a chance you might want to take a selfie in front of the AR15 mural in Miami to document your visit. I keep forgetting to do that. It's right down from Guayo's.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guayo's El Rey on Sullivan street. Miami is about one mile long going through route 60, there is only one street paralleling the 60, it's on the north one block, Sullivan st, it's the real downtown, mostly antique shops and Guayo's, many of the buildings are abandoned. There are two Guayo's restaurants, two brothers from the original couple that started Guayo's in the 40s. The other is 'Guayo's on the Trail' a few miles away on the road to Roosevelt lake. I like Miami's Guayo's better but they are very close. The two brothers kill some nice mule deer around that area.

I get a number 6, enchilada, taco, burro, if you order a combo the default for an enchilada is cheese and the burro is a 'regular burro', which is bean, red sauce and meat chunks. I tell them to add beef to my enchilada, you can add whatever or leave it cheese, I like the regular burro but you can make it whatever they have, my buddy likes the green chili burro. There are two different hot sauce, I use the hot, my wife mixes the two, and the kids use the mild, ask which is which.

The rice is killer, they won't give up the recipe and I can't figure out the last one or two ingredients to duplicate it.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/16/23.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Being pride month, Bisbee will be interesting, funny how such a small town has such a large homosexual population?
Best chow in Bisbee is Bisbee breakfast club, there are several points of interest, and a major part of old town is legit, unlike Tombstone.
If for some unknown reason you venture further south to Douglas, best Meskin food in the county is El Chef. Possibly one of just a small handful in the whole state that actually make their red sauce for burros and enchiladas from Chile pods instead of out of a can or jar. You can always tell the minute you see that pale orange/red color, the restuarant is slacking, El Chefs sauce is deep red and the real deal.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gonna have to check out this place in Miami

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Globe/Claypool/Miami are all one community maybe 6 miles total. Anyway since you will be in Globe, if you have 30 minutes stop by the ruins, just off the 60 in Globe, It's part of an actual city park.

1324 S. Jesse Hayes Rd.
Globe, AZ 85501

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/16/23.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Gonna have to check out this place in Miami

It's been there for about 80 years, recipes are the same as long as I can remember and probably from when my grandparents ate there.

Kent

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Gwen had the #5. I had 2 green beef enchiladas . We had 3 bowls of them fabulous chips. Kent thanks for the routes and the restaurant. Taking on Bisbee tomorrow am. Went to casa grande ruins and stopped at several interesting places.

FJB
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You can stop in the old Globe cemetery and check out Ed Tewksbury, last man standing in the Pleasant Valley War, and Al Sieber, famous chief of scouts for the US Army during the Indian wars in Az. He also took Tom Horn under his wing.

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Gwen had the #5. I had 2 green beef enchiladas . We had 3 bowls of them fabulous chips. Kent thanks for the routes and the restaurant. Taking on Bisbee tomorrow am. Went to casa grande ruins and stopped at several interesting places.

I didn't mention the chips, hoping they'd be a pleasant surprise, I swear I could just eat bowls of chips and go out happy. For those that don't know they put two kinds in the bowl, corn and flour, the flour are like super gourmet.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Going to Bisbee I like the Horseshoe cafe in Benson for breakfast or lunch coming back, in Tombstone I think it's the OK Corral cafe about a block off the main drag.

Kent

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Did Coronado park, Montezuma pass, and national forest today. Loved it. Think we saw Cous deer by Parker canyon lake. Hit a border patrol check point too.

FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Should have just asked for places to see in the state!

Hope you enjoyed.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp

Guayo's El Rey on Sullivan street. Miami is about one mile long going through route 60, there is only one street paralleling the 60, it's on the north one block, Sullivan st, it's the real downtown, mostly antique shops and Guayo's, many of the buildings are abandoned. There are two Guayo's restaurants, two brothers from the original couple that started Guayo's in the 40s. The other is 'Guayo's on the Trail' a few miles away on the road to Roosevelt lake. I like Miami's Guayo's better but they are very close. The two brothers kill some nice mule deer around that area.

I get a number 6, enchilada, taco, burro, if you order a combo the default for an enchilada is cheese and the burro is a 'regular burro', which is bean, red sauce and meat chunks. I tell them to add beef to my enchilada, you can add whatever or leave it cheese, I like the regular burro but you can make it whatever they have, my buddy likes the green chili burro. There are two different hot sauce, I use the hot, my wife mixes the two, and the kids use the mild, ask which is which
Kent

SHH!
Busy enough as it is.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I know Dave... I don't know if it's worth driving from Tucson for, at least the first time.

My wife describes it like this... first time you say, that was good... second time your tastebuds have acclimated to the different type of flavors than the mex/amer food in town, and says, Oh ya... by the third time you swear there's some addictive drug put in there.

No where else is the chips and salsa worth stopping in for by itself, or the rice not just some side afterthought. Most of the mex restaurants in the Globe area are related, the Reynoso and Guayo families multiple restaurants, Burger house, Ed's la casita... very unique traditional style mex food found no where else.

We've taken a lot of people up there, if my wife posts on facebook we went, they come out of the woodwork complaining we didn't invite them...

Kent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Krp,

What fo you think of Guayos on the Trail. Used to stop there on the way up to hunt with JLG.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Krp,

What fo you think of Guayos on the Trail. Used to stop there on the way up to hunt with JLG.

They are brothers, Guayos in Miami is closed wed, the trail is closed tuesdays, maybe mondays also now. They do that so one is always open. They have the same recipes and menus, same chips, slight variation in taste, very close.

My wife likes authentic albondigas soup with clear broth, on the trail's soup is red and tastes like Campbells veg soup... that's the only complaint.

I've eaten at on the trail in the last month fishing on a wed, it was good!

Kent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Krp,

They are brothers, Guayos in Miami is closed wed, the trail is closed tuesdays, maybe mondays also now. They do that so one is always open. They have the same recipes and menus, same chips, slight variation in taste, very close.

My wife likes authentic albondigas soup with clear broth, on the trail's soup is red and tastes like Campbells veg soup... that's the only complaint.

I've eaten at on the trail in the last month fishing on a wed, it was good!

Kent

Copy. Have eaten at both many times but the Tucson to Rim drive it was more convenient to stop @ on the Trail.

Regards

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Last time I saw JLG, he had a young girl hunter up in the Payson area that needed a 410 to hunt squirrels with, she wasn't able to get it done with a 22. He was wanting to find one for the mother to buy her...

Screw that, I asked the guys on CWT to pony up 20 bucks each and we bought one for her. JLG stopped by my house to pick it up, later he said her mother cried and had no idea strangers cared about her daughter enough to do that... pass it on...

JLG is a good guy, glad I know him.

Kent

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12savage, 57 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,315
Posts18,505,694
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.