Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by tdoyka
. so my theory is no matter what caliber, only go to 2800fps for a mushroom bullet. go over 2800fps and you have a frag grenade. leaking the deer (mushroom) you can find it if it runs. putting a hole in the deer and then it fragments and it runs not leaving a blood trail, then your tracker skills better be up to par.

How do you define "a mushroom bullet"?
You've never hunted fungi??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by tdoyka
. so my theory is no matter what caliber, only go to 2800fps for a mushroom bullet. go over 2800fps and you have a frag grenade. leaking the deer (mushroom) you can find it if it runs. putting a hole in the deer and then it fragments and it runs not leaving a blood trail, then your tracker skills better be up to par.

How do you define "a mushroom bullet"?
You've never hunted fungi??

blue arrow
[img]https://i.imgur.com/4pV0D7p.jpg?1[/img]

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Last edited by tdoyka; 07/19/23.

"Russia sucks."

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
I agree with the OP, Nosler has probably pushed alot of folks into the Hornady camp as of late.

Cost isn't the deciding factor, availability is. Nosler bullets in the diameters and weights I want seem to be .. imaginary. Speer is as bad or worse. So it is more or less shoot Hornady or collect bolt action paperweights.

Regarding the orginal question, I've picked up a few SSTs in configurations where varmint bullets aren't available.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes it’s a problem and sometimes it’s a blessing.

When bullets are available in calibers and weights I stock up. I’ve made a mistake or two regarding buying a good quantity just because that bullet shot quite accurately. In one case long ago the bullet was acclaimed to be the best big game bullet available and there were quite a few writing the same thing. But, it seems no one tried that bullet on game. The front of the bullet would shear off and the rear would act like a solid.

Buying bullets in bulk when available have pros and cons.

Pro: I have those “not as common bullets” on my shelf when I need them.
Con: I’ve bought several bullets in quantity and found out they were a very poor game bullet.

Now, I read what knowledgable people write about them, before I splurge. I guess I should have been doing my own expansion/penetration studies.

This kind of post in “ask the gunwriters” was a good thing to post.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
tdoyka,

It looks like to me that you mean any lead or lead-cored bullet that's designed so the front end expands when hitting game. But "monolithic" bullets, without lead cores, and generally made out of copper or copper alloys, also expand when hitting game.

Please spare me the Youtube videos. I know Ron Spomer very well--in fact he's one of my oldest friends in the gun/hunting writing business, though these days he works more on Youtube than writing. We also have hunted together a LOT, in various states and countries.

But for many years he didn't get very deeply into the technical side of rifles, partly because he was writing too many articles and traveling too much spend enough time to do more technical research. His youtube videos are good--but like most Youtube stuff are also relatively superficial. They have to be, because the attention-span of most viewers is short. Which is why his bullet video is only 15 minutes long.

The attention span of chat-room posters is also short, because they generally want THE answer on many subjects compressed into a 3-4 a few paragraphs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mule Deer,

i unfortunately got into mono bullets too early, early to mid '90s. i used a 85gr Barnes X bullet in my 243 Win on a doe. all it did to the deer was a pencil-like wound channel (lungs). i tracked the doe about 300 some yards thru thick brush and mountain laurel. there was blood, but a drop or two every 50 - 75 yards kept me going. later, after i was done field dressing and dragging, i figured out that the bullet did not expand. so i said no more premium bullets, i'll go cup-n-core for whitetails. 10-12 years ago, i "discovered" that cast bullets are the way to go. i use 130gr Speer HP in my 30 Herrett (10" Contender barrel), 140gr Hornady SST in my 270 Win, 150gr Speer RN in my 30 Remington, 139gr Hornady FN and 140gr Hornady SST in my 7x57s and 7-08s. the SST bullets are going 2800fps or less. i want them to mushroom, not fragment like a hand grenade. if the deer does run, i'll find the leakage from a mushrooming bullet.

"Russia sucks."

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If that works for you then great!

However, it's part of my job to test all sorts of bullets, and eventually I not only tested them in several kinds of "media," but also realized that even though I hunted a lot, taking 25-30 animals a year for quite a while, the best way to obtain plenty of field results was to go on big "cull" hunts, in the U.S. and other places. This was because I could not only get definite results from the animals I shot, but from other hunters I observed, or question.

The biggest was a month-long hunt in South Africa in 2007, where another dozen hunters and I took 180+ animals, ranging from springbok (very similar to American pronghorns) to a pile of elk-sized animals, and a few Cape buffalo. I only took 13 animals, but was alongside several of the other hunters when they took 59 animals, and spent time after hunting each day not only asking about their results, but going to the skinning barn and seeing animals taken apart. (One of the interesting things about Africa is they rarely gut animals in the field. Instead they take them to a tent or building where several people do the entire job of reducing them to meat, hides and trophies.)

But also done similar hunts not just in Africa but several states, primarily Texas for deer, wild pigs and sometimes other non-native game, and also in places such as Ireland. That sort of deal provides far more information on how various hunting bullets work in the field than any other experiments I've made--and is how I learned various monolithic bullets not only worked but often improved over the years.

Thanks for explaining what you meant by "mushroom" bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 222Sako, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 3,213 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,122
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.