EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Obviously because personal preference is of more importance than reality.

That's the explanation for why CRF is needed....because some old guy said so.

Its a non-factor concerning reliability in modern bolt actions

So can we agree that a CRF rifle can be every bit as reliable as a PF?

So we can agree that PF is every bit as reliable as CRF? Which makes it pointless

I prefer CRF but do own a few of Remingtons. A simple decision of mine with zero need for agreement.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
pathfinder76
Some of the rifles which look like they have Milliron stocks were done by Russ Leonard who was a sales rep for some of the gun/scope companies in the 1960’s. I believe he represented Leupold and Hornady. He was an early fan of 7mm’s and used a 7-06. There is a great picture of him in an old Hornady book.

Milliron told me that his “racy classic” was developed from stocks made by Leonard and with Leonard’s input and approval. Eleanor O’Connor’s small ring 7x57 was stocked by Leonard and is an early version of Milliron’s racy pattern. I actually have a semi inlet that Earl did for me many moons ago. Really nice.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I found it! The current owner says it is Earl Milliron stocked. Interesting.[/quote]
That is interesting. I could swear he told me it was a Beisen. No matter, it was a well-used and very practical hunting rifle. I can't honestly recall why he had brought the rifle in to me. GD

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread.

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I really like my Remington, it's maybe my favorite...but it is CRF...yuk, yuk...how droll.(model 30S)

Last edited by flintlocke; 06/26/23.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a model 30 action which has been sitting in the drawer for thirty years. I'm undecided on what to do with it. I replaced the bolt handle, in preparation for starting to build something, but there it sits. I originally planned on a 30 Newton, but I might just fit a common 30/06 barrel instead. GD

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like how some guys will cite guides in Alaska as a reference, most of those guides are about as gundummy as your Fudd neighbor and don't know any better than "because some African PH said so" and most of those guys are stuck in the past and refuse to advance beyond a firewood stocked Win 70 in 375 H&H and only shoot at game inside of 100 yards, and believe that nobody on the planet should hunt any other way

I've put 40 years of hunting in Alaska and have yet to kill anything with a CRF rifle, all 700's and that includes brown/grizzly bears... have yet to experience any kind of feeding/extraction failures the chicken littles keep talking about

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have 1 classic and several Pre 64s. I didn't give much thought between the CRF and push feed idea until I was trying to quietly load my push feed Winchester while deer hunting. By slowly working the action with the barrel pointed up the cartridge fell out of the action and onto the rocks. The only push feed I have bought since is a Remington in .220 Swift.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am a model 70 guy and my main hunting rifle for the past few decades has been a ss model 70 classic in 300 ultra mag wearing a Echols legend edge stock, Rock #3 spout and Jewell trigger.
The problem with model 70's is there are few smiths that are good at working on them and they will never make light rifles because the action itself is pretty heavy.
The classics also have terrible triggers made of cheaply cast parts. Same story with the extractors on many of them. My gun wears a Williams extractor and a Williams SS Oberndorf style bottom metal, because the factory parts were just cheesy.
Also be aware that the latter NH classics were mostly junk from a fit, finish, and machining stand point. The BACO guns are much better in this regard.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Interesting you say that about the trigger. I had this rifle built several years ago by “greydog” and had him install an MRC stainless steel trigger. Same design as the Model 70, and it does not appear to be cast.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

So we can agree that PF is every bit as reliable as CRF? Which makes it pointless

Since the CRF came first we CAN agree that they’re both reliable and the push feed is NOT better so that would make the push feed the pointless non-improvement over the CRF. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Since the CRF came first we CAN agree that they’re both reliable and the push feed is NOT better so that would make the push feed the pointless non-improvement over the CRF. 😉
But the push feed Remington 700 is certainly better in certain areas. Gas handling and accuracy being two of them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Interesting you say that about the trigger. I had this rifle built several years ago by “greydog” and had him install an MRC stainless steel trigger. Same design as the Model 70, and it does not appear to be cast.

The Model 70 classic trigger is most certainly cast. Metal injection molded to be specific. Even when a decent Smith stones them they are not great and I have had several done by competent model 70 smith's.
I can't speak to MRC triggers, but the receiver on the MRC is cast so I woukd be very suprised if the trigger parts are not cast as well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

The Model 70 classic trigger is most certainly cast. Metal injection molded to be specific. Even when a decent Smith stones them they are not great and I have had several done by competent model 70 smith's.
I can't speak to MRC triggers, but the receiver on the MRC is cast so I woukd be very suprised if the trigger parts are not cast as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wonder rifle! What chambering? #2 contour bbl? Thanks!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RinB
Actually I limit myself to 3 but currently own 2.

Masochist!

I still self flagellate regularly for not purchasing your Echols G33/40

“Factio democratica delenda est"
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Wonder rifle! What chambering? #2 contour bbl? Thanks!

Thanks! It is a 7mm Remington Magnum. The barrel is a Benchmark in a #2 Douglas contour

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BWalker

Yes, I’m aware that the OEM trigger is cast. I do, however, disagree that it can’t be exceptional. I have a rifle built by Mark Penrod with a trigger that will rival just about anything.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the Model 70 Classics with "Winchester Trademark" on the actions vs "Winchester Trademark Licensed from Olin Corp" on the action?

Both have "Made in New Haven CT" stamped on the barrel but not sure if both are actually Classic Stainless models.

Besides that, are there any differences in the rifles?

Attached Images
Winchester Tade mark_Resized.jpg (54.76 KB, 269 downloads)
thumbnail_resized.jpg (67.76 KB, 269 downloads)
Last edited by model70classic; 06/28/23.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I've hunted, and continue to hunt, almost exclusively with pre-64 model 70s. Some of my hunting is almost in my backyard calling coyotes, but my last several trips have been to Alaska. My last was a year ago on Kodiak for brown bear, which I was successful on. I can only speak for myself, however I suspect others share my opinions. There are a couple reasons I prefer pre-64s. Any action is susceptible to some problems, however when I closely analyze the design of the pre-64, and to a somewhat lesser extent, the post-64 CRF, 2 things are true: the individual components are simple, proven over decades of hard use, and rugged. I'm talking about trigger design, safety design, feed system, one piece bolt, etc. All those things add up to a less likelihood of breakage or other failure. Second, the over-all functional system works really, really well. When I hunt Alaska, I hunt with my son, who is a licensed guide. He carries a post-64 CRF .375 and likes it a lot, but has only used it a few years. However, pre-64s in Alaska, especially .375s have been a staple for many, many years. When you hunt in places like Kodiak, you appreciate reliability more than just reading about it. So that's just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck.

The the post-64 CRF M70 does not have a one piece bolt. At least my 375 H&H and 416 Rem don't. My 416 bolt was sent to Alaska for a TIG fix.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,817
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.