Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'll be in the Gunnison National Forest the first two weeks of September. If anyone anticipates hunting elk or mule deer within about 20 miles of Crested Butte, let me know and I'll be happy to give you a scouting report. I'll be hiking and biking every day, and I enjoy trying to find animals even though I can't hunt them.

Right now that country is burning. Crested Butte is OK,but everything on the west side of the road along Ohio Creek is closed .Lowline fire, 1800 acres, 55 % contained. Smoke is moderate to heavy in the AM.More than likely it will burn until the snow flies

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'll be in the Gunnison National Forest the first two weeks of September. If anyone anticipates hunting elk or mule deer within about 20 miles of Crested Butte, let me know and I'll be happy to give you a scouting report. I'll be hiking and biking every day, and I enjoy trying to find animals even though I can't hunt them.

Right now that country is burning. Crested Butte is OK,but everything on the west side of the road along Ohio Creek is closed .Lowline fire, 1800 acres, 55 % contained. Smoke is moderate to heavy in the AM.More than likely it will burn until the snow flies

Crap, that area along Ohio Creek is gorgeous. My favorite ride is to go from Mt Crested Butte, down to Gunnison at Ohio Creek Rd, up and over Ohio Pass, back down into the Butte for food, then back up to Mt Crested Butte. I don't know how much of it is public, but elk are often between Ohio Pass Rd and Flat Top and Red Mountains to the east. No rain on the radar right now and hasn't been much lately.

Best I can tell, the fire is burning the wooded area beyond the pasture.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They have contained it on the east side.(55%) I think Ohio Creek road is open. Anything west is closed. To the west, they are monitoring it as they don't think it will progress past the rock cliffs. Generally letting it burn into the Wilderness Area. To the north,it is past Squirrel Creek and about half way to South Castle Creek.

Everything is private along Ohio Creek Road until you get to the cattle guard at the National Forest Boundary about twenty mile snorth of Gunnison

I would avoid Ohio Creek road..It still has lot of fire fighting traffic on it.

I am leaving for Gunnison in about an hour.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by pete53
You should have just hunted an alfalfa field.

smokepole is just a keyboard smartarse troll that probably has never killed an elk with a bow and arrow, know`s very little about bowhunting. > alfalfa is elk candy .

my biggest bull elk killed with a bow scored 376 B.C. my son`s biggest with a bow is even bigger and that was near an alfalfa field 1/2 mile from the public land he killed his biggest bull i called in , we have killed other bulls and cows over 10 years with our bows too > always bet on an alfalfa field if your a smart bowhunter hunting elk,deer or antelope .

ok Smokepole / troll tell us some more keyboard B.S. > MYSELF I JUST WANNA HELP BOWHUNTERS HAVE A CHANCE AT AN ELK,DEER OR ANTELOPE < Pete53

LOL, sorry I pissed in your Wheaties, Petey. The fact is, 95+% of public land suitable for a DIY hunt is not within 1/2 mile of alfalfa fields. And the public land that is within 1/2 mile of alfalfa fields is also within 1/2 mile of easy vehicle access. Not where anyone with half a brain would recommend pursuing bulls.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

smokepole is just a keyboard smartarse troll that probably has never killed an elk with a bow and arrow, know`s very little about bowhunting. > alfalfa is elk candy .

my biggest bull elk killed with a bow scored 376 B.C. my son`s biggest with a bow is even bigger and that was near an alfalfa field 1/2 mile from the public land he killed his biggest bull i called in , we have killed other bulls and cows over 10 years with our bows too > always bet on an alfalfa field if your a smart bowhunter hunting elk,deer or antelope .

ok Smokepole / troll tell us some more keyboard B.S. > MYSELF I JUST WANNA HELP BOWHUNTERS HAVE A CHANCE AT AN ELK,DEER OR ANTELOPE < Pete53

LOL, sorry I pissed in your Wheaties, Petey. The fact is, 95+% of public land suitable for a DIY hunt is not within 1/2 mile of alfalfa fields. And the public land that is within 1/2 mile of alfalfa fields is also within 1/2 mile of easy vehicle access. Not where anyone with half a brain would recommend pursuing bulls.

just takes a man willing to get where he needs too hunt on foot , some of us don`t just drive a heated truck on two-track roads all day smokey and speaking more B.S.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pete again not all areas have any alfalfa. That only works for ag areas.

Look for a North slops bedding area and hunt the edge of it, don't bump them out of their beds. Small grassy opening near the north slope are feeding areas on public forest areas, not alfalfa.
Hunt the benches on the mountains too.

F
F
Thanks for the thread. Heading out on our first Wyoming rifle elk hunt DIY this fall and appreciate all the advice on here. Looked at elk completion reports and talked to the area biologist yesterday and getting excited. So much stuff to learn and remember! Not looking for a mature bull, as anything legal will be above our expectations!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Great comeback pete!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

just takes a man willing to get where he needs too hunt on foot , some of us don`t just drive a heated truck on two-track roads all day smokey and speaking more B.S.

LOL petey, you're the one talking about hunting within a half mile of alfalfa fields. I'll be hunting in a wilderness area in a month, no alfalfa within 10 miles.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Great pic, RC.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The biggest bull I've ever seen was when I didn't have any elk tag. I was bowhunting deer. These 2 guys were satellite bulls hanging around his harem. If these didn't have any cows, you can imagine what the big boy looked like.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have seen where the baddest bull with all the cows didn't have the biggest antlers.

Just the biggest attitude.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

LOL petey, you're the one talking about hunting within a half mile of alfalfa fields. I'll be hunting in a wilderness area in a month, no alfalfa within 10 miles.

good for you and good luck .Pete53

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The truth of the matter is it is harder to find a mature hunter than it is to find a mature bull. No matter what gets posted, it is to small or not acceptable as to where it was killed.

We should all be thankful that John Burns is still absent, BuzzH doesn’t post on more than one topic, and Big Stick doesn’t have any elk to brag about.

Life isn’t too bad when you consider what is left to talk about if you forget what isn’t…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Pretty mature call out post. Lol

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,674
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.