-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
go to the bookstore and get Gottfried's map guide. Takes it hour by hour. Who did what where and when.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’m not one that believes in ghosts but it was honestly a place that I had profound sense of sadness just walking through some of the places there. A Navy buddy I served with lived near there and took me to see a few places. I do remember walking across little round top and I was nearly in tears just from those feelings.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I got to go to Gettysburg for the first time last May.
My wife and I, along with three of my boys, had to go to Pennsylvania for a nephew’s wedding.
Since we were only a couple of hours away we set aside a day for it.
We went on a bus with a certified guide. It was money well spent for the knowledge the gentleman had and his ability to dispense it.
I really enjoyed it.
It put a lot of things into perspective as far as the battle, size of the battlefield, and so on.
I would love to go back sometime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wade, before you visit. Please read up on the battle. I’ll suggest Shelby Foote’s “Stars In Their Course”. But there’s a lot of good books. Bruce Catton and many others.
If you know the history, the ground seems to talk to you. Every time I visit, I can see the battle, I can smell the smoke, it just does something to draw you in! There’s been times that I’ve seen myself serving the guns, or trying to hide under a rock as an infantryman.
Both my spouses told me “you may have died there”!
What I’m getting at, is if, the more you know it, the more the ground tells you!
Get one of the NPS guides on the first day. Those guys know their stuff, but ask questions too.
I think after they drive you around explaining things, you can probably tackle it yourself, with the help of the free field pamphlets.
Try to make time for one of the Ghost Walk tours. Always entertaining and interesting. I myself have never had a ghost experience, but that area can bring them alive!
Above all, have fun. I think it will leave a mark on you.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I go a few times a year. We were there yesterday.
There are a bunch of ways to see the park, but it takes a while to digest the magnitude.
Get the driving tour via smart phone or CD. That will self tour you around the park, and get you ready for a guide on day 2. There are 3 towers you can climb, and they are free and really help see the battlefield.
Get a linked battle field guide. Tim Smith is probably the most famous and is the county official historian.
If the horse tours are available get one with a guide. Again a really immersive way of seeing the battlefield and they give you a headset to hear the guide. Sachs bridge is neat and free. You can walk downstream from the dam on trails. We always catch crayfish and have the dog swim.
Eat at ABC Brewery, Sweenys tavern/Farnworth house, Blue and Grey on the town square, Irish pub on Steinwier, Mr Gs ice cream across from Farnwoth house. Dobin House is pretty fancy and neat. They have a regular section and fancy private rooms upstairs.
They had a food tour, and it is great. You eat at 8 places while walking touring. That may not be available that time of year.
You can really walk anywhere, but people rarely bust 50 yards from a car. Lots of trails. I bet people only see a small amount of the park by staying in a car.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wife and I and another couple did a horseback tour of the battlefield. It was one of the highlights of our time there. We spent three days and did everything we could fit in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What ever time you think you need .
Double it.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for all the responses--I appreciate it!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,596
Posts18,511,301
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.