Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I have no tools, or room for tools at the moment... so...to the gunsmith they go.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If the screws are 6-48 or 6-40 (some scope blocks were 6-40), a 7/64" (.109) end mill with a 1/8" shank works great to get an old screw out. I've used an 1/8" (.125) end mill successfully....but you don't have much room for error in any axis. For me, carbide is mandatory as it must start cutting the instant it touches the work piece. It needs to be a short (stub length) end mill and not have a large shank diameter as both of those can contribute to tool push off. An 1/8" collet is best but a precision chuck can be used if you know the runout is under .001.

Just a hacker's advice. smile -Al

Al-

An end mill Something like this??

7/64" 4 FLUTE SINGLE END CARBIDE END MILL 7/64" X 1/8" X 3/8" X 1-1/2"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As with many such things, form follows function. I've always had less than admiring thoughts, aesthetically speaking, when seeing Picatinny rails mounted on classic rifles. Of course the rifle in question here falls into that gray time period between "classic" and "modern", so do what you will in that regard.

When these rifles were built, the time honored Unertl/Targetspot/Fecker was succumbing to wonderful advances in internal adjustment scopes. That's not to say that a top-tier external adjustment target scope would be out of place on an H&R today, just that it is open to a myriad of possibilities that would all be "period correct". Personally, if one fell into my lap, I wouldn't hesitate to mount an old-school target scope on it - and wouldn't hesitate to do what's necessary to achieve it (mainly because I have over a dozen such scopes that I move around on-and-off of maybe 20 rifles). Ruining "collector's value" by d/t'ing extra holes on the receiver ring and barrel to accomplish that? Meh. To me, and a lot of non-collecting shooters, value is added that makes up for the loss in an investor/collector's eyes - just depends on who you or your heirs tries to sell it to down the line.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
The Lyman arrived today, glass needs cleaning (hopefully just the outer), functions seems all fine. Mounted it up on my H&R 451 (which is probably more period correct than the 5200). Damn, that's fine. Nothing really prepared me for how LONG it is though. LOL. Barely fit with the front ring pushed alll the way forward.

But yes...a modern optic would undoubtedly be easier to use.

Just far less cool, and way less sexy.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rosco1
I’m somewhat curious myself. There were all sorts of odd contraptions they came up with for enfields instead of milling the ears off the receiver

The answer is simple actually.

As mentioned when my father gave me the rifle, it had an ancient Weaver of some sort on it. The scope was put on my P17, in the 60s I believe, maybe even in the 50s.

I wanted to replace it so I purchased the Rainguard Elite 4200, 1. Because the scope was highly recommended by a friend and 2. I was able to use the existing Scope mounts.

When I want to upgrade the scope with a Huskemaw because of the size of the front lens, I was told by my gunsmith that I would have to tap new holes to accommodate the proper and Higher scope mounts. The size of the front lens and the type of mounts I needed, simply would not fit into the existing holes.

I did not want to tamper with the barrel, so I decided to leave it as is with the 4200 and original scope mounts.

Last edited by KillerBee; 07/14/23.

KB

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Ok, back from the gunsmith with the 5200,
just want to check on the hole spacing for the sight blocks.

Front is ~0.543" and rear is ~0.835" center to center on screws.
Does that sound right for standard unertl style scopes block/bases?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by aether_tech
Ok, back from the gunsmith with the 5200,
just want to check on the hole spacing for the sight blocks.

Front is ~0.543" and rear is ~0.835" center to center on screws.
Does that sound right for standard unertl style scopes block/bases?

Yep, that is pretty much the spacing on my factory drilled and tapped 1950 Winchester 52B .

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Did the glass clean up?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Did the glass clean up?
Yes

Attached Images
20230714_152453.jpg (38.38 KB, 52 downloads)

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by aether_tech
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Did the glass clean up?
Yes
Looks very good

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks like it came together ok. Kinda surprised it was d/t'ed so far forward on the barrel, but it is what it is. Looks to be spaced more than the standard 7.2" apart, or do my eyes deceive me? (7.2" gives 1/4MOA clicks on the turrets, and was a standard protocol back in the day. Farther spacing = less than 1/4MOA clicks obviously.)

I'll guess that the spottiness of the lens was external dirt? Really the only major stumbling block with these old Targetspot/Unertl/Fecker scope lenses is sometimes they'll delaminate which then requires the services of a pro scope doctor. External and internal cleaning is certainly within the province of Happy Harry Gun Owner - unscrew both ends, clean, screw back together. These things weren't sealed and nitrogen filled. Ditto crosshair replacement - a delicate operation for sure, and best done under magnification, and .0005", .001", etc. tungsten wire is cheaply available. Try doing that with a new "state of the art" scope.

When using the scope, keep the turrets turning freely by judicious oiling. If they're tight/sluggish turning now, then a spot of Kroil to loosen them up. Wise to pull the mounts off the scope and give them a good cleaning, especially the little plunger and its spring that keeps the scope tube tensioned against the windage and elevation knobs. When shooting with it a good idea is to lightly grease or oil the scope tube in the areas where it rubs against the support points.

I see it doesn't employ a recoil spring, so don't forget to pull it back into battery after each shot. It won't move much under recoil from a .22, but it'll move nonetheless. Savvy centerfire shooters removed that spring because the slam-bam effect of it putting the scope back into battery after the shot was the chief source of the delicate crosshairs breaking. Rimfire guys don't have that issue and they're the guys who benefit from having the recoil spring in place.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Looks like it came together ok. Kinda surprised it was d/t'ed so far forward on the barrel, but it is what it is. Looks to be spaced more than the standard 7.2" apart, or do my eyes deceive me? (7.2" gives 1/4MOA clicks on the turrets, and was a standard protocol back in the day. Farther spacing = less than 1/4MOA clicks obviously.)

I'll guess that the spottiness of the lens was external dirt? Really the only major stumbling block with these old Targetspot/Unertl/Fecker scope lenses is sometimes they'll delaminate which then requires the services of a pro scope doctor. External and internal cleaning is certainly within the province of Happy Harry Gun Owner - unscrew both ends, clean, screw back together. These things weren't sealed and nitrogen filled. Ditto crosshair replacement - a delicate operation for sure, and best done under magnification, and .0005", .001", etc. tungsten wire is cheaply available. Try doing that with a new "state of the art" scope.

When using the scope, keep the turrets turning freely by judicious oiling. If they're tight/sluggish turning now, then a spot of Kroil to loosen them up. Wise to pull the mounts off the scope and give them a good cleaning, especially the little plunger and its spring that keeps the scope tube tensioned against the windage and elevation knobs. When shooting with it a good idea is to lightly grease or oil the scope tube in the areas where it rubs against the support points.

I see it doesn't employ a recoil spring, so don't forget to pull it back into battery after each shot. It won't move much under recoil from a .22, but it'll move nonetheless. Savvy centerfire shooters removed that spring because the slam-bam effect of it putting the scope back into battery after the shot was the chief source of the delicate crosshairs breaking. Rimfire guys don't have that issue and they're the guys who benefit from having the recoil spring in place.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Your Kroil recommendation is a good one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Reason I suggested dismantling and cleaning the plunger and spring is if it endured a half-century+ of never having been serviced, resulting in the plunger being sluggish it won't bear evenly/consistently against the turrets, making adjustment an unpredictable thing and allowing the scope to rattle minutely in the mount. Not good for the nth degree of accuracy.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I have cleaned it up already.

I do want to find a spring for it, but I'm waiting for sight blocks first from Steve Earle.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 14,398 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,218
Posts18,543,778
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.