Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I did not know until recently that the receiver is investment cast but the bolt is forged.

Has an M-16 style extractor which is vastly superior to the Sako.

Sako Extractor or RIfle?

HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a recent vanguard in 30-06, shoots 3/4" groups fairly easy and handles well. I like the two stage trigger and one piece bolt. IMO great rifles for the money.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Am I the only guy left who likes some heft in a rifle. One pound in a rifle does not make it unpackable but it sure helps from getting the snot knocked out of you every time you pull the trigger. A 30-06 in a light rifle will catch most people’s attention quick. A heavier wood stocked one seems to help quite a bit. Edk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm certainly not afraid of an SS Vanguard as a general-purpose hunting rifle, especially with the HACT 2-stage trigger. I put a new trigger spring in an SS 257Wby a couple years ago and it makes for a solid rifle with good ergonomics. Shoots well with 115gr Partitions and is my main "loaner" rifle for friends and family.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
I'm certainly not afraid of an SS Vanguard as a general-purpose hunting rifle, especially with the HACT 2-stage trigger. I put a new trigger spring in an SS 257Wby a couple years ago and it makes for a solid rifle with good ergonomics. Shoots well with 115gr Partitions and is my main "loaner" rifle for friends and family.

Does Weatherby offer the V2 in SS now? I haven't seen one in SS in any of the local gun shops, but have seen a couple of the Weatherguards with the gray Cerakote finish.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JPro

Does Weatherby offer the V2 in SS now? I haven't seen one in SS in any of the local gun shops, but have seen a couple of the Weatherguards with the gray Cerakote finish.

Not JPro but no they do not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sadly, I think SS is no longer offered. Just fancy spray paint.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I did not know until recently that the receiver is investment cast but the bolt is forged.

Sako Extractor or RIfle?

The receivers are forged according to Brownells.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The new wyoming models are way better rifles. Check one out. They blow the original and the v2 California crap away.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sandlapper

Sako Extractor or RIfle?

They are not forged anymore just the bolt. You showed Howa specs and that might be dated.

The new wyoming models are way better rifles. Check one out. They blow the original and the v2 California crap away.

They might be assembled in Wyoming. What is the serial number prefix ?

IC B3

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The ONLY reason I don't have a Vanguard/Howa (or two) is that they refuse to make them lefty. I pretty much like everything else about them.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote10

In what specific ways are the Wyoming Vanguards better than those made when Weatherby's HQ was in California?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Options, stocks, bolt shroud don't have the huge red and white painted dots for fire and safe, better trigger to name a few. The new stuff in Sheridan is the best stuff they've ever put out. But remember, it's an opinion. I've bought enough stuff from weatherby to tell the difference. At least from my perspective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All my vanguards were the older S1 models........

Damgud values then.......accurate buggers too.

I have the newer 2 stage trigger on a Howa. That was a good idea.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had one of the early, really pretty, Vanguards, a VGX(?) if I remember correctly. It was in 30-06 and was as accurate as it was pretty. Years of hunting with it took some of the pretty off of it, but that thing remained really accurate! Had others as well over the years and the fact I don't have one at the moment, is no reflection on the rifle at all.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VGX
Mine is before that, but the same.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

In what specific ways are the Wyoming Vanguards better than those made when Weatherby's HQ was in California?
As you have correctly stated, the new Sheridan Vanguard Griptonite stock design is light years ahead of any synthetic stock design offered during the Atascadero/Paso Robles era!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 3dtestify

As you have correctly stated, the new Sheridan Vanguard Griptonite stock design is light years ahead of any synthetic stock design offered during the Atascadero/Paso Robles era!

Weatherby has been putting the Griptonite stocks on the V2 since at least 2014 and AFAIK they didn't move to Wyoming until 2019.

I'd agree that the pre-Griptonite synthetic stocks weren't nearly as good a design as the Griptonies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sandlapper

They are not forged anymore just the bolt. You showed Howa specs and that might be dated.

Catalog 74 2022-2023

https://www.brownells.com/order-a-catalog/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sako Extractor or RIfle?

The newest catalog I have, 2022, says the receiver is machined, which can mean several things of course. That said, I see no signs of casting on the Carbon Mini I bought not long ago, so perhaps it's machined from a billet of some sort, type of billet unknown.

Tests of the receivers of Ruger 77s showed they were stronger than others machined from bar stock, but any of the common production methods can produce good actions. Wayne York of oregunsmithingllc says that Howas are very precisely made, and works with them a good bit for his customs. They are not, IME, the smoothest actions out of the box, but they’ve been otherwise trouble-free for me, and I appreciate the combination of traditional configuration and modest price, whether Howa-branded or Vanguard. Like many others, I wish the SS versions they sell in OZ were available here, but that’s likely the decision taken by Legacy, the importer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,630
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.