Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Those beautiful lines of a Marlin 336, with open sights.....every time I think about puttin a scope on it, I just can't bring myself to doing it. Are there any scopes that don't just foul up the lines of a lever-action rifle?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
IMO that is totally personal!!!

Nothing like making the hunt more interesting with iron sights!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Straight objective tube scopes look best in my opinion.Only problem is they don't gather light as well as others. I currently have two Leupold 4X on mine and think they look OK.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes. But you don't need one.

[Linked Image]

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Two seasons ago I killed a spike bull elk with my .356win M94. It was wearing a Leupold 1-4, and I definitely would not have had a shot if I did not have a scope mounted, it was too dark to see a front sight at first legal light.
A couple years before, I killed a moose with the same rifle, at exactly 250 steps away. Hit it 2x out of three shots, both in the lungs. Would not have tried that shot without a scope. I used that rifle for years with a receiver sight, and I much prefer how it handled without a scope, but success beats convenience for me most times. The scope has stayed on.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Go for it.

I had 3 good bucks I had to let go the last day of deer season because while I could see horns with the binoculars I couldn't see them with the iron sights on my .45-70 marlin. I was in heavy brush, there were bucks and does both, milling around, changing positions. The first buck i saw, I put horns on, good rack. dropped the 'nocs, brought up the gun, decided to slow down and take a 2nd look to confirm. Wasn't a buck anymore, they'd changed positions and I'd dang near shot a doe I didn't have a tag for. After that I got even more cautious. Never could get a shot I was confident of. Even with a 4X they'd have been easy, real easy.

So, IMHO it's not only ok, I'd recommend it. Personally, I'm done with iron sights on rifles.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a leupold 4x compact on my 35 Rem and a old Redfield on my 45-70. I use one of those when I'm going to need a scope. Then when I can use open sights I use my model 71 .348 Win, 444, or 32 Sp. I guess for me it boils down to where I hunt. The post above is something to think about for sure. Feed the lever guns!!!

Joseph

Joseph
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Just my $.02 and I don't see too well either but I'm going to resist putting a scope on my levers (Browning B-92 .44 mag, Winchester Model 71 Deluxe .348 Win, Winchester repro 92 in .357, Browning Model 53 in .32-20 and Winchester Tribute 9422 Mag)because it just doesn't look/feel right to me. I did manage to get a deer this year and as long as I can still do that and shoot squirrels with the rimfire I hope I can stay with the factory irons for awhile at least...but no beef with those who scope...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope, not heresy.. though I consider it heresy to d&t any old lever that isn't already mangled. My eyes suck and I don't want to risk wounding an animal, so always a scope for me. Thrilled that others are good enough to hunt without though!

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have an old Weaver 2.5 on a Marlin .357. Shoots good, sits low and looks good. On other lever guns I have more modern scopes. Don't look as slick, but better for my eyes.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I like both, so I keep a Browning BLR with a scope on it, and I am far more deadly with it, then any of my non scoped leveractions, when the light starts to fade or distance starts to stretch a little, plus unless at very close range, I do better on running shots with a low powered scope, also.

I wouldn't have any problems scoping a Marlin, they were designed for it, and they don't carry quite a well as a Pre-64 Model 94 Winchester, anyway. Some of my guns like my Model 94's, my model 71's will never get a scope, but I have a nice little straight gripped Marlin 30/30 that I am considering mounting a scope on.

A 2x7 Leupold works pretty good on leveractions, and so does the 1.5x5 Leupold, but larger objective of the 2x7 is brighter at dusk. A fixed 4 power would be good too. Putting too bulky a scope on a leveraction would be a mistake, IMHO.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I won't own a rifle without a scope, and I prefer a Zeiss. [Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My old Marlin 336 st. grip carbine has a 3X Leupold in QD Talley mounts and it looks fine to me..I think the Marlins are nice with a scope as they were designed for scope use, so take advantage of it..You may need to shoot a doe in the head or a turkey, that scope would be handy for that.

I would never scope my Winchesters as they are not designed for scope use and I really like iron sights anyway..

These guns are ment to be used up to 200 yards and I don't need a scope for 200 yards and under.

Bottom line is the option is yours, do what you want to do, why ask?

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I won't own a rifle without a scope, and I prefer a Zeiss. [Linked Image]

Nice mother-in-law picture... wink

A friend had a Marlin levergun with a Zeiss 4x -- he used to joke that the scope was worth more than twice what the rifle was, but after looking through his scope after sunset I could sure see the advantages over iron sights!

He had made a nice traditonal-looking leather lace on "thingy" to give himself a good solid cheek weld because it was an older rifle with quite a low stock.

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To my way of thinking, installing a scope on a "traditional" lever gun spoils what it was intended for. Quick shooting. As for the Savage 99 and BLR, they are fine for scopes,just don't want them on my Winchesters or Marlins. I've got bolt guns for scope hunting, but to each his own.
Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course it's heresy! However, knowing what can happen to eyes and often as they age, I don't always think it is wrong to commit such a heinous act. I'll quit shooting my M94s before I scope them. However, the blockier Marlins I have are not so spoiled in balance by the addition of a small single power scope and I have scoped them from time to time.

Less svelte rifles or non-traditional types like the Sav 99 and BLR don't fall into my opinionated grouping of non-scopers. However, I still prefer scopes that don't rival the Hubble space telescope.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You can't scope a winchester. It just shouldnt be done, ruins the handling. Marlins are fine for those who wish to. (although I wouldn't personally scope a Marlin either.)
The Winchester rifles weren't intended for it.
(For example, I dont put scopes on Lee Enfields either. They weren't designed for them either.)
In a backwards way, I have a Sako that doesnt have open sights. I hvant gone and put some on even as a back up, although Ive thought of it, becasue those Finnish engineers never intended that rifle to be shot with anything except a scope.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One of these days you will not have the eyes of youth and you will still want to hunt with your lever action. Then you will see why we old guys put scopes on our LE.

You can trust me on this.

W

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have a Pecar 4x32 in a Weaver Pivot Mount on my Winchester 88, but I would not even consider it on my Winchester 94BB. On the latter I've got a Williams FP, but I seriously thinking on taking that away and putting the old irons back.

Peter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's really personal preference. I certainly think it kills the handling characteristics of them, but you do what you need to do. I have some that have them and some that don't.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I put the scope on the Marlin 1894 for a hunt to Indiana. I think it will come back off now that I am back. I think it just "looks" a lot better and handles better this way.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you need one, then by all means, mount one. I chose my lever rifles because I love how they pack and I love the challenge of open sights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have rifles set up both ways, but at 47 my 'iron' sights are peeps. One with a globe front. Caint quite do the original sight thing very well anymore.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At my age (almost 50) my eyes demand a scope. I do put smaller scopes on my lever actions compared to my bolt action rifles. I have a 6x fixed on my 30-30 and a 4x fixed for my 45-70. But I have not been able to allow myself to put a scope on my 39A. I don't hunt with the 39A so it's not as critical for a casual target gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Klik,
At 55 my eyes aren't what the used to be, but with the invention of fiber optics combined with a peep sight I do OK. When I can't see these, I'll prolly quit hunting.
Virgil B.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You might ... want to take a look at the: A O Sight Systems, Lever Scope mount & The Leupold M8 (2 1/2) Scout Scope combo.

This stuff's specifically designed for Marlin & Winchester lever-guns.

When used with a set of Weaver 'low rings', the result is very compact; the Leupold intermediate eye-relief scope is only 10" in length and adds very little weight to the rifle- and does not adversly affect the handling or the looks of your fine lever action rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call it denial, if you will (although sitting in front of the puter with strong reading glasses is simply my reality - no denying that), but I think there are many good choices to be had in sights other than factory opens before one needs to concede the "need" for a scope on a lever. At 50, I certainly know what the loss of my youthful vision means. However, I have found, since I yet have good distance vision, that a rear peep has extended my ability to use "opens." I also know that the use of a second aperture on the front - a globe sight- can allow very functional use of iron sights for target work.

Handgun sights are another story. However, I have learned from them, even though my eyes and brain tell me that they are quite fuzzy, that, with practice, I can still use them in a functional and productive manner. I just need to practice more. Imagine that. I get - make that "need" - to do again, what I did as a youngster; get out and shoot more. It is less of an option than it was when my vision was better. And who said getting older has no benefits?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
These old eyes use all the advantages I can get.

[Linked Image]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess my feeling on the M94s is that when they are the multi-purpose "lawn and woods" versions, the ones set up both for hunting and golfing - they have the tee-off divot in the receiver wink laugh - then do whatever you do with them. I have intentionally avoided those for personal reasons - not just because I don't golf laugh .

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This of course is the "heresy" option...

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Just another old guy with Presbyopia here. I have scopes on all my lever guns. I am sold on the El Paso Weaver V4.5 20mm variable scope, and I love the old Denver Redfield 5 Star 20mm low power variables.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have weaver 2 peice grand slam bases and Leupold quick release scope rings on all of my 336's. Open iron sights, then return to zero scope (1.5x5 Leupy) mounts. Best of both worlds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree that leverguns look and handle better without a scope. But as I get older I find that I can't be accurate enough with open sights. (I can stay on an 8 inch shoot-n-see at 100 yds, really in about 6", but that's about it.) Aperture sights are a good compromise, as has been suggested. But, I still can shoot much more precisely with even a low-power scope.

I think a smaller scope in the 2-4x range with a 20 mm objective looks and handles best. A compact of some kind might also be a contender. But, you may find that you would like a bit more magnification. In that case you just have to live with the mismatched looks and be happy with better performance.

Good shooting!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by marlinlover
I have weaver 2 peice grand slam bases and Leupold quick release scope rings on all of my 336's. Open iron sights, then return to zero scope (1.5x5 Leupy) mounts. Best of both worlds.

Now that's an idea! I hadn't really considered the quick-release rings due to accuracy issues, but being as we're talking lever actions and not long range F-class rigs I don't see why they won't work just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I scope my lever I opt for the small compact scopes (Leupy 1-4x20, 1.5-5x20, 2-7x28, 2.5 etc) mounted as low as possible. They do not ruin the handling qualities of the levergun and are much better than open sights for aging eyes. I like a Williams FP peer with hi vis front sight as well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 51 I can still use a peep sight with success. I just hate the aesthetics of a scope on a levergun, other than a BLR or Savage. I have bolt guns with scopes when I feel the need to really reach out there.

That said, use what you want and need to!!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
At 51 I can still use a peep sight with success. I just hate the aesthetics of a scope on a levergun, other than a BLR or Savage. I have bolt guns with scopes when I feel the need to really reach out there.

That said, use what you want and need to!!!

I agree with McCann, well said.

Yes, scopes on lever guns is a heresy!!

Oh yes, I have 5 or 6 heresys in the safe.

Bushnell Scopechief 1.5-4.5 on a Mossberg 472. It is my rifle. I didn't buy it for it's looks. I didn't buy it to hang it on the wall. I bought it to shoot deer.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
New Leupold FX 2.5 on a Marlin 1894S .44 Mag. I think it looks like it belongs there.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I find nothing wrong with scopes on levers. Makes all of them much better 150 yd rifles.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Scopes are anathema on a levergun, especially if handy carry, balance, and clean lines are important to you. If you hunt in the thick stuff at reasonable ranges the iron sights are fine. Go with a ghost ring rear sight instead. If ranges and eyes beg for a scope, the Leupie FX 2.5 looks more in place than all the others and answers the mail for more precise shot placement and 50+ year old eyes. Mannlicher's setup is a nice one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if it interfers with ones access to the hammer and it requires installation of one of those offset thingys. The eye piece on my Leupold 2.5X Scout unit atop my Marlin 1895 sits about 4 to 5 inches in front of the hammer. I'll try to snap a photo tonight.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/31/08.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's the promised photo. Not too artistic as the light was low when I arrived home. I had never contemplated owning a lever unit until I saw the Scout scope setup. The front of the base anchors in the rear sight dovetail and rear of the base anchors to the front scope mount holes on the receiver. In my mind the ideal brush gun as access to the hammer area is not impeded at all.

[Linked Image]
1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 10/31/08.

1Minute
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Of course it is heresy. Just like mixing Martells with ginger ale or putting catsup on a New York steak.

I've got dozens of scoped rifles and I like them for what they were developed to do. But to put a scope on a 94, a 303 Savage in the 99 or anything like a 66 or a 73 is just like putting flaming decals on a Bently. Can be done, but should it be?

Wayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a 1964 336 RC straight stock in 35 Rem recently, and took the old Weaver 2 1/2X (post reticle) scope off my 336 Texan to put on it. Worked out great. But I had the 30-30 Texan at the range last week and I was amazed at how well I shot it offhand at 100 yards. I was dinging the 100-yard steel plate on almost every shot with the iron sights. I think I'll leave it alone or Scout it up with an XS rail and ghost ring rear. I can always add a scope in QR rings later if I feel the need.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...The straight answer is "NO". I've got a Weaver K-1 on my Winchester WranglerII 94AE in 38/55. It beats any peep sight I've ever used for quick target acquision, with no magnification it's lightning fast, super wide field of view , and in close cover it's deadly, even on running game! With 65 year old eyes it's just what the doctor ordered..

....Savage 99F in 284 Winchester carries a vintage Redfield scope, and although a bit heavy for my taste, the old Savage is a great old gun that delivers the best of nostalga with modern performance. A couple years back it dropped a fat doe for the table at 357 yards, my longest shot ever in Georgia.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My Savage 99s are scoped and they are my saddle guns when I get serious...

My 25-35 Win. SRC has iron sights and I hunt deer with it almost every year out behind my house if I draw a permit..I enjoy that. I also have a family 30-30 Win. SRC that I hunt with also..

I have a marlin 30-30 with a 1x4 Leupold scope that is a nice very accurate gun..

I also have a bunch of bolt actions...

Do what you want to do, why ask? You'll just end up more confused than ever if you read all the pros and cons you get on the internet about any subject! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't like 'em; but who cares what I like? If all I owned was a lever action I may be singin a different song. I love my peep sight over a '94.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sacrilidge on an a pre-'64 Winchester but post '64's that are DT and newer Marlins all get 4x scopes on my end.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I would never drill and tap a collectible lever gun. Generally, scopes would look awful on 19th century lever guns. But, Marlin 336s, Savage 99s, BLR's all look just fine with scopes provided it isn't the Hubble telescope. In fact, I think a 336 or a Savage 99 looks naked without a low-end variable.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As Ray said, it's up to you. Personally, I don't scope any levers. I have a M70 .270 Win. for such duties. My main lever sports a Wiiliams FP and works just fine.

Looking at jbmi's picture above, the Marlin second-from-the-bottom is what I see when I have nightmares about scoped levers. wink The see-through mounts, not to mention the ultimate Marlin sin: A sling stud erroneously screwed into the decorative Marlin Bullseye. Egad!!!

Scott

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree, I can't stand see through mounts. Still don't see the problem with scopes in general on levers though. Worked for me on Monday.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have two Marlin levers both scoped. One with a vintage Redfield 2.5 widefield the other with a of all things a shotgun 1.5X5 scope I picked up pretty cheaply. Both scopes look good and can pick out deer in the brush I can no longer see with iron and naked eyes. The family has taken three deer with these rifles. I know what you mean about the clean lines of iron sighted levers (especially on a Winchester). But I don't feel the Scoped marlins lose any dignity at all!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Here's the promised photo. Not too artistic as the light was low when I arrived home. I had never contemplated owning a lever unit until I saw the Scout scope setup. The front of the base anchors in the rear sight dovetail and rear of the base anchors to the front scope mount holes on the receiver. In my mind the ideal brush gun as access to the hammer area is not impeded at all.

[Linked Image]
1Minute

I Minute, is that an AO Scout Mount?

I have one on my 336 in .35 Rem with the Leupold and I'm wondering which set of the mounts slots your scope sits in. My front mount can either go in the 4th back from the front of the 6th. The 4th gives a little better sight picture but seems muzzle heavy. The 6th balances better. Ideal would be the 5th but the mounting screws are in that one.

FWIW my barrel was cut back to 18.5".

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by atkinson
My Savage 99s are scoped and they are my saddle guns when I get serious...

My 25-35 Win. SRC has iron sights and I hunt deer with it almost every year out behind my house if I draw a permit..I enjoy that. I also have a family 30-30 Win. SRC that I hunt with also..

I have a marlin 30-30 with a 1x4 Leupold scope that is a nice very accurate gun..

I also have a bunch of bolt actions...

Do what you want to do, why ask? You'll just end up more confused than ever if you read all the pros and cons you get on the internet about any subject! smile

I agree with Ray, do what YOU want. When some one else starts buying my gun for me then they can tell me how to use them. I have eight Marlins, six wear scopes. I like the old "El Paso" Weaver K3 or K4s on the older Marlins, they fit the guns and me better.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well I might add that a scope add little to a 30-30 as its a 250 yard rifle at best. I don't really need a scope for a 200 or 250 yard shot, but I learned to shoot iron sights from childhood and in the high desert country where some shots were long..Many of todays baby boomers learned to shoot with scopes and they would be best advised to stay with them, or take a lot of time learning to shoot irons off hand.

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My personal opinion, and its mine ONLY, is NEVER!!!!!! If I need a scoped rifle I have some of those too but they are not lever actions. Hard to ruin the looks of a bolt action---they are cluncky to look at in the very least, so throw a scope on it. But I wouldnt ruin the beautiful lines of a classic hammerless rifle like the 99.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Maybe the Williams peep fire sight is an option for the traditionalist. They make them for different models and most require no drilling fitting in the factory holes.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com

[Linked Image]

Last edited by fatjack34; 11/30/08.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Tim Skinner makes wonderful sights as well!

http://www.skinnersights.com

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I approach this topic pragmatic.

On the pig drive and dog work gun its Ghost/Post for field of view and quickness. 1895 G .45-70 above. A similar rifle rests in AK for work.
On the roe deer rifle, 336 .30-30 below, a have a 2,5 Weaver. This even so I am quite young (still) and have exellent vision. For roe deer (~ 35 pounds) I find the scope most helpful.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I put a 3-9x40 on my Winchester 94 this year, and shot the largest deer I've ever seen on the property I hunt (a large 8-pointer), and a bobcat about 5 seconds later. One of the best hunting days in my life. The deer was 179 paces and the bobcat 109. No way I could have done that with my open sights, which are HiViz fiber optic sights I installed about 4 years ago.

It is heresy to mount a scope on a 94, if you have to drill and tap the receiver. I used an S&K side-mount though, which they just started producing. It mounted easily into an existing action screw slot and the 2 receiver sight slots. Check it out... http://www.scopemounts.com

Last edited by june6th1944; 12/27/08.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I have a Weaver 1-3 variable on my 30-30 336 and a Leupold 2-7X33 VX2 on my .243 Savage 99.

Scopes increase the practical capabilities of any rifle. As for the 99,..it's as accurate as a quality bolt rifle and the .243's useful range is far beyond most people's ability to shoot with open sights.

In my opinion, a rifle is incomplete without a scope.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Those beautiful lines of a Marlin 336, with open sights.....every time I think about puttin a scope on it, I just can't bring myself to doing it. Are there any scopes that don't just foul up the lines of a lever-action rifle?
To me it is heresy. They are meant to be fast handling rifles. You can make full use of their range (most of them) with a set of Lyman peep sights. Want a scoped rifle, look to a bolt action. That's the way I feel about it. YMMV.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
While I will never put a scope on my old 92 Winchester I can see the reason why one would put a scope on a Lever Gun. When you get older your eyesight goes so scope up. My "new" Savage 99 looks great with a scope.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Scope

[Linked Image]

No Scope

[Linked Image]

It's all a matter of personal preference.

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.
Theodore Roosevelt

Dean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I didnt read through all the replies so someone else has probably answered this but a scope with a 20mm objective,usually looks fine on a lever rifle. Something like the Leupold 1-5X 20mm vari X lll is a fine place to start.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a 1.5-5x20 Pro-Diamond shotgun scope on my .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. Works good for me and looks good. I have replaced the rear sight blade to a One Ragged Hole peep on some of my levers. I like them, but some folks don't. Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.