Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
If it were me, I'd probably keep your old Case. Sam Olson would say buy something older without DPF and DEF. I looked for one before I bought the Kubota and gave up.

Yep, I'd keep the current red one Barry!

Our green tractors range from 2002-2010 models, 4-5k hours on each one which is only halfway close to being 'wore' out. I plan on keeping them forever. Well maybe not the newest one....lol

I'd look for a little cream puff like this but of course a trade would be impossible.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...e-6430-premium-100-hp-to-174-hp-tractors

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
If it were me, I'd probably keep your old Case. Sam Olson would say buy something older without DPF and DEF. I looked for one before I bought the Kubota and gave up.

Yep, I'd keep the current red one Barry!

Our green tractors range from 2002-2010 models, 4-5k hours on each one which is only halfway close to being 'wore' out. I plan on keeping them forever. Well maybe not the newest one....lol

I'd look for a little cream puff like this but of course a trade would be impossible.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...e-6430-premium-100-hp-to-174-hp-tractors

That's a sweet tractor for sure! Wish I could find one local, and with a loader...gotta have a loader.

I figured you'd have the gremlins worked outta that latest one you got by now, Sam. wink

I'm sure not convinced the new JD's are worth the extra $$ over a competitor's top of the line series tractor. I'll explore all options, but it'd take some pretty good convincing.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I'm sure not convinced the new JD's are worth the extra $$ over a competitor's top of the line series tractor.

From a Deere owner, they’re not.

Unless you’re needing expenses to keep from paying more income taxes I’d hang onto old Red. Especially if there’s nothing really wrong with it.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I'm sure not convinced the new JD's are worth the extra $$ over a competitor's top of the line series tractor.

From a Deere owner, they’re not.

Unless you’re needing expenses to keep from paying more income taxes I’d hang onto old Red. Especially if there’s nothing really wrong with it.

That might be exactly what I do.

I know there's some things on the horizon I'm going to have to repair or replace, but overall, it's a solid tractor.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of things on the horizon?

Just wondering…

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have bought one new tractor in the 50 plus years that I've been using one. I just can't put a pencil to it and justify the cost. If I farmed thousands of acres, I'd probably feel a lot differently. We barely put a 100 hours a year on the biggest one, a 115 HP NH. The little 45 HP NH gets used at least a couple of times a week, but more piddling jobs than hard work. Prices on the new ones scare me even thinking about them.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muleshoe
What kind of things on the horizon?

Just wondering…

The DPF is due to be replaced at any time now. Most have trouble before the hours I have on my tractor, but I use this tractor mostly running 1900 rpm's non stop, all day long, and when the DPF comes on, it does a good job of cleaning.

Those who use their tractors with a DPF for short jobs, on and off in a few minutes... like to run put out a couple of bales of hay, etc., have more clogging, and have to replace it sooner. Dealer told me to replace it is $5k. eek

There's a couple of other things like the clutch dump can get jumpy at times. That can be a simple computer fix, or breaking the tractor in half to get at the issue. Tractor I have is highly computerized. I don't see that as a necessarily good thing.

I use the power shuttle shift from forward to reverse when I can, and use the clutch as little as possible. That was hard to do at first, since your first inclination is to step on the clutch when reversing directions. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barry, if I had the money for a new tractor I would probably go with the M series from John Deere.

That or the comparable red version.

I'd stay away from the fancy JD R series.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
sometimes newer isn't better-an example is a friend/client had a MFWD 7410 JD he used daily for cattle operation-haying, feeding, etc. Made a little money one year and decided to trade it in on a 7420. Electronics made that tractor a lemon, it was in the shop more than it was home. Before the warranty was up he traded it in on a 7430 and got another good tractor. Says he wishes he kept the 7410

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Barry, if I had the money for a new tractor I would probably go with the M series from John Deere.

That or the comparable red version.

I'd stay away from the fancy JD R series.

The JD I was looking at is a 5115M. That's the one that is $26k more than the comparable New Holland.

New Holland=Case.... Same=Same.

I want a moderately advanced tractor, but some of the models are just totally crazy with everything being computer operated. Computers are bad Ju-Ju.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Although I am far from being a good mechanic, I prefer to be able to work on my equipment if at all possible. Tractors with computers are something that I can't fix.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Although I am far from being a good mechanic, I prefer to be able to work on my equipment if at all possible. Tractors with computers are something that I can't fix.

Exactly.

Not even a good tractor mechanic can work on them either. It has to be dealer specific.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I’ve got a 60 horse Massey Ferguson, I only have a 100 hours on it but it’s a beast. I’m not sure how big Massey makes their tractors

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DPF on a tractor is about the dumbest idea ever.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
DPF on a tractor is about the dumbest idea ever.

DPF & DEF are both equally stupid.

My F-350 has both! frown

When that DPF comes on, your miles per gallon plummet. It runs up hotter and faster when it kicks on. You can watch the mileage dropping by the minute.

EGR valves are the devil's spawn. mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What I meant is that it’s even more dummer on a tractor. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
What I meant is that it’s even more dummer on a tractor. wink

Oh, I agree.

Govt mandated. It's gotta have it, per the govt.

BUT the customer pays for it up front. And then when the DPF clogs up, some of those replacement bills can hit over $5k. mad

If the govt wants you to have it, why don't THEY pay for the DPF, DEF, and any associated repairs?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Govt mandated. It's gotta have it, per the govt……….If the govt wants you to have it, why don't THEY pay for the DPF, DEF, and any associated repairs?

That’s pretty funny!

Wait, a joke right?

Black Cows Matter!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
some of the reasons stated on here for the reason of in particular
of emissions upkeep and the electronics on these newer tractors is one reason very nice older machines are bringing very good money people want away from that stuff. I have quite a few green tractors from the old 30 -55 series and then some 00-20 series . the 20 series is already getting too much electronic stuff for myself I try to buy things now at 10 series and older ..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy used.jmho

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 20 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.