Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bullhead
Buy used.jmho

I've got "used"...

Looking to get 10 years down the road, God willing, and sell it, and some other stuff I have in my operation, and not spend a ton of money on repairs between now and then.

Another major consideration is down time.

It really doesn't matter what kind of repair you have, once a repair is needed, not only does parts availability become a crap shoot, but the time in the service dept before it's fixed can be the difference between sink or swim.

It's not a good scenario today. I have one tractor in the shop needing a water pump. It's been there for over 3 weeks now. Parts weren't an issue. But workload and getting someone to actually work on it is.

It's really surprisingly BAD with the labor problems service depts are having now... I pulled the trigger on a new tractor last week. Dealer, is a friend of mine BTW. I told him I'd like to pick it up the first part of this week. He said they have a stack of tractors to "make ready" right now. Hell, I'll be lucky to get it sometime NEXT week. eek

It used to be when you bought a new tractor, you went outside 30 minutes after making the deal, and it was loaded on your trailer, washed, shiny, and full of diesel.. No more, it seems.

Hell, you can't even see the interior for all the paper and plastic wrap.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barry, what size NH is that. Also, what transmission does it have. I have a NH TS115A, made about 2007 I believe. It has the 16 speed Electro Command tranny. I don't really care for it, although it is nice to run through the gears the way it does.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Barry, what size NH is that. Also, what transmission does it have. I have a NH TS115A, made about 2007 I believe. It has the 16 speed Electro Command tranny. I don't really care for it, although it is nice to run through the gears the way it does.

It's a 110 Powerstar. New Holland's mid-range tractor line. I don't need the fancy stuff their T-5 line has, but don't want the "economy" Workmaster line either. I'm in that tractor way too much in rugged conditions to have a weekend warrior economy line tractor.

The transmission is a 12x12 power shuttle. I have a similar power shuttle transmission in my current model. You don't have to clutch to change directions. Just move the lever forward or reverse, and tractor slows, stops and changes direction.

This newer version even allows you to have the gear and RPM's set that you want, then just move the lever in the direction you want to go, and it will slowly take off then get up to speed in that direction, no clutching. (Yes, that takes a bit of getting used to... My first instinct is to step on the clutch. grin )

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the shuttle shift, and MY first instinct is to clutch the tractor. I like it for some things, not so much for others. I like the blue tractors, having had a bunch of them, including 3 now. I think you'll like it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've got the shuttle shift, and MY first instinct is to clutch the tractor. I like it for some things, not so much for others. I like the blue tractors, having had a bunch of them, including 3 now. I think you'll like it.

I've been happy with my New Holland loader. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
SOB!

So last week I made the deal on that tractor. Asked the owner of the dealership if I could pick it up the first part of this week... (I mean, that's pretty reasonable, right?)

He said probably not, that was a service dept. issue, as they have to get it in and run the dyno with it, check fluid levels, wash it, put in tire sealant, etc. Owner told me to get ahold of the service mgr and put it in line and tell him what I wanted done.

Checked with him today, and he said it'd be more than 2 weeks before they can service the new tractor. shocked shocked

I told him I had a huge project waiting on that tractor, and needed it sooner.... Sorry. We have a stack of new tractors sold that we have to service.

SOB! mad

Last tractor I bought was a one day turn around.

They can't get help. The help they get don't show up for work, or sit around on their phones half the day.

Something's gotta give. You can't run a country like that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barry, I went to work in the Trane air conditioning factory at Clarksville TN. right after I was married. Worked there for about 12 years at night, and farmed by day. Talked to a guy the other day that I'd worked with back in the day, He's retired now, but told me that they were so desperate for help that they were hiring jail immates who were on a work release program. It's pathetic that people don't want to work. You can thank Uncle Joe for that.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Barry, I went to work in the Trane air conditioning factory at Clarksville TN. right after I was married. Worked there for about 12 years at night, and farmed by day. Talked to a guy the other day that I'd worked with back in the day, He's retired now, but told me that they were so desperate for help that they were hiring jail immates who were on a work release program. It's pathetic that people don't want to work. You can thank Uncle Joe for that.

Yeah, Covid taught people to stay home and make more money than working, and then add Biden into the mix, and people went without tractor, or any other kind of inventory to sell. Add Biden's dept of transportation, and it's totally hosed. Parts waiting months to get shipped, received at port and distributed...

You can't starve an economy and win anything.

It's not over yet.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Get what ever turns your crank, I personally don’t like a tractor made after 1985, for the simple fact you can work on them, plenty of parts for them. Don’t want any DEF, electronic fuel injection and all the plastic fenders and hoods. My brother and I have John Deere and Ferguson and Massey Ferguson , simple to maintain. Just my .02

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
How does CaseIH, Case New Holland all fit together?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Bullhead
Buy used.jmho
I've got "used"...

Looking to get 10 years down the road, God willing, and sell it, and some other stuff I have in my operation, and not spend a ton of money on repairs between now and then.

Another major consideration is down time.

It really doesn't matter what kind of repair you have, once a repair is needed, not only does parts availability become a crap shoot, but the time in the service dept before it's fixed can be the difference between sink or swim.

It's not a good scenario today. I have one tractor in the shop needing a water pump. It's been there for over 3 weeks now. Parts weren't an issue. But workload and getting someone to actually work on it is.

It's really surprisingly BAD with the labor problems service depts are having now... I pulled the trigger on a new tractor last week. Dealer, is a friend of mine BTW. I told him I'd like to pick it up the first part of this week. He said they have a stack of tractors to "make ready" right now. Hell, I'll be lucky to get it sometime NEXT week. eek

It used to be when you bought a new tractor, you went outside 30 minutes after making the deal, and it was loaded on your trailer, washed, shiny, and full of diesel.. No more, it seems.

Hell, you can't even see the interior for all the paper and plastic wrap.

mmmm. New tractor smell! 😂

Hope you get it and it works out for you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Richard, I believe that Fiat owns CNH, which has the Case-IH and New Holland brand equipment. I'm not a Case or IH fan, so can't really tell you about their history, but New Holland bough Ford out back in the 90's, and then after a few years, NH was bought out by Fiat. That's why so many of the Case-IH and NH tractors are pretty much the same.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Richard, I believe that Fiat owns CNH, which has the Case-IH and New Holland brand equipment. I'm not a Case or IH fan, so can't really tell you about their history, but New Holland bough Ford out back in the 90's, and then after a few years, NH was bought out by Fiat. That's why so many of the Case-IH and NH tractors are pretty much the same.

That's it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Finally took delivery of the new tractor yesterday afternoon.

It's not the same one I'd made a deal on about 3 weeks ago. My dealer couldn't get it in to get PDI'd in that 3 week time period, even though I told him I needed that tractor asap, as they have my 75hp in the ship for a water pump.

Called another friend of mine who owns the NH dealership close by, and asked if he had a 110 on the lot. He said no, but they just got a Powerstar 120. He sold me that tractor for the same price I was quoted on the 110... AND I picked it up yesterday. smile

Got out in the heat of the morning (It doesn't get cool anymore here) and waxed all painted body and loader surfaces. It keeps it from brush scratching so much, doing what I do with it.

Took nearly a month. I hate buying new pickups, new tractors, or new computers and phones. blush

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got it accessorized with needful things today.

Warning lights, etc. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks really good Barry. I love the blue tractors. What transmission did you get?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That looks really good Barry. I love the blue tractors. What transmission did you get?

Just the standard 12x12 power shuttle. The optional transmission adds about 10 grand to the price. eek

One interesting observation is that my old Case would run 17-18mph down the road.

Took this one home and on a farm to market road that's nice and level, and it ran 26-27mph. Not that I care to be that fast in a tractor, but 22 or so is nice. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Got the rifle mounted, you are good to go

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Just the standard 12x12 power shuttle. The optional transmission adds about 10 grand to the price. eek

One interesting observation is that my old Case would run 17-18mph down the road.

Took this one home and on a farm to market road that's nice and level, and it ran 26-27mph. Not that I care to be that fast in a tractor, but 22 or so is nice. smile

I have a TS115A, made in about 2007 I believe. It has the 16X16 Electro Command transmission, with power shuttle. I didn't care for it when I got it, as I wanted the 12X12. Had to put clutch packs in at around 2000 hours. Had I let Case-IH do it, their estimate was 8-10,000 dollars. A local shop did it for about $2500. I am a big believer in keeping things simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barry, that tractor sho is purtty...... when do I get to drive it?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.