Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have a great shooting .270 Win. which I developed a load for using 60 gr. of H4831sc pushing a 130 gr. Barnes.

I loaded some duplicate loads last winter using H4831, and took them to the range. Two of the first three shots blew the primers (and printed 4 MOA instead of sub MOA) something that has almost never happened to me over the years loading thousands of HP rifle loads.

I took the rest of the box home and pulled them down. Maybe some variance of charges +/- one grain. Everything else in order (brass trimmed, proper OAL, hadn't misloaded 140 gr. pills, etc.). Can batches of powder vary enough to blow primers? Is there typically a pressure difference between standard 4831 and short-cut?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I have a great shooting .270 Win. which I developed a load for using 60 gr. of H4831sc pushing a 130 gr. Barnes.

I loaded some duplicate loads last winter using H4831, and took them to the range. Two of the first three shots blew the primers (and printed 4 MOA instead of sub MOA) something that has almost never happened to me over the years loading thousands of HP rifle loads.

I took the rest of the box home and pulled them down. Maybe some variance of charges +/- one grain. Everything else in order (brass trimmed, proper OAL, hadn't misloaded 140 gr. pills, etc.). Can batches of powder vary enough to blow primers? Is there typically a pressure difference between standard 4831 and short-cut?

How to put this nicely??? Did you not start low and work up? Why does this always have to be stressed and suggested?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

How to put this nicely??? Did you not start low and work up? Why does this always have to be stressed and suggested?

I get your point. But I also infer that you don't know the answers to my question "Is there typically a pressure difference between standard 4831 and short-cut?"

I stacked these what turned out to be over-pressure loads the middle of MT winter, meaning I didn't take the luxury of driving 10 miles out an ice-covered mountain road a couple times to spend time at a -10F bench to "work up." I just trusted the manuals and what I'd already experienced with this rifle and chamber, and that I was under Jack O'Connor's favorite .270 load of 62gr. of H4831 pushing a 130gr. pill (per Waters).

Do you actually have experience with these powders and this load?

Regards,
GC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I get your point. But I also infer that you don't know the answers to my question "Is there typically a pressure difference between standard 4831 and short-cut?"

I stacked these what turned out to be over-pressure loads the middle of MT winter, meaning I didn't take the luxury of driving 10 miles out an ice-covered mountain road a couple times to spend time at a -10F bench to "work up." I just trusted the manuals and what I'd already experienced with this rifle and chamber, and that I was under Jack O'Connor's favorite .270 load of 62gr. of H4831 pushing a 130gr. pill (per Waters).

Do you actually have experience with these powders and this load?

Regards,
GC

Bud Waters and O'Connor weren’t shooting Barnes, sorry big difference.
As far as H4831/4831SC you show me a loading manual that makes a distinction between the 2, so your answer is no, IMR4831 yes or used to be.
Now ~1 grain when listed is 60C @ Hodgdon for that bullet a+1 grain @-10 maybe safe. +1 grain @80+ I wouldn’t even attempt.
Sorry

Swifty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Here are some things to check:

What did the chronograph read for velocity on those two shots where the primers blew?
How old are those cases - how many times have they been reloaded?

I've not seen much of a difference between old 'crunchy' H4831 and newer 'short cut' H4831SC. Hodgon claims that H4831SC is a 'exact ballistic copy' of H4831: https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon-h4831sc/

Plus, for that powder and bullet combo, Hodgdon shows 60 grains as a max charge: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

Were the loads that blew the primers being shot in the same rifle that was the 'test mule' for developing that load? Or were these loads developed in another 270 and then reloaded and shot in a different 270?

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
According to Hodgdon NO diff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Throw you curve ball, have seen that compressed loads or heavily compressed as in 110-115 % have a tendency to push the bullet out over time.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am working with jugs of each and see no difference in either my 30-06, .270, or 6.5-06. I have only used SC in my new to me .284.

Last edited by MikeS; 07/21/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Throw you curve ball, have seen that compressed loads or heavily compressed as in 110-115 % have a tendency to push the bullet out over time.
Now that is interesting and a possible explanation.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Here are some things to check:

What did the chronograph read for velocity on those two shots where the primers blew?
How old are those cases - how many times have they been reloaded?

I've not seen much of a difference between old 'crunchy' H4831 and newer 'short cut' H4831SC. Hodgon claims that H4831SC is a 'exact ballistic copy' of H4831: https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon-h4831sc/

Plus, for that powder and bullet combo, Hodgdon shows 60 grains as a max charge: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

Were the loads that blew the primers being shot in the same rifle that was the 'test mule' for developing that load? Or were these loads developed in another 270 and then reloaded and shot in a different 270?

I wasn't shooting through a chrony, so no info. there. Loads being shot in same rifle. Brass was 2-3X fired. I did rebuild the loads again two days ago (same brass, working up), and got to 60gr. of H4831sc with no pressure signs on a warm day. I did shorten the OAL to 3.23 to make sure I wasn't up against the lands. 4-shot groups, 3 touching.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have reached pressure sooner than expected with some Barnes bullets which for me have generally done best with some jump or shorter COAL than other bullets.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GrouseChaser,

You don't mention which 130-grain Barnes you tried.

As more than one pressure-lab technician has said to me, in various ways, "a chronograph is a handloader's best friend."

My current batches of H4831SC and "long cut" H4831 get within 25 fps of each other, when used in the same charges, with the same bullets, seated to the same depths. But that doesn't mean other manufacturing lots won't vary more.

You might check the case length on those 2-3 times fired cases.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
GrouseChaser,

You don't mention which 130-grain Barnes you tried.

As more than one pressure-lab technician has said to me, in various ways, "a chronograph is a handloader's best friend."

My current batches of H4831SC and "long cut" H4831 get within 25 fps of each other, when used in the same charges, with the same bullets, seated to the same depths. But that doesn't mean other manufacturing lots won't vary more.

You might check the case length on those 2-3 times fired cases.

John
These were TTSX pills (which should be lowest pressure Barnes with the grooves, correct?). I keep my brass trimmed and all measured within spec. Good point on the chrony... I have one I should use more. But honestly, I tend to seek accuracy more than velocity within 5gr. of published max load. Thanks for the input.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Why would we ever look at Barnes loading data ?
The loads for all three 130 gr are the SAME.
Max with 4831 is 57 gr.
HINT: A sierra cup and core like JOC used is not the same as a monometal like the TSX.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well since this is the reloading software section

This is using his seating depth of 3.230 and varying the case capacity

68 grains

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I didn’t go lower than 68 as it wouldn’t serve an obvious purpose but in my opinion 60 is on the very jagged edge depending on actual case capacity of the brass used.
OP use your chronograph it just might save your rifle and appendages.

Swifty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by armchair
Why would we ever look at Barnes loading data ? The loads for all three 130 gr are the SAME. Max with 4831 is 57 gr.
HINT: A sierra cup and core like JOC used is not the same as a monometal like the TSX.
I don't know your source for the Barnes data at 57 gr that you quote but the current load data on Barnes's web site shows a max charge of 60.5 grains of H4831sc for their 127-130 grain bullets:
https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/270WinchesterForWeb.pdf

The Hodgdon H4831 data that I cited earlier was for a 130 gr Barnes TSX bullet in Win cases with WLR primers. Hodgdon lists a max charge of 60 grains of H4831 for a Barnes 130gr TSX bullet.
Here's the Hodgdon link again but remember you have to select the cartridge, bullet weight, powder, etc: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=54

Both of those sources indicate that GCs load should be acceptable given good cases and appropriate bullet seating depths.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Here's another thought. Did the primers actually blow (pop) out of their pocket in the cases, or was there just some leakage of gases around the perimeter of the primer pocket? If it was just leaking gases it may have been due to a batch of defective primers. What brand were the primers?

A few (several?) years ago, Winchester produced several lots of primers where the metal cups were defective. IIRC, the primer cup metal was too thin and/or not properly annealed, and upon firing the curved edge of the primer cup metal failed and high pressure gas leaked out. Many folks had those defective primers, myself included, and Win finally replaced those defective primers. The sad fact was the high pressure gas leaks from those defective primer cups ended up damaging lots of bolt faces.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hard to believe that anyone would take the opinion of a powder company over that of the bullet maker.

Gee, wonder who tested more loads (if any) with the Barnes bullets and 4831 ?

Especially when NONE of you haver a pressure transducer on the OP s rifle.

My load blows out/punctured primers but I'll blame it one the power.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to believe that anyone would take the opinion of a powder company over that of the bullet maker.

Gee, wonder who tested more loads (if any) with the Barnes bullets and 4831 ?

Especially when NONE of you haver a pressure transducer on the OP s rifle.

My load blows out/punctured primers but I'll blame it one the power.

Believe it or not, not all load data is pressure tested. Some is, some is derived from Quickload.

Swifty
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
LOL, who at Barnes told you that ?
Ever visited them ?

The inconvenient truth.
https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/04/evaluating-pressure-signs-in-reloaded-cartridge-brass/

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Here's another thought. Did the primers actually blow (pop) out of their pocket in the cases, or was there just some leakage of gases around the perimeter of the primer pocket? If it was just leaking gases it may have been due to a batch of defective primers. What brand were the primers?

A few (several?) years ago, Winchester produced several lots of primers where the metal cups were defective. IIRC, the primer cup metal was too thin and/or not properly annealed, and upon firing the curved edge of the primer cup metal failed and high pressure gas leaked out. Many folks had those defective primers, myself included, and Win finally replaced those defective primers. The sad fact was the high pressure gas leaks from those defective primer cups ended up damaging lots of bolt faces.
My primers actually blew out, and left an extractor mark on the cases' base face. The brass bases of the two blown cartridges also would no longer fit into the reloading press's #3 base suggesting circumfrance expansion. Must have been well over 59,000 CUP!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hmmm, loaded 1000s or Win primers and never had an issue.
I'd like to see the documentation from Winchester.

The load was 3 gr over Barnes max.
If you assume all 130 gr pills are the same, you best stick with factory ammo.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Are you sure that the rifle is not chambered for the 375 Weatherby?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

The problem with LOTS of Winchester LR primers occurred a few years ago, and was well-documented. You could probably even find several threads on the Campfire about it--including the phone number Winchester provided so people could have their faulty primers replaced, or be reimbursed for them.

"The load was 3 gr over Barnes max." How do you come up with that? The load he used was 60 grains, and the maximum Barnes lists in their on-line loading data is 60.5. (These days on-line data is usually the latest ballistic-lab results from any company, because they can update it far easier than reprinting paper manuals.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might add that I have all the Barnes paper manuals as well, and looked up the .270 in the last one that listed data for the pre-TSX bullets, the Number 3, published in 2001. It lists 60.0 grains of H4831 as maximum for 130-grain bullets.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you are blowing primers use Remington primers the metal is a little heavier

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The problem with LOTS of Winchester LR primers occurred a few years ago, and was well-documented. You could probably even find several threads on the Campfire about it--including the phone number Winchester provided so people could have their faulty primers replaced, or be reimbursed for them.

"The load was 3 gr over Barnes max." How do you come up with that? The load he used was 60 grains, and the maximum Barnes lists in their on-line loading data is 60.5. (These days on-line data is usually the latest ballistic-lab results from any company, because they can update it far easier than reprinting paper manuals.)

I too keep wondering where Armchair got his "57gr. max." information.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It's on the Barnes site for 4831. Probably because you can't get anymore in the case and seat a bullet.
Note that SC is higher as it's denser.
The 4831 load was faster in their test barrel.
Nothing you shoot will ever know the difference.
OP ignored the basic rule of start low and work up.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
armchair,

You're FOS. I just looked, once again, at the Barnes website and the maximum load for the 130s is 60.5 grains of H4831.

Are you by chance looking at the 150-grain data? That does list 57.5 grains of H4831 as max. But GrouseChaser plainly stated that he's using 130s.

Or were you looking at the data for IMR4831--which is also NOT was what GC is using, and is considerably faster-burning than H4831. The max listed for IMR4831 is 57.0 grains with 130s.

You might want to go back to the original post and read it again, slower....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Every time I hear a person ask why their load seemed to be over pressured I start to ask specific questions because the answer is in the details.

I would need to know specific info to be able to come reasonably close to a good estimate of what is happening with your load, but without those specifics I can easily point to too many assumptions being made by the OP and most everyone else.

Ken Waters' book "Pet Loads" is pretty specific about what he did when he tested his .270 Win loads and if you take the time to actually read those specifics, then you will see that he used a longer cartridge overall length (COAL) and a longer trim to length (TTL) for his cartridges. He also used a different bullet. All of these things make for far less pressure than the load the OP describes. Waters also mentions that the differences in case volume caused a difference in pressure and velocity.

Additionally, developing a top end load in the middle of winter in Montana (and yes, I live in Montana too) and then testing the load in the summer will cause quite a difference in pressure and velocity. QuickLoad estimates somewhere around 6,000 PSI and 100 FPS more in the summer (30 degrees vs 90 degrees).

Then don't forget lot to lot variations in powder burn characteristics.

Personally, when I'm working with top end loads, I chronograph everything I do so that I can get some idea of the kind of pressure I'm getting. Chronographs are not perfect but way too many people claim that they aren't necessary, but I disagree completely and the OP's situation would be easier to troubleshoot with measured muzzle velocities. Barnes claims that their bullets were producing muzzle velocities of just over 3100 FPs in a 24 inch barrel, what was the OP getting? Those Barnes loads don't look right to me but if they are then with the information I can dig up they must be pushing the max SAAMI pressure pretty hard. Without knowing the OP's case volume and COAL numbers, and using Barnes COAL and TTL data, QuickLoad says that they are producing just over 69,000 PSI with a muzzle velocity of 3200 FPS. But that number assumes that the standard QuickLoad powder data is correct. It could be that Barnes was using a powder lot with a less energetic powder burn rate, in which case their numbers would be below the SAAMI max and safe to use. Or the OP's powder lot could be hotter than normal and simply too hot for the powder charge.

Regardless, yes, working up your load is the safest way to develop a new load, no matter how cold it is outside. If you don't want to follow safe reloading practices then you really shouldn't be surprised when things don't produce the results you expect. I've heard it said that reloading data is not predictive, it simply tells us what happened when they tested a load. In other words, reloading data is a guide, it doesn't guarantee the results that you will get, so it's up to the person reloading the ammo to verify that it is safe and works the way he intended. Making too many assumptions without verifying anything can bite us pretty badly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.