Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[quote=AcesNeights]Meadows….What’s your second vehicle?…you said you get 2 of your choosing so what’s the 2nd? Inquiring minds. 😀

I’m currently driving an army green 23 tundra trd. I can keep it 18 months before I’m eligible to order a new one.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2018 Premium. Seats are vinyl, and kinda sweaty, but clean up easy. I get 20mpg, in my rural world. So far at 99,000 miles, I replaced 2 sets of tires, 2 sets of low beams, and oil changes. One tire alignment.
I got white, and for some reason the paint chips, and I have rust pinholes in the paint. I read the some primer for white blows. Anyway that is common on white.
Really runs like new. I want a new one, but they are never in inventory.
Local dealer was easy to work with before, but now all the cars have BS add ons like was super wax and tire protection plans. I got the super wax on my 2018 as a free Memorial Day sale, and I don’t see any value. I keep it clean and waxed, so I would not pay for that extra dealer profit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The new one may have their turbo for with a hybrid electric additional motor. Might have some reasonable acceleration.

I really wanted to buy a new 4 runner for my wife a few years ago when she wanted a small suv to take to work and back. Then I drove one and just really didn't like the way it drove mostly due to lack of power. My wife didn't like the poor duel mileage. We still almost bought one because of reliability and resale. We ended up getting an incredible deal on a little Cherokee trail hawk.

Drove it for a few years and sold it for about $4000 more than we paid for it. I kind of miss that little jeep. It had a v6 with a 9 speed and had a real low range transfer case. It got 26 mpg all around and did really well off road with the trail hawk package.

We still like Toyotas and are waiting to see what the 2025 camry offers. If it has a plug in hybrid option that qualifies for the tax credits my wife said she wants one for a good milage car that's easier to park than a suburban just for running to work or on errands.

Bb

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
For starters Toyota doesn't take orders. You tell them what you'd like, they take your deposit and maybe they get a allocation for what you want!

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
30+ yrs ago in my mid life crisis years......(pic of a pic)

I was drivin' this new '89 4Runner (last of the 2 doors)

Chic magnet.......(:

Especially with Mtn bikes on the roof

Yep........Sprocket head back then

Too bad for the 3.0L Slow motor.....):

Yep.....still drivin' 'Yota's ............Even with city tires.........

Just have stepped up to the bigger/stronger 'Yota brothers....LC &LX

All ya 'Yota haters can take a flyin' _F___________

Let's Go Brandon.........FJB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Went to buy a new 4 Runner for my wife in 2002. $40K drive away. She had a Grand Cherokee with 130k and it was falling apart. Fortunately, the deal fell thru when the dealer couldnt get clear title. So, as we walked out of the lot, I said "Whats that over there?"
Salesman, "Oh just a used Land Cruiser". Long story short, we bought it two years old with 40K miles for the same $40K a new 4 runner cost, and have never looked back. We still have it, at 309K miles, and an 02 at 330K miles, and a 2014 with 80K miles. All bought used with 40-70K miles, for half of what a new one cost, and the same money as they wanted for a new 4 Runner . I will go to my grave with nothing but Land Cruisers in my driveway.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bought a new 2022 Highlander this past October for the exact reason that the new 2023 Highlanders were turbo 4s. Didn't want a turbo 4. Won't buy another mid-size SUV with a turbo 4.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm puzzled by the "underpowered" comments about the 4 litre engine. The Mrs. has a 2020 Highlander with that engine that I drive occasionally and I enjoy the torquey response of the engine. I haven't driven it on the highway much. Is it a passing power issue?
I also am opposed to small turbocharged engines.

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone driven the redesigned 2023 Honda pilot? I like the new more squares of styling.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 2014 SR5 4Runner. It’s basically a vehicle used when we go to the cabin with the pups. Has about 33K on it. It has done everything I’ve had it in without the first issue. I replaced the battery last year and put on new tires the year before.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Was just out with my 88 4Runner yesterday.

Rides like a brick, not a lot of power, 5 speed manual, 22 RE engine...590K on original engine.

Just ordered new front discs for the front brakes. Finally replacing them, as they came new on the vehicle when I bought it back in 87.

Looking for an Avalon to replace the wife's 2004 Camry.. I'll probably take that over when I get her a used Avalon.

Heck a new 4 Runner would cost me 5 times of what my parents paid for their new house in 1961, outside of Manassas Virginia, sitting on an acre of land. Last time I was back home in Virginia, went by that house. It has just sold for 1.1 million 2 years ago....

we've been running Toyotas for a long time. We've got 1.3 million miles on the daily drivers we've got in the drive way at the property, that is not including the one Honda Pilot.. that has 320K on it....

New cars don't impress me much... last new car I bought was my 88 4 Runner in Sept of 87, when I got divorced from my first wife.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My old boss ran several 500,000 miles, he drove 160 miles round trip to work.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
I'm puzzled by the "underpowered" comments about the 4 litre engine. The Mrs. has a 2020 Highlander with that engine that I drive occasionally and I enjoy the torquey response of the engine. I haven't driven it on the highway much. Is it a passing power issue?

Does the highlander weigh 5,000 lbs.? The 4Runner does.

Last edited by plumbum; 07/23/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by plumbum

It's a little lighter, 4370 vs 4800#, I wouldn't think that would make a big difference. I am surprised that a 4Runner is that heavy though.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by woodson
Has anyone driven the redesigned 2023 Honda pilot? I like the new more squares of styling.

Hmmmm I like Hondas and think the PILOT is a solid vehicle , it will be wider and roomier than any 4 runner ever made, not to mention better ride . It has Direct Injection, 10 speed transmission which is new, needs a timing belt every 90k . Will need the rear diff and front diff and XFer case fluid changed regularly. DO not know the transmission maintenance schedule is since it is a 10 speed, Honda transmissions normally require 30k maintenance. Drove and Rode a 2023 Ridgeline, same vehicle. It will be 50k plus decently optioned out.

4Runner destroys it in resale value if that is of interest to you, it is of interest to me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

It's a little lighter, 4370 vs 4800#, I wouldn't think that would make a big difference. I am surprised that a 4Runner is that heavy though.

Built like a Tank .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a 2023 TRD Pro in January . Waited 2 years to get the Pro model in the color we wanted.
It has plenty of power for all practical needs & enough towing capacity; more than enough off road options for anyone who still needs a street vehicle.
I can't see buying a true base model & the likelihood of finding one that stripped is low.
Step up to an Off Road or TRD & in the end, I think you'll be happier, I overall.

MM

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can anyone speak to whether they’ve improved the metallurgy and or coating for the frames that made them so rust prone?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yes they are surprisingly heavy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by woodson
Can anyone speak to whether they’ve improved the metallurgy and or coating for the frames that made them so rust prone?

The frames came from an outside supplier and I think it is all Tacomas made in the Fremont Plant. I don't think they had that issue with Japanese Made vehicles.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (29aholic, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 348srfun, 44 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,973
Posts18,519,820
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.