Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back in the early 90s I worked with a guy who found a cheap derringer when mowing his parents lawn. They lived near the interstate and more than likely someone threw it there. I told him to throw it in a lake or give it to the police. Not sure what he did with it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine found a Mauser HSc in a storm drain. He took the gun to the local police department. They took his information and location it was found. a few weeks later they called him and told him to come pick up the pistol. If not reported in a crime or reported stolen it's finder keepers here in Georgia. Even if it was stolen, most folks don't keep serial numbers written down and unless it has some distinguishing marks even if reported stolen without proof they probably aren't getting the gun back.
For the folks on here telling the OP to put the gun back and runaway, Y'all probably the folks who would turn non vaxxers in and call the gestapo on Ann Franks.
IF I lived in such a nanny ass state that by turning in a found gun was a crime, I think I would be moving the hell out of there. No sense on staying, it's already lost and your rights are not coming back.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’ve got a vanguard. Losing it in the woods would be a blessing. Will never happen though because I’ll never hunt with the POS.

Sure it isn't operator error? confused

Mine shoots like every shot after the first, the next bullet tries to crawl through the first hole.

Want to make me an offer? Vanguard First Lite in 6.5PRC…

Don't need it. Mine's a 26" barreled Kuiu Vias pattern in 6.5-300 Wby, amazingly accurate!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Happy for you. Mine is still a POS though. You may not realize this, but Weatherby in their infinite wisdom built the 6.5PRC on a magnum length action. It’s a real jewel.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Give the cops the serial number, have them run a check on it. If nothing, send it off to be rebored into a 338-06. Slap it in a better stock w a nice recoil pad and name it orphan Annie.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Give the cops the serial number, have them run a check on it. If nothing, send it off to be rebored into a 338-06. Slap it in a better stock w a nice recoil pad and name it orphan Annie.

This is fair.

A man who can’t keep track of his rifle doesn’t need one.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Turn it IN? Wow…I’d walk away with that rifle in a second.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would call the sheriffs office to see if it would be handled like any other found item.
Here, found items are held for 30 days and if not claimed by the owner they become the property of the finder.
I'd still return it to the owner after that if they turned up.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You said it was private land but open to the public. I'd take it to the property owner. The true owner would most likely check there to see if anyone found it and turned it in.

Not a lot of private property owners open their land to the public. Good people!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The site "hotgunz" can assist in your determination of it's status. They have a database of stolen firearms.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cracks me up that someone would risk becoming a felon over a found $500 rifle. Makes no sense.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That rifle will be under some cop’s bed in no time.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The OP, Nimblehunter, has received nearly every conceivable option from the masses here. Looks like he can do whatever he wants and he will be in agreement with some of you.
Best advise i could give is do whatever you feel good about.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A pawn shop may be able to tell you if it’s stolen.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple friends of mine were Elk hunting and found a Weatherby Mark V 300 Wby Mag and it's dead owner. They found his wallet and headed several or more miles back to the nearest town and had a gas station owner call the law. After the authorities showed up, they had to lead the proper authorities back to where they found the body.

It turns out that the guy had been missing several years.

Some of you guys from Mt. might remember when this happened. In the mountains above Gardiner.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of scope was on it? 😁

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I found a handgun in the woods on an elk hunt in New Mexico.
Was gonna turn it in to the Sheriff.
I want no part of a possible murder weapon or stolen firearm.
I found the owner a day later out looking for it.

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What happened to the old adage “Finders keepers, losers weepers”? grin

How many of you would take a $20 bill you found in the Walmart parking lot back in the store and turn it in?

Last edited by gregintenn; 07/25/23.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My brothers in law found a crashed WW2 era plane on Boistfort Peak in Lewis County Washington in the late 50's while elk hunting. They spent a few restless nights deciding whether they could salvage the air cooled Brownings. Common sense prevailed eventually and they notified the Sheriff.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What happened to the old adage “Finders keepers, losers weepers”? grin

How many of you would take a $20 bill you found in the Walmart parking lot back in the store and turn it in?

Wasn't at walmart but the local grocery store and more than once. Took it into the store and left the money with them. Teaching my grandkids to do the same. That's my small part in MAGA!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm in the report it but hold it in your possession group. If you had lost it, you'd certainly hope somebody would help you get it back and you might even get a reward. If it turns out to be stolen (unlikely) you're on record as having cooperated.

If there's a 30-day rule, you might give it a light cleaning to stop rust, but don't do anything else to it until and unless it is formally released to you.

It just occurred to me that the first thing I might do is to remove the butt pad. A lot of owners put their info under the pad just in case.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 16,966 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,189
Posts18,543,388
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.